Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 15, 2012
2 Questions:

1) Once a file has been optimized (moov atom placed at the beginning), is it necessary to re-optimize a file after editing the metadata?

2) I have about 300 m4v movies. Some have been optimized (either using Subler or Handbrake), but not all (older rips). Is there a way, on a Mac, to tell where the mood atom is located? Just don't want to be taking time to re-optimize if it's not needed.

obsidian1200

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
1) you don't need to re-optimize after editing metadata. You only need to do it when you add or remove tracks from the file, but even then sometimes it might not be necessary.

2) Not sure about this one. If you haven't added/removed tracks from certain files, you shouldn't need to re-optimize it. However, if you want to be safe, what you could do is just ballpark where the newest older rip is and just re-optimize that and all older .m4v files. Optimizing DVD-quality movies/files usually doesn't take all that long. Also, since you're using subler, don't forget to set the que to optimize files and auto-start, as this will help streamline the batch optimizing process.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 15, 2012
1) you don't need to re-optimize after editing metadata. You only need to do it when you add or remove tracks from the file, but even then sometimes it might not be necessary.

2) Not sure about this one. If you haven't added/removed tracks from certain files, you shouldn't need to re-optimize it. However, if you want to be safe, what you could do is just ballpark where the newest older rip is and just re-optimize that and all older .m4v files. Optimizing DVD-quality movies/files usually doesn't take all that long. Also, since you're using subler, don't forget to set the que to optimize files and auto-start, as this will help streamline the batch optimizing process.

Thanks for the guidance. It makes sense to me, once it's at the beginning, it should be there unless moved to the back. And I see what you mean about re-optimizing if tracks are added or removed as Subler interleaves the tracks.

As for using the Subler queue, I have been having some problems. Subler (0.15b) seems to have some stability issues during the metadata addition step. A crash or two is not unusual, and if it happens with a loaded queue, it can wipe out the queue contents. Which means you have to start over. So I have been doing them 1 at a time. If it were not for the occasion crash, I would give this app a 5 start review.

obsidian1200

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
Thanks for the guidance. It makes sense to me, once it's at the beginning, it should be there unless moved to the back. And I see what you mean about re-optimizing if tracks are added or removed as Subler interleaves the tracks.

As for using the Subler queue, I have been having some problems. Subler (0.15b) seems to have some stability issues during the metadata addition step. A crash or two is not unusual, and if it happens with a loaded queue, it can wipe out the queue contents. Which means you have to start over. So I have been doing them 1 at a time. If it were not for the occasion crash, I would give this app a 5 start review.

You're welcome, glad to help.

Are you using Subler .015b or .015b3? I ask because I've been using b3 and haven't had issues with ques larger than 100 items. Then again, I'm not editing metadata with Subler, only adding the chapter preview images, adding/removing audio/subtitles, and renaming tracks within a file, so maybe the crashes are metadata related. I use iDentify for my metadata needs, but that's just personal preference.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 15, 2012
You're welcome, glad to help.

Are you using Subler .015b or .015b3? I ask because I've been using b3 and haven't had issues with ques larger than 100 items. Then again, I'm not editing metadata with Subler, only adding the chapter preview images, adding/removing audio/subtitles, and renaming tracks within a file, so maybe the crashes are metadata related. I use iDentify for my metadata needs, but that's just personal preference.
The download zip indicates it is 0.15b3 but the "About Subler" only says 0.15. Would you mind checking if your "About Subler" says it's 0.15 or 0.153b? Yes, the only place I have any problem is during the adding of metadata. I tried iVI for metadata but I could not remove the preset fields using that. One of the suggestions for giving more room to the "Description" field in the aTV display was to remove some of the fields. The nice thing about Subler, is that I have the ability to edit the metadata fields so that they are minimal. Does iDentify give you the ability to edit the fields?

obsidian1200

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
The download zip indicates it is 0.15b3 but the "About Subler" only says 0.15. Would you mind checking if your "About Subler" says it's 0.15 or 0.153b? Yes, the only place I have any problem is during the adding of metadata. I tried iVI for metadata but I could not remove the preset fields using that. One of the suggestions for giving more room to the "Description" field in the aTV display was to remove some of the fields. The nice thing about Subler, is that I have the ability to edit the metadata fields so that they are minimal. Does iDentify give you the ability to edit the fields?

For Subler, Finder only identifies it as 0.15, no b3 is attached, so if your zip file says 0.15b3, then you more than likely have the latest version.

Yes, iDentify gives you the ability to edit the fields in the event it fetches the wrong movie data. Also, it has a field for an IMDB URL so you can easily correct the error without doing much of the work yourself. There's a legitimate free version of iDentify, where the paid version only adds a few functions that I personally have never needed. I really like the GUI of iDentify for metadata, I think it's laid out a bit better than Subler's current layout. Again, though, that's just personal preference. Also, adding metadata with iDentify will not necessitate an optimization of the file. The only caveat here is that iDentify is strictly for metadata, so you will need to use Subler for more advanced tweaks to your files.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 15, 2012
For Subler, Finder only identifies it as 0.15, no b3 is attached, so if your zip file says 0.15b3, then you more than likely have the latest version.

Yes, iDentify gives you the ability to edit the fields in the event it fetches the wrong movie data. Also, it has a field for an IMDB URL so you can easily correct the error without doing much of the work yourself. There's a legitimate free version of iDentify, where the paid version only adds a few functions that I personally have never needed. I really like the GUI of iDentify for metadata, I think it's laid out a bit better than Subler's current layout. Again, though, that's just personal preference. Also, adding metadata with iDentify will not necessitate an optimization of the file. The only caveat here is that iDentify is strictly for metadata, so you will need to use Subler for more advanced tweaks to your files.
Again, thanks for your help.

I have just one more question to clarify. Does iDentify, give you ability to eliminate a field completely, not just correct incorrect info? I tried using iFlicks, but it would not let me eliminate a metadata field, only leave it blank. But then on the aTV, the field still appeared, just nothing in it.

Update: I just tried identity and although it looks like a good tagger, like iFlicks, it doesn't give me the ability to customize the metadata fields that are displayed. So, I guess I will continue to use Subler. Takes another app out of the sequence too.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.