Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
I have the verizon iPad but an AT&T iPhone. I know if I put my AT&T sim in the VZW iPad I will get hspa+ speeds. But what if I had bought an AT&T iPad LTE? Would the iPhone sim still support LTE? My best guess and logic tells me yes, but i'm not sure and can't conduct this test.

Wouldn't that be more worthwhile to do this so you don't pay for two separate bills? Of course barring that you're screwed for phone calls when you have your iPhone sim in your iPad.

Just a thought...

joeshmo2010

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2009
Seattle, WA
If it did work, you'll need to switch your data plan to a 4G LTE plan in order just to see the LTE logo at the top. This requires a call to customer service (unlimited plans only; online for tier plans) and you need the IMEI of one of AT&T's 4G LTE phones. But regardless, I do not know of it will work. I think there have been mixed results.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
If it did work, you'll need to switch your data plan to a 4G LTE plan in order just to see the LTE logo at the top. This requires a call to customer service (unlimited plans only; online for tier plans) and you need the IMEI of one of AT&T's 4G LTE phones. But regardless, I do not know of it will work. I think there have been mixed results.

Oh so LTE plans on AT&T are different from regular data plans? Didn't know that.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it requires a LTE sim card as well and the iPhone only supports up to HSPA+.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it requires a LTE sim card as well and the iPhone only supports up to HSPA+.

I tried to put my iPad 2 sim into my iPad 3 when I got it and it was incompatible according to some error message.

kobyh15

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2011
Then there is no way in hell I'd ever buy an At&t iPad.

Maybe you would if you lived in a rural area that is not covered by either carrier's LTE network, but is covered by AT&T's HSPA+. Not everyone lives where LTE is readily available or will be available in the near future.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
Maybe you would if you lived in a rural area that is not covered by either carrier's LTE network, but is covered by AT&T's HSPA+. Not everyone lives where LTE is readily available or will be available in the near future.

Nah. I wouldnt have even gotten the cellular model if it wasn't for LTE. It was a case of LTE or wifi would just tether to my iPhone if I wanted 3G.

joeshmo2010

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2009
Seattle, WA

iPhone only supports up to hspa+ but the LTE plan provides access to both networks so the plan is compatible with that device. I have this plan since i like to alternate between my 4S and my HTC Vivid (soon to be One X when released).

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
iPhone only supports up to hspa+ but the LTE plan provides access to both networks so the plan is compatible with that device. I have this plan since i like to alternate between my 4S and my HTC Vivid (soon to be One X when released).

I think you misunderstood what I was saying. You won't get LTE speeds on your iPad by installing your iPhone 4/4S sim card because that sim card will only see a max of HSPA+. You need an LTE compatible sim card to get LTE speeds.

I could be wrong, but that's how it worked between 2G/3G. A new sim card was required going from a 2G phone to a 3G phone.

fsamara

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2012
I have an AT&T iPhone 5 with unlimited LTE data. Would I be able to get LTE data on an AT&T iPad mini? Since they are both AT&T and provisioned and capable of handling an LTE connection.

Thanks

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010
I have an AT&T iPhone 5 with unlimited LTE data. Would I be able to get LTE data on an AT&T iPad mini? Since they are both AT&T and provisioned and capable of handling an LTE connection.

Thanks

If AT&T detects that you're using your phone sim in your iPad, they could pull your unlimited, so I'd be careful. They're not stupid.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.