Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
Just got off the phone with AT&T. Reps have no idea about this yet. AT&T hasn't said anything to their own people about it. I think there will be some very frustrated and confused people come sunday...

My friend works in an AT&T store and they had a meeting about it this morning. He sent me a text about it but I honestly thought he was just messing around with me and being sarcastic about AT&T as he usually is ... I had the heads up on this rumor since this morning but didn't take it serious and wrote it off as my buddy joking around LOL... Wow what a pleasant surprise. I blew my chance at 15 minutes of Macrumors fame dammit! :D

MacManTexas56

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005
does anyone know if they will unlock it if i am no longer an AT&T customer??

I paid the ETF on both of our phones, but i can see AT&T saying you still need to be a current customer to do that.

thanks

unlimitedx

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
$200 + ETF.. is that significantly cheaper than the MSRP of a brand new, current-gen unlocked iPhone? Are there any other costs that I'm not aware of?

Yes, in CA the tax is of the unsubsidized price so the $199 iPhone has $50 in taxes. Also you need to pay the first month of bills before you can ETF

MacManTexas56

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005
$200 + ETF.. is that significantly cheaper than the MSRP of a brand new, current-gen unlocked iPhone? Are there any other costs that I'm not aware of?

it ends up being about the same. you might as well just go to apple store and buy a factory unlocked one for $649.

$199 plus tax for phone=$215 or so
1 month of service plus activation=$70 for service, plus $36 activation
$325
total=$646 vs. $700

but you have the hassle of them pulling your credit etc. I would rather just buy directly from apple.

also, what happens if you go through all this and they refuse to unlock it for some crazy reason ;)

Last edited:

Pirate515

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2011
No, I don't know for sure, but I have called AT&T many times asking to have my off contract phones unlocked but their response was always "We can't unlock them, you'll have to call Apple to do that". It just seems a little ironic that a couple of weeks ago a report comes out that Tim Cook helped a consumer unlock a phone so he could use it in Canada on pay-as-you-go. Then more reports after that come out saying that some more consumers that have contacted TC since the first report have had theirs unlocked too.

My thinking is that TC started to get swamped by consumers who had phones that were still locked and he put the pressure on AT&T.
My guess is that it was probably not the swamping alone, but swamping based on AT&T lies. I've heard it from many other sources that if you asked AT&T to unlock iPhone, they would send you to Apple, while Apple's policy has always been that unless the phone was purchased factory unlocked, a carrier was the one that has to authorize the unlock. Once the carrier authorizes it, they have to send the IMEI to Apple, and once Apple adjusts their DB, the user can connect their phone to iTunes and will get the "Congratulations, your iPhone is unlocked" message.

kilj0y

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2012
No thanks I thought about switching to AT&T when I left sprint but unthrottled unlimited 4g data from Verizon is better.

Iceburg640

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2008
eBay

Does anyone think I (an ATT customer) would be able to have an iPhone 4 unlocked that my friend (a T-Mobile customer) bought on eBay a couple of days ago?

Robin4

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2010
RTD-NC
The funny thing is I sent a very long email to Tim Cook just two days ago detailing how I have 2 iP-3G's, 1 iP-3GS and 1 iP-4 all off contract now and how frustrated that I own the device but it is essentially locked.

All I have to say is thank you Tim Cook as we all know that it was not AT&T that initiated this change in policy. I've never had a problem with AT&T's service but this was the one thing that was going to drive me to another carrier.

Something tells me that AT&T did not do this out of the goodness of their own heart. They either felt pressure from Apple or there is a bill somewhere in Congress trying to correct this injustice.

sampdoria

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2010
Useless. Sounds like I have to keep the phone for 2 years. I upgrade every time the new iPhone comes out so I will never fulfill my contract or get my phone unlocked.

Ditto. ATT should at least unlock for outside travel like Verizion does while still in contract. In the meantime, I hope Gevey unlock prices for 4S can come down with this news.

Pirate515

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2011
Does anyone think I (an AT&T customer) would be able to have an iPhone 4 unlocked that my friend (a T-Mobile customer) bought on eBay a couple of days ago?
The way this press release sounds, it probably depends on what terms the original owner parted with AT&T. If they did their 2 years, upgraded to another phone under the contract (which released that i4 from whatever contract it was under), or paid ETF, then I don't see a problem with getting it unlocked. If a previous owner was a dead-beat and had their service cut off due to non-payment, I could see AT&T giving you problems.

I guess with that in mind, whoever bought my old i4 won't be able to unlock it until June 24 this year. I pre-ordered it, received and activated it on the launch day. Not wishing to stick around with AT&T past my contract and yet wanting i4S when it came out, I bought an off-contract AT&T i4S from Apple Store (which was automatically unlocked). Took a SIM out of my i4 and put it in i4S, then sold i4 on eBay. Well, I did have to call AT&T to have them switch me to the HSPA+ plan, during which they updated their system with the IMEI of my i4S, but did not extend my contract. I wonder if that automatically released my old i4 from existing contract. Either way, if whoever bought it wants to unlock it officially should be able to do so in about 2 and a half months.

eagleglen

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Useless. Sounds like I have to keep the phone for 2 years. I upgrade every time the new iPhone comes out so I will never fulfill my contract or get my phone unlocked.

I was worried about the same thing. But the new releases says qualifying accounts include those that "upgraded under one of our upgrade policies." So I would assume that when you upgrade at the time a new iPhone gets released, whether or not you get a full upgrade discount or a partial, that should satisfy the contract on your existing iPhone. Therefore, they should unlock it for you.

Can't be certain until you try, but you should be able to make a stronge argument for it, if necessary.

grad98cofc

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2010
Colorado
I guess I scared them...

with the class action lawsuit I threatened to file.

----------

does anyone know if they will unlock it if i am no longer an AT&T customer??

I paid the ETF on both of our phones, but i can see AT&T saying you still need to be a current customer to do that.

thanks

Yes, if you paid the ETF, and are no longer a customer, they'll unlock it...just got mine done by them a week ago, after an email to Tim Cook.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Finally! Now, please implement shared Data Plans.

I think keeping a subsidized phone structure would be extremely difficult to do in this case. An add-a-line on most family plans is $10. If they share data (just not use it) there is not an increase in the monthly fees paid on that plan. ATT will bring in an extra $240 in the term of the contract on the line in question (don't forget that they are providing voice service to that line still) while they have subsidized somewhere around $400 off the price of the handset. The only way I can see this working is if they opted for some sort of off contract plans (much like TMobile does currently, though I am unsure if they offer any family data package). Either that, or the family data package would be something like $60/mo for 3GB of data, or some similar thing.

typecase

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2005
Awesome!

I'm so stoked about this. I have been dreading the end of AT&T contract because I'd have to get rid of my iPhone. Now, thankfully, I can keep it and use it when travelling which is a blessing. Thanks for doing the right thing, AT&T. :D

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
Now I can finally unlock my 3GS officially, no more BB to deal with. Now if only they could unlock my 4S that is in contract too like they do with all their other phones ;)

Finally.jpg

Dominar

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2011
Northernmost NY State

Yes, that's what I'm thinking. Why have the "off contract option"? If I'm on contract what do they lose by unlocking me? I still have to pay my monthly fee.

I'd like the unlock for occasional travel to Canada (without have to pay $15/mb)!!

Moonfacej

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2012
Anybody who knows how this unlocking process actually works? I'm interested because I bought my iPhone in the US and would like to know if physical presence is needed or is it something which can be done online?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.