Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
A quick look at the back of an iMac disproves this:

You're right of course, but all-in-one and simplicity still requires a bunch of wires and devices. Can we please have at least one Apple multi-port dongle? One add your device to the box external? One or two?

They do still sell a lot and growing number of Macs. ;)

Rocketman

Last edited:

Yamcha

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2008
I would love to see a redesign of the iMac.. It looks spectacular already, but a redesign would be nice..

You know I wouldn't hate it if the new iMacs look like the Apple Cinema Display's, but thats just me..

dashiel

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2003
No, iMac is supposedly a desktop by Apple standards and should be treated as such. If anything it needs MORE ports, it and the Mini should at least have gotten Expresscard slots years ago.

The Mac mini is a desktop as well and it no longer has an optical drive. Apple is always ahead of the curve when it comes to jettisoning dying technology. I don’t think the OD survives past 2012, but certainly by EOY 2013 you won’t be able to buy a Mac with a built in optical drive.

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
No, iMac is supposedly a desktop by Apple standards and should be treated as such. If anything it needs MORE ports, it and the Mini should at least have gotten Expresscard slots years ago.

It's 2012, we don't need ODD anymore. They take up too much room and no one needs them. You can easily get a flash drive that has far more storage. The room the ODD takes up could be used in far better ways. Another fan to keep the iMac cooler, more USB ports, etc.

Everyone seems to be wanting a redesign. It'd be cool, but honestly, i'd rather have a 30" replace the current 27" model instead.

blow45

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2011
At some point they need to figure out vertical height adjustment for the imac, although I am afraid nothing like that is happening this time around, the ergonomics of the imac are dreadful without it.

lifeguard90

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2010
Chicago
finally, dang. Intel pisses me off every year, yet again chip delays, thus Apple pushes back refreshes. It seems that recently whenever a refresh happens, the next one won't happen until ( not a speed bump ) until after the time its predecessor got released. Feb and May 2011 macbook pro and iMac, 2012 April or May and June likely. Even if your not in the market to buy one, its still a kill wait wait and wait. Better be worth the wait, beef up the graphics a ton and DO NOT ADD CRAPPY MATTE SCREENS,

lifeguard90

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2010
Chicago
I like my Macbook Pro. But I sold my 2011 iMac and built my own PC with the money I got from it. It is a lot more powerful, and upgradeable, as desktop computers should be. I feel like the iMac is a large notebook, and will continue that way. Before all the haters vote this down, think about this in regards to the iMac: The hard drive is not user replaceable, and besides the RAM, nothing is replaceable or upgradeable. So, here is my huge "no thanks" to Apple and the iMac.

PC windows is a piece of %$#@

a.gomez

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2008
the non reflective glass is all I care about - if they finally do that it would make our year.

lifeguard90

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2010
Chicago
New hardware with Mountain Lion this summer. Sounds like a plan!

if mountain lion does not come out until late July or August, this wait is going to be one of the longest and bothersome times for no hard ware refresh. & what hek is going to happen to the Mac Pro.. 2010 specs really Apple. Stop being unpredictable, late and un caring for hardware. screw iOS

----------

I would love to see a redesign of the iMac.. It looks spectacular already, but a redesign would be nice..

You know I wouldn't hate it if the new iMacs look like the Apple Cinema Display's, but thats just me..

That would be awesome, if the 27" cinema display was a iMac, id get hands down. anti reflective glass fine, but no old style Matte...

Jamooche

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2011
It's 2012, we don't need ODD anymore. They take up too much room and no one needs them. You can easily get a flash drive that has far more storage. The room the ODD takes up could be used in far better ways. Another fan to keep the iMac cooler, more USB ports, etc.

I totally agree and only have Macs without CD drives. However I was at a concert a few days ago and loved the opening band and bought their CD. Only after I purchased it did I realize what I was doing when the clerk told me that all their music was available for download on iTunes and Amazon. Oh well...at least I keep an old PC around for ripping CDs.

Also, I'd buy a new 27" iMac ASAP if they came out with anti-reflective / anti-glare screens. I know a lot of other people would too.

lifeguard90

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2010
Chicago
financial conference call

don't forget apple is holding a financial call in a few weeks, more often than not a hardware refresh usually falls around the day of the financial results. I would not be surprised to see a iMac or 15" air/ pro refresh sooner than these non concrete rumors

regardless, were int the same spot as last year because Intel delays screw the whole system up For once, amuse me tech world and keep to schedule ! :mad:

Frankied22

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2010
don't forget apple is holding a financial call in a few weeks, more often than not a hardware refresh usually falls around the day of the financial results. I would not be surprised to see a iMac or 15" air/ pro refresh sooner than these :

Is this true? Have they usually done hardware bumps around the time of a financial call? I am really hoping the new 15" MBP comes out this month.

a.gomez

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2008
I like my Macbook Pro. But I sold my 2011 iMac and built my own PC with the money I got from it. It is a lot more powerful, and upgradeable, as desktop computers should be. I feel like the iMac is a large notebook, and will continue that way. Before all the haters vote this down, think about this in regards to the iMac: The hard drive is not user replaceable, and besides the RAM, nothing is replaceable or upgradeable. So, here is my huge "no thanks" to Apple and the iMac.

most think like you - so do not worry what some few think (Apple community not what it used to be)

but it depends on the use - we been in business for a very long time and have been MACs since day one (I made my own PC at home for large photo converts) so going PC at the studio would be hard.

In a perfect world - yes the iMac is way to limiting - but in the selection we have they do the job on stations that really do not need a MacPro or can justify the cost

enjoy your home made rig.

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
I totally agree and only have Macs without CD drives. However I was at a concert a few days ago and loved the opening band and bought their CD. Only after I purchased it did I realize what I was doing when the clerk told me that all their music was available for download on iTunes and Amazon. Oh well...at least I keep an old PC around for ripping CDs.

Also, I'd buy a new 27" iMac ASAP if they came out with anti-reflective / anti-glare screens. I know a lot of other people would too.

Ripping CD's is the only reason i could see wanting an ODD still. But even with that, i've not bought a physical CD in many, many years. I've probably used the ODD in my 2009 iMac maybe 5 times, tops.

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
Two rumours of the anti-reflective screen. I really hope this is true. Especially as they say anti-reflective, not matte. I prefer matte to glossy, but no reflections without the matte compromises would be fantastic.

And for those asking for height adjustment, it would be nice, but unfortunately I'm doubtful. I dream of Apple bringing back something like the G4 iMac but in aluminium with a 30" screen.

Last edited:

InuNacho

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2008
In that one place
The Mac mini is a desktop as well and it no longer has an optical drive. Apple is always ahead of the curve when it comes to jettisoning dying technology. I don’t think the OD survives past 2012, but certainly by EOY 2013 you won’t be able to buy a Mac with a built in optical drive.

So by 2012 I won't be able to buy a Mac Pro a computer designed for Pros or an iMac designed for Prosumers/Pros without any kind of optical drive at all?
Golly, I guess professional people don't use optical media at all.

C. Alan

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2009
Retina level monitor would be mind blowing :)

and I am betting very expensive...

----------

I don't think we will the mid-range Mac tower any time soon. although it would be very nice.

I for one have never understood why Jobs insisted on a glossy screen for the Imac. It seems very counter productive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.