Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pman555

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 6, 2012
I finally decided to get an iPad 3 and I'm very excited about it!

However, I've been considering which version to get. My music collection is over 30GB, but I wouldnt necessarily have all my music on my ipad. However, I do worry about running out of space, so I would get at least the 32GB.

Also, I was thinking that it would be nice to get the 3G/4G version, because in case I ever need the cell service, it would come in handy. Cost is not a factor here, because my mother's business would be paying for the monthly data costs. (I'm lucky, I know)

Now, if I were thinking of upgrading when the next ipad comes along, would a black 32GB 3g/4g ipad sell well in a year from now? Or would it being 3g/4g actually hurt the resale value? I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks for your advice. I'm hoping to buy it tonight and pick it up tomorrow.

CandyNJ66

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2009
USA
Yes indeed! iPads are always in high demand especially on Craigslist! You can expect a load of texts/calls minutes after you post an Ad there! You won't have any problems selling it!! :)

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010
The more memory and options like cellullar will increase the up front cost AND the resale value!:apple:

squidkitten

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2012
Omaha
I think you should go for 32G or 64G. Color is always up to preference, but I see a lot more people looking for white than black on craigslist/ebay. Having the LTE enabled iPad would up its value significantly, but because of the split in people wanting Verizon vs. AT&T, it could be a bit harder to find a buyer. Not by much though, there's not going to be a shortage of people wanting an iPad.

Tons of people resell and upgrade every year! As long as you keep your device in excellent condition, you're going to be able to sell it for a good amount no matter what.

h1r0ll3r

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2009
Maryland
64GB/4G model. I got it because I need the oodles of storage space on my iPad. The 4G feature I'll probably use every once in awhile but I'm sure it'll be desirable for someone else down the road.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
The $500 base model is probably the best value/resale value risk.

You can probably sell it for $400 within the next 8 months.

If you got buy a $829 64gb/LTE model. 8 months later. It will be hard to get $729 for it. The number of buyers willing to buy a 8 month 64gb/LTE model for $729 8 months down the road is significantly less than someone looking for value at the $400 price range on the base 16gb wifi model.

plucky duck

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2012
The $500 base model is probably the best value/resale value risk.

You can probably sell it for $400 within the next 8 months.

If you got buy a $829 64gb/LTE model. 8 months later. It will be hard to get $729 for it. The number of buyers willing to buy a 8 month 64gb/LTE model for $729 8 months down the road is significantly less than someone looking for value at the $400 price range on the base 16gb wifi model.

That mindset kind of holds true, I can see it. Those looking for a value are more likely to go for the lesser non-3G/LTE/4G less storage garden variety. 16GB wifi white would be a safe bet in terms of utility you get from the device and the nominal decrease in dollar after after 8-9 months. Easier to get rid of.

I am happy if I can "rent" my iPad 3 for $100 for 8mnths worth of usage, "give it away", and "rent" another new iPad 4 down the road. Think of it as a lease.

omyard

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2010
That mindset kind of holds true, I can see it. Those looking for a value are more likely to go for the lesser non-3G/LTE/4G less storage garden variety. 16GB wifi white would be a safe bet in terms of utility you get from the device and the nominal decrease in dollar after after 8-9 months. Easier to get rid of.

I am happy if I can "rent" my iPad 3 for $100 for 8mnths worth of usage, "give it away", and "rent" another new iPad 4 down the road. Think of it as a lease.

That's the way I look at it. People think it's insane that I always "need" the newest iPad, but I tell them I'm out $100, $200 tops each year because I sell the old one.

johnparjr

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2005
Earth
That's the way I look at it. People think it's insane that I always "need" the newest iPad, but I tell them I'm out $100, $200 tops each year because I sell the old one.

That's what I do this years upgrade cost me $300 for 2 new iPads after I sold our older ones

MacAttacka

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2012
I finally decided to get an iPad 3 and I'm very excited about it!

However, I've been considering which version to get. My music collection is over 30GB, but I wouldnt necessarily have all my music on my ipad. However, I do worry about running out of space, so I would get at least the 32GB.

Also, I was thinking that it would be nice to get the 3G/4G version, because in case I ever need the cell service, it would come in handy. Cost is not a factor here, because my mother's business would be paying for the monthly data costs. (I'm lucky, I know)

Now, if I were thinking of upgrading when the next ipad comes along, would a black 32GB 3g/4g ipad sell well in a year from now? Or would it being 3g/4g actually hurt the resale value? I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks for your advice. I'm hoping to buy it tonight and pick it up tomorrow.

1. Get the biggest capacity you can afford.
2. The earlier you sell the higher the value. Dont try to sell it the launch week of iPad 4 and then cry like some of the babies here because its lost value. I got 95% of my resale value as I sold pre-Christmas.
3. If you want a guaranteed minimum hit then get the 16GB model as its close to the floor price anyway.

d0vr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2011
The more memory and options like cellullar will increase the up front cost AND the resale value!:apple:

I understand why you would think that, but my experiences say that you are wrong. People want a bargain when buying second hand. The fact you splashed out on the biggest capacity and cellular capabilities when first purchasing it means nothing to a second hand buyer. They care that it's second hand, which means cheap.

You won't make your money back on the extra features you are buying. For resell value alone, you want a 16/32gb wifi model. People seem to pay a tiny bit more for white as well for some reason (not sure why other than perhaps more people buy black, so there is less of them? - I'm only speculating there though.)

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010
I understand why you would think that, but my experiences say that you are wrong. People want a bargain when buying second hand. The fact you splashed out on the biggest capacity and cellular capabilities when first purchasing it means nothing to a second hand buyer. They care that it's second hand, which means cheap.

You won't make your money back on the extra features you are buying. For resell value alone, you want a 16/32gb wifi model. People seem to pay a tiny bit more for white as well for some reason (not sure why other than perhaps more people buy black, so there is less of them? - I'm only speculating there though.)

I guess me, not being able to put myself in the "bargain" mode, you are right. I still DO think that the bargain hunter would like to have all these extra features, but like you said, maybe they can afford them.

Copperbtm

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2012
Which new iPad to buy?

I think this is of course a matter of personal opinion, but I have so say I've been very happy that I went with the 32gb. It is big enough to fit everything I need with the advent of iTunes Match and iCloud. Because WiFi has become so ubiquitous, you just don't need to save as much content to your device. Things as changing radically even compared to last year. Of course to each his own, but I don't think it's worth the money. I think you'll get just as much resale on a 32gb as a 64gb. Resale is more about condition than size.

What helped me decide:

http://www.amazon.com/iPad-Reviews-Size

davideotape

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2012

i never did that before this year and i might stick to this but im still not sure. i sold my 32g ipad 3 for $470, picked up the same size ipad 4 for $540 at best buy- $570 after tax, so effectively $100 for a processor upgrade.

its still about $12 month or so for 8 months of "rental", and i also gave away a lot of AV adapters and sync cords with the sale because i didnt need them w/lightning, so depending on the specs and the price i can get i'd still have to want the new version very much.

plucky duck

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2012
iPad 4 16GB wifi is going for $469 at Staples. There's a $50 coupon to bring it down to $419. Can't beat that. Helps when it comes time to resell as you won't feel the ding as much.

davideotape

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2012
iPad 4 16GB wifi is going for $469 at Staples. There's a $50 coupon to bring it down to $419. Can't beat that. Helps when it comes time to resell as you won't feel the ding as much.

wow yeah if you can swing that im sure you could sell it in a year for almost what you paid for it (not including tax)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.