Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pboy2k5

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2005
I noticed the second update fixes the device playback capability between Vuze (torrent software) and iTunes because the first one gave an error message that iTunes was not installed whenever I launched Vuze.

codo

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2006
England, United Kingdom
Gosh I've been putting off restarting for weeks.... I really had better sort this out!

10hlmds.png

hajime

macrumors 604
Jul 23, 2007
Through software update, I got the first update. However, I cannot get the second update. Anybody knows the reason? I am using 10.6.8 Thanks.

adamw

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2006
Since I found I was infected with this yesterday and removed it, I was told to download the "Little Snitch" app, which I googled and installed the 3 hour demo of. I thought my system was clean of this trojan, as I followed the F-Secure removal instructions, but it appears this trojan installs other stuff once it gets in (via the Java exploit).

Little Snitch informed me that a file named .rserv (~/.rserv) in my Users directory on my Mac was trying to connect to cuojshtbohtnet.com or .net and several other strange sounding web sites. I denied them doing so and Googled .rserv and another program on my Mac that was doing similar attempts.

Also watch out for a file named: com.adobe.reader.plist in user launch agents directory. It was attempting to contact these same strange websites as .rserv was. I Googled these names and found in the last few days many other Mac users are seeing this same behavior when catching these "buggers" via the "Little Snitch" app.

Again, even though my system showed clean via the F-Secure instructions after I removed the infected files they mention, I believe I still had 2 other infected program files (same file date of March 29th also) related to this trojan that went undetected, and were only found by running this "Little Snitch" app which monitors programs trying to use your outgoing Internet connection.

widestload

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2008
manchester UK
To find out if you're infected, do this:

Originally Posted by Sirolway
What's the easiest way to determine if you're infected?...

In terminal run:
Quote:
defaults read /Applications/Safari.app/Contents/Info LSEnvironment
You should get this error:
Quote:
The domain/default pair of (/Applications/Safari.app/Contents/Info, LSEnvironment) does not exist
Then run:
Quote:
defaults read ~/.MacOSX/environment DYLD_INSERT_LIBRARIES
You should get this error:
Quote:
The domain/default pair of (/Users/YOURUSER/.MacOSX/environment, DYLD_INSERT_LIBRARIES) does not exist

You can copy and paste the two commands into Terminal. To open Terminal, go to Finder>Applications>Utilities>Terminal. Double click on Terminal. Hit enter after each command.
Just be careful when using Terminal. It's one of the few places where you can really mess up your computer.

when you say that you should see those responses, does that mean you should see them if you are infected, or that's what you should see if every thing's 'normal' and you're not?

DrFreeman

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2010
I noticed the second update fixes the device playback capability between Vuze (torrent software) and iTunes because the first one gave an error message that iTunes was not installed whenever I launched Vuze.

I was getting an error message in MATLAB as well. It is now gone after this update.

i.mac

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2007
It's not unknown for a company to patch a patch if they discover the first patch had issues - just off the top of my head I can remember past instances where Microsoft, Apple, Adobe, and Mozilla did that.

Who cares...

----------

No, just turn Gatekeeper off. Its just there as protection for the uneducated.

I'm an educated person, and I'll turn gatekeeper ON.

I would say that gatekeeper ON is a wise choice for M O S T folks, and most folks who own apple gear are highly educated.

Winter Charm

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2008
So eventually all software will have to be downloaded from the App Store.

Jail-broken Macs? Who would have thought it.

Absolutely wrong.

By default, digitally unsigned apps will not work, but in system pref's there's a toggle that lets you switch. Essentially that toggle lets power users run unsigned apps.

Signed apps will be available from the mac app store AS WELL AS from external downloads.

----------

Gosh I've been putting off restarting for weeks.... I really had better sort this out!

Holy God....

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
In the thread about the initial Java update, there was a reply that it broke uploading to the Mac App Store. I wonder if this patch is to fix that issue?

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.

Also watch out for a file named: com.adobe.reader.plist in user launch agents directory....................

I think that file is safe, I deleted it about a week ago when cleaning up My Mac so I can not open it anymore to see what's inside, I did before and it seemed fine with Me but still deleted it.
I don't have .rserv and I checked My whole disk with clamX a few weeks ago, nothing showed up, also checked for the Java exploit and also nothing there.
So, that file seems fine, but delete it if you are not sure.

In the thread about the initial Java update, there was a reply that it broke uploading to the Mac App Store. I wonder if this patch is to fix that issue?

That fixed it.

wpugh

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2002
Details on second update

The first update installed

• Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_31-b04-413-11M3623)
The second update installed

• Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_31-b04-414-11M3626)
So there is some change to the actual JVM installed. Don't know what the changes are.

jeffmic

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2007
They fixed iTunes Producer with the update.

They fixed iTunes Producer with the update. It had a java error when uploading with version 001

cjmillsnun

macrumors 68020
Aug 28, 2009
I haven't gotten either of these updates and I'm running OSX 10.7.3 on my MBP
Should I be worried?

No I wouldn't be worried. Java isn't installed on Lion by default but is an optional component. If Java isn't installed on your mac then it is safe and there is no need to update.

Wrathwitch

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2009
For what it's worth, this update isn't just for Lion. I just installed it on my iMac which is running SL.

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
Well they are on top of this.

No, they really aren't. If they were, they would have released these patches weeks ago when oracle released them!

----------

Java 6 update 31 for Windows and Linux was released february 27 in reponse to this vulnerability. Apple releases it April 3 - and they apparently still messed it up.

If that's upping their game I'd hate to see their previous game.

I think they took 6 months to get a java vulnerability patched once...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.