Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lgwells1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 27, 2011
USA
I just used Firecore to jailbreak my ATV2 running the latest OS. I went ahead and installed XBMC Eden and installed BlueCops repo. Hulu seems kind of flakey, I tried watching a few different episodes of Colbert Report, but it will not play past the first commercial. Family guy seems to play ok, but it is really picky one which shows I watch. Any tips to get this working a little better?

I am using Hulu free.

Also, if it wasn't for Hulu, I would find this device a little boring. Any other cool things I can do with it?

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
When you say "it will not play past the first commercial", what exactly is happening?

Sometime when it goes into the comercial and it can't load them, it just keep the screen black, but then at the end of the comercial timer, the show will restart, you just have to wait, and I know sometime it seen like forever since you are just looking at a black screen, but the show it is just running.

lgwells1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 27, 2011
USA
When the commercial is done, it exits, and then you return to the episode selection screen. Then instead of seeing the episode you just tried to watch, the name of the commercial takes its place.

Last edited:

dgalvan123

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2008
Turn off commercials

Go to XBMC --> Settings --> Add-ons -->Enabled Add-ons --> Hulu --> Configure and turn off the ads by reducing the intro add count from 2 to zero.

Next, back out to the main XBMC menu and exit to the main ATV menu, then re-launch XBMC. Now, when starting a show you should get no ads and the show should start playing promptly.

For more problems and solutions on using Hulu with XBMC on the ATV2, see this older thread: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1305573/

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
Go to XBMC --> Settings --> Add-ons -->Enabled Add-ons --> Hulu --> Configure and turn off the ads by reducing the intro add count from 2 to zero.

Next, back out to the main XBMC menu and exit to the main ATV menu, then re-launch XBMC. Now, when starting a show you should get no ads and the show should start playing promptly.

For more problems and solutions on using Hulu with XBMC on the ATV2, see this older thread: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1305573/

Does this work with Hulu plus?

dgalvan123

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2008
Does this work with Hulu plus?

I don't have a Hulu Plus subscription, but I've heard from others that it works fine. You just have to go to the same "Configure" screen I mentioned above, and enter your Hulu login credentials.

Even if you don't have Hulu Plus, though, it's advisable to use a Hulu login with the XBMC plugin. That way you can set up your "subscriptions" on your computer at Hulu.com, so that when you use the plugin on the ATV, you can see a smaller list of only those programs you have pre-selected instead of having to slog through the entire Hulu library or use the text search feature.

pheenix11

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2010
Yes it works with Hulu Plus too. My wife exclusively watches Hulu on our ATV2 now because she doesn't want to deal with the commercials on the Roku.

lgwells1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 27, 2011
USA
I figured this out on my own, and finally got around to return to this thread, but it was too late and someone else mentioned the fix.

Hulu without commercials is pretty much worth the jailbreak, by itself.:)

Junkdumpster

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2012
The HD is obviously limited to 720p, since that's what the ATV2 can stream at. Personally, it seems like it's a bit of a lower quality on my ATV2 than say, my Xbox 360 (probably because this is a stream and not a dedicated Hulu App), but not having ads, as well as having everything in my one device, makes it more than worth it.

I'm a Hulu Plus subscriber and can tell you subscriptions work fine. XBMC didn't load it up right away, but after restarting the ATV2 everything showed up and I have my subscriptions!

Outside of making the interface a bit prettier, I don't have any complaints about Hulu Plus on my ATV2. I did have the same problem with returning to the menu before I disabled commercials. It's weird that the service works better without them. I sure hope nobody actually enjoys commercials!

----------

Oh, and as for other cool things you can do with it, are you referring to the jailbroken ATV itself, or just XBMC? I primarily use my ATV jailbrake for XBMC because there's so many features. For starters, YouTube is built right in as an optional add-on, and the ESPN add-on is located in the same source as Hulu.

But I hear Plex is a service that a lot of people actually prefer over XBMC, as long as you have a computer you can keep on at all times. You can also play emulators, which is really awesome if it works, I just haven't tried it yet: http://wiki.awkwardtv.org/wiki/EmulatorsPlugIn

If nothing else, and if you haven't already, install nitroTV to make it easier to find things. And make google your best friend.

Waggins

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2011
Can you view 'web only' Hulu content through apple tv?

I keep running into this issue on my iPad. Seems like the shows I would use Hulu+ for tend to be 'web only'. Since I don't have a desktop or laptop, I'm screwed. I'm wondering if apple tv will get around that. I'd get it if it allowed me to play 'web only' content.

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
Can you view 'web only' Hulu content through apple tv?

A little late of a reply, but with a jailbroken ATV2 you can watched "web only" content through the hulu add-on for XBMC.

I usually use the built-in hulu plus app, but there is more content available on the XBMC hulu app, and you can turn off advertisements.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.