Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Techwriter

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 1, 2010
I have the 64GB 3rd generation iPod Touch which is running iOS 4.3.3. I really want to upgrade to iOS5.

Has anyone had serious issues after updating? I have read about WiFi and battery problems but these may have been resolved in the latest software update. Anything I should know? It's running really well now.

Also, I've read I will lose all my music, audiobooks, movies, and photos. What about my email?

My iPod Touch backs up each time I connect it to the macbook air, but I would manually back it up before upgrading.

If I find I have problems, can I revert to the previous iOS 4.3.3? I don't think I can.

Thanks in advance!

thegreati

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2012
Use Tiny Umbrella to save the 4.3.3 SHSH, so you can revert back if need be.

I have found that some older devices, quite possibly the gen 3 iTouch may not have the best processing power to run iOS5+ at its potential, causing some lag in a lot of its processes.

You will have to re-sync all music/audiobooks/etc. You can always re setup your e-mail acct's and it is all most likely saved on the server anyway.

Pictures are saved in backups.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
I have the 64GB 3rd generation iPod Touch which is running iOS 4.3.3. I really want to upgrade to iOS5.

Has anyone had serious issues after updating? I have read about WiFi and battery problems but these may have been resolved in the latest software update. Anything I should know? It's running really well now.

Also, I've read I will lose all my music, audiobooks, movies, and photos. What about my email?

My iPod Touch backs up each time I connect it to the macbook air, but I would manually back it up before upgrading.

If I find I have problems, can I revert to the previous iOS 4.3.3? I don't think I can.

Thanks in advance!

I have the same iPod Touch and have no problems after updating to the latest IOS.

Techwriter

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 1, 2010
This forum always provides helpful feedback. Thanks to all that replied. It appears that I'm safe to upgrade, and to consider using Tiny Umbrella software, as well as to expect it to take a while to complete. I appreciate all responses.

viperGTS

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2010
I have found that some older devices, quite possibly the gen 3 iTouch may not have the best processing power to run iOS5+ at its potential, causing some lag in a lot of its processes.

Simply not true. My 3GS (same specs as 3rd gen touch) runs iOS 5 pretty good. and i'm jailbroken.

Steven in VA

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2009
+1

My 3rd gen iPod Touch works great with iOS 5.
Also works great as a remote for ATV2 (and 3, I'm sure) so that ATV doesn't need to be in sight. It's actually in a different room from the TV.
Also works great as remote for iTunes for Mac Mini connected to awesome stereo equipment that is 35 (!) years old. It's fun to have such a wildly diverse system work so well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.