Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Taylor-C

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
UK
Yesterday my Sleep/Wake Button stopped working after nothing had been done to the phone - like no dropping or juice spills or anything. I was just sitting on the train for 3 hours listening to music and when I got off the train it had stopped working...
Has anybody else had a problem like this? If I go to an Apple Store will they be likely to be able to do anything?

Thanks,
Taylor.

euphrus

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2008
I had this same problem, but on my iphone 4. For me the button was able to be pushed flush with the device but would not register as a click and seemed very loose. After hours of frustration i finally came across this and was able to fix it. It works pretty good now. Not perfect, but a fix nonetheless. Also in the accessibility options under settings, turn on assistive touch, that allows you to still lock your phone even if your button is broken.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRt4Zjbx6n4

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
Yesterday my Sleep/Wake Button stopped working after nothing had been done to the phone - like no dropping or juice spills or anything. I was just sitting on the train for 3 hours listening to music and when I got off the train it had stopped working...
Has anybody else had a problem like this? If I go to an Apple Store will they be likely to be able to do anything?

Thanks,
Taylor.

Make an appointment for the apple store. They will replace it for you.

Taylor-C

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
UK
Okay guys, thanks for helping! I'll try and get an appointment at the Apple Store soon... But my nearest one is hours away... I'll update when I have been!

Oh! And thanks for reminding me about AssistiveTouch - so much easier now!

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
FWIW they are likely going to restore it to see if that fixes anything before a full swap, so you might as well start with that, before anything else. Might save you a trip.

Taylor-C

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
UK
FWIW they are likely going to restore it to see if that fixes anything before a full swap, so you might as well start with that, before anything else. Might save you a trip.

Hi. Thanks for your tip! I don't think it's a software issue though as the button is physically stuck down!

Taylor-C

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
UK
Booked an appointment for Tuesday at 7:30pm (BST) - will update when I'm back!

RMC Tech

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2012
Lehigh Valley PA
Nice! Glad they fixed it up. That's normally a tricky thing. It's a whole wire assembly in some cases that needs to be replaced. They'd much rather just give you a refurbed or "new" phone.

Shahmeer Salman

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2012
Hey guys have a problem similar to this on my iPhone 4. When I lock it down, it's screen goes off and I have to press the buttons (Sleep/wake&home) to enter the Lockscreen. Is it a software issue or a hardware issue
I'M NERVOUS!PLEASE HELP!

----------

PS:I have used Assisive Touch. It works perfect for locking it down,but not waking it up

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.