Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Christine1234

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 2, 2011
Snowflake, AZ
Today I saw an unwanted Macintosh SE (not an SE/30, just SE) and could not resist. (Yes, I know it's obsolete, but I love old Macs!) I took it home and it runs great, and has System 6.0.8 installed. The label on the back with the serial number is covered with a stuck-on plate that has a cable for locking it to something. Is there some way I can get the software in the computer to tell me its serial number? I would like to look it up on one of those Mac serial number web sites to see when it was made. Thanks!

ivnj

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2006
Nice find I also have an old SE FD HD laying around. My sister used it for college. But it won't turn on anymore unless I' using the wrong power cord. But I think that was standard. I don't have the white one anymore so I used a generic black one. Maybe they had to be apple ones. Hope I didn't fry it. But nothing happened. No noise or nothing. Is the one you got say apple on the cord or anything like that. And is it white or beige color.

As for serial number goto apple symbol and about this macintosh. If not there I don't know. But if you want to know year then watch this good vide I found and its only 10 minutes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZyKlZcqrjk

Christine1234

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 2, 2011
Snowflake, AZ
Nice find I also have an old SE FD HD laying around. My sister used it for college. But it won't turn on anymore unless I' using the wrong power cord. But I think that was standard. I don't have the white one anymore so I used a generic black one. Maybe they had to be apple ones. Hope I didn't fry it. But nothing happened. No noise or nothing. Is the one you got say apple on the cord or anything like that. And is it white or beige color.

As for serial number goto apple symbol and about this macintosh. If not there I don't know. But if you want to know year then watch this good vide I found and its only 10 minutes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZyKlZcqrjk
Thanks, I got the serial number. :)

Sorry to hear that you can't use yours. They use a standard cord, then you have to turn it on using the power button right next to the cord. That flying toasters screen saver is great. The one I got is from 1989, and it's beige, running System 6.0.8.

About a week after getting the SE, I got an ImageWriter II from about the same time frame, but the printer and the SE don't have standard ADB ports for connecting to each other. Any idea what type of cable was used to connect the two?

And a few weeks ago, I got an original copy of the OS on floppies, too!

Love those vintage Macs! :apple:

Christine1234

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 2, 2011
Snowflake, AZ
We had the whole package including the apple image writter II. It was standard abd even for the printer. As for mine according to this it is dead.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3830260?tstart=0

Such a shame capacitors dry out so fast.

There's probably still hope if you can find someone to replace the capacitor. It can be done if you have the equipment and part(s). I have an eMac and new capacitors here, and one of these days I plan to open it up and replace them. If you decide to try it yourself, be very careful of the CRT.

ivnj

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2006
It might not even be bad capacitors. Could be whole power supply. But even on ebay working ones not worth more than 200. Dead with no guarentee maybe 20 dollars max. Maybe I'll just ebay it. And if not just recycle it.

Or if you're good with electronics I can maybe send it to you. What state are you in??

Christine1234

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 2, 2011
Snowflake, AZ
Also the apple guy just showed me this. So cool, look at this.

http://www.gearfuse.com/diy-mac-classic-to-mac-mini-mod/

About the time these Macs were made, I was in the military working on the buildup of electronic equipment, so I've soldered more printed circuit board components than I'd care to count. But as far as knowing what inside a computer does what, or exactly what stuff does, that's where I fizzle. I'm in Arizona. I suggested maybe you might be able to fix it because it sounds like the computer has quite a few memories for you, and besides, they're fun to use and a conversation piece. :)

ivnj

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2006
I tried everything. Turning it upside down. Hitting it. Slapping it nothing. I just plugged it in. And nothing. No sound. Then I jiggled the switch a few times and to my shock it turned on. I was so surprised. But it blinked and won't boot. So Ii turned it off and on again. Now it boots. 13mb used and 13mb available. To bad I have no keybaord. But at least I got an apple II adb mouse at my goodwill store for 2 dollars. Works well for the SE. Was able to navigate windows at least and take pics with my cellphone. So cool. I'll show you some in a few. Reet is my sister by the way.

Christine1234

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 2, 2011
Snowflake, AZ
I tried everything. Turning it upside down. Hitting it. Slapping it nothing. I just plugged it in. And nothing. No sound. Then I jiggled the switch a few times and to my shock it turned on. I was so surprised. But it blinked and won't boot. So Ii turned it off and on again. Now it boots. 13mb used and 13mb available. To bad I have no keybaord. But at least I got an apple II adb mouse at my goodwill store for 2 dollars. Works well for the SE. Was able to navigate windows at least and take pics with my cellphone. So cool. I'll show you some in a few. Reet is my sister by the way.

Great! Glad you got it up and running! I don't know which OS you're using, but mine uses 6.0.8. I borrowed a mouse and keyboard off a Mac PowerPC 7600/132 until the old square button mouse I bought on eBay gets here. The after dark software is fun, and I wish they'd put the flying toasters screen saver on OS X, too.

It sounds like maybe something is loose in your SE, or maybe it just had some dust on things that needed to be shaken off.

ivnj

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2006
Here you go.

Attachments

• IMG_20120404_134855.jpg
    IMG_20120404_134855.jpg
    842.7 KB · Views: 83

Christine1234

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 2, 2011
Snowflake, AZ
Here you go.

Nice! Gotta love the retro-ness of it. They're still useful stand-alone computers if all you plan to do is use it for word processing and typing documents, even though the system's a bit out of date.

My square button mouse arrived, and the seller, who lives in Louisiana, sent a bunch of Mardi Gras beads along with the mouse. Maybe he thinks I'll use them to decorate the SE? :confused:

ivnj

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2006
But still pretty limited. Even usb floppy drives will not be made anymore someday. And no usb printers so can't print anymore unless somebody still makes ribbons. And the printer will fail eventually anyway. Plus we got rid of ours anyway. So finding a good used one that is not ebay over priced is hard.

Anyhow still limited cuz I only have 1mb of ram and I need more. These are good prices. But is SE/30 ram compatible with FD/HD??

http://memoryx.com/apple-se30-ram-memory-upgrade.php

Christine1234

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 2, 2011
Snowflake, AZ
I don't know the answer to your RAM question, but maybe someone else here will be able to answer it. When I need to replace or upgrade RAM, I ask the techs at the store every time just to be sure.

You must need quite a bit more memory than I do. :) Unlike a lot of people, I've never even come close to using a quarter of it on any of my computers, and the SE/30 works fine. It will probably end up getting more than a quarter of its memory used, but it should still be sufficient.

Finding parts is not as hard as it seems. I had a lot of success with a wanted ad on Craigslist asking for old Apple parts and accessories. Someone who used to be an Apple technician gave me a lot of stuff for free, including software I'd planned to buy, and Goodwill is another good source.

Not too long ago Goodwill got a contract and now they carry computers. There are always computers at the Goodwill store here, usually quite a few of them, and they get Macs pretty often. They get so many old Macs that's I've had to pass up quite a few and just start cherry picking them. I even got a motherboard for my eMac G4 for 99 cents there, and mine could use a new one. Actually, I've picked up several potentially useful Apple/Mac motherboards, all for only a buck or two at Goodwill and yard sales. Hopefully they work, and if not, they're still good for components. Then there's always eBay.

I picked up an ImageWriter II to go with the SE/30 for $10.00, and it'll be easier than borrowing the printer off the 7600/132. The printer with the 7600/132 was a freebie as a result of the wanted ad on Craigslist. (Earlier in this thread I asked about a cord to connect the printer to the SE/30, but got one off eBay, so that's solved.) The printer works, and printing cartridges are available on line. It's just a little slow. OK, really slow, but that's easy enough to work around.

Everything in computers eventually becomes outdated, and lots of people want the latest, shiniest gadget. But many of those older items can still meet people's needs and get the job done nicely, depending on what they're looking for and how they will use it.

ivnj

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2006
WOW, impressive. My good will doesn't carry computers. But I got a apple II adb mouse and an apple programmers colorful keyboard for 2 bucks each.

Christine1234

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 2, 2011
Snowflake, AZ
Those are still good finds. Their contract is with Dell, to take used computers of all sorts of makes and models, and most of what the Goodwill gets is not made by Dell. I don't know if the contract is local, statewide, national, or what, but it's made for a good source of parts for me.

I live in a college town, and have heard it said that more educated people tend toward Macs. Maybe this has something to do with it too?

ivnj

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2006
I also just pickedup an ALPS GLIDEPOINT at goodwill for 2 bucks adb version.

ivnj

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2006
I also added ram.

I decided to be brave and do it anyway. Now I got 4mb of ram. Took out floppy, hard drive, and motherboard power cable. Then slid board out and to my surprise I had the tiny black jumper so removed it and installed new ram. Now I got 4mb of ram. Only bad thing was the clips were so tight. Bottom right facing the screen as if board was installed. The bottom slot right side of clip broke. But chips were so tight it stayed in place with the left clip. And 4mb is the max so I never need to open it again. I was scared. But it turned on and no sad mac. Booted right away and now I'm good. Took few seconds longer first time so I was scared. But now it works.

So I got 4mb now and even says under about this finder total 4096k or whatever. So cool. Now I have to try system 7.

ivnj

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2006
LOL, I just went to the goodwill stire and got a brand new box still in wrap for 99 cents of 3m floppy disks 10 pack. How ironic to still see floppy disks for sale. And still sealed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.