Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

leecbaker

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2012
New Zealand
I just tried to call 800-331-0500, and got an automated message saying to call back when the call center opens at 7am Pacific. Is there another number to call?

chuckd83

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2010
I just tried to call 800-331-0500, and got an automated message saying to call back when the call center opens at 7am Pacific. Is there another number to call?

800-335-4685 is international care. They can forward you to after hours technical support.

leecbaker

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2012
New Zealand
800-335-4685 is international care

Just called, and the friendly rep said she didn't know anything about it. I got put on hold while she "checked if anyone here knows anything about it", but that didn't get anywhere. Suggesting that she check Google, NY Times, etc didn't work, as "those sources are unreliable". She said that she could only do something if there was an official statement on ATT.com.

Any other routes to take? I may just wait a few days and let other people figure out how to make this happen.

chuckd83

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2010
Just called, and the friendly rep said she didn't know anything about it. I got put on hold while she "checked if anyone here knows anything about it", but that didn't get anywhere. Suggesting that she check Google, NY Times, etc didn't work, as "those sources are unreliable". She said that she could only do something if there was an official statement on ATT.com.

Any other routes to take? I may just wait a few days and let other people figure out how to make this happen.

I don't think they would know. Just ask if they can transfer you to the after hours technical support. I did it 10 minutes ago.

albertxp06

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2011
California
I signed a two year agreement with a phone back in September 2009. I used another person's upgrade for an iPhone 4 in November 2010. It appears that I am eligible for an upgrade and not on any contract while the other member can upgrade at the standard $200, but is still on contract (as of now).

I am able to unlock my iPhone 4? Yes, it's been less than two years since the iPhone 4 was released, but I fulfilled my agreement. Plus, I've had the iPhone replaced two times. One last time, can I unlock it? (would help since I'm going to Canada in a few days)

yukycg

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2010
My ATT experience unlock iphone 4

I called around 4:30am EST, the rep knows about the ATT does unlock iphone and they check your "line" to see if this is eligible or not. The tech support is the department that do the unlock. Don't waste time call customer service.

20+mins wait time on the tech support line... (dropped call) I guess they have way too many people calling them right now.

Last edited:

b0bab0i

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2012
I signed a two year agreement with a phone back in September 2009. I used another person's upgrade for an iPhone 4 in November 2010. It appears that I am eligible for an upgrade and not on any contract while the other member can upgrade at the standard $200, but is still on contract (as of now).

I am able to unlock my iPhone 4? Yes, it's been less than two years since the iPhone 4 was released, but I fulfilled my agreement. Plus, I've had the iPhone replaced two times. One last time, can I unlock it? (would help since I'm going to Canada in a few days)
How the hell would we seriously know? Just call AT&t and see if you can unlock it.

chuckd83

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2010
I called around 4:30am EST, the rep knows about the ATT does unlock iphone and they check your "line" to see if this is eligible or not. The tech support is the department that do the unlock. Don't waste time call customer service.

20+mins wait time on the tech support line... (dropped call) I guess they have way too many people calling them right now.

What's the phone number? Extension?

yukycg

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2010
What's the phone number? Extension?

611, currently all call got route to the customer service first and then they put you on the tech support long wait list, 30mins and I am still on hold.

Going to take a nap and check the line after that.

chuckd83

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2010
611, currently all call got route to the customer service first and then they put you on the tech support long wait list, 30mins and I am still on hold.

Going to take a nap and check the line after that.

I'm outside of the U.S. I need an 800 number or something.

Moonfacej

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2012
Apologies if this has been asked before but this still isn't quite clear to me:

1. If you obtain the unlock from AT&T, will iTunes make you update to iOS 5.1? Because I would not like to lose my jailbreak.

2. How do you contact AT&T from outside the US? I live in Europe, and I haven't found an e-mailadress or something on the site of AT&T.

(PS: I would like to factory unlock my iPhone which I bought about a year ago in the US of contract. I currently unlock with Gevey sim)

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
Apologies if this has been asked before but this still isn't quite clear to me:

1. If you obtain the unlock from AT&T, will iTunes make you update to iOS 5.1? Because I would not like to lose my jailbreak.

2. How do you contact AT&T from outside the US? I live in Europe, and I haven't found an e-mailadress or something on the site of AT&T.

(PS: I would like to factory unlock my iPhone which I bought about a year ago in the US of contract. I currently unlock with Gevey sim)

1. Based on official unlocks from other carriers, you shouldn't have to update. Just pop the new sim in and the phone should fetch a new activation ticket.

2. You'll need to call them somehow.

baihan8

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2012
Hacienda Heights, CA
Early Contract Termination

For those who are considering paying the contract termination fee, I just called customer service, and the department that processes contract terminations is apparently closed until tomorrow (so much for 24 hour international service...). However, the rep did say it would be possible to unlock after paying the fee. If anyone has luck with contract terminations today, maybe I'll have to make another phone call later...

yukycg

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2010
This is not only confusing and just stupid
According to ATT:
For example: I have iphone 1gen and I keep upgrade every year, in order to unlock that particular iphone, you have to put the old iphone back on the qualified line as an active phone(the system must see you are using iphone 1gen)

And worst, the so called "link" to unlock the iphone is not working, so regardless no one unlocked their iphone as of today and this is stupid.

Leddy

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2008
Can someone in the US try the instructions below. I'm on a two year contract with Vodafone in AUS and I can use other SIMs after completing the following procedure from Vodafone's website. No charge. No complications or hassle.

"Apple iPhone Unlocking Procedure: PLEASE READ THE INSTRUCTIONS CAREFULLY BEFORE YOU ATTEMPT ANY UNLOCK PROCESS.

Before you can unlock your iPhone, make sure that you have done the following:

Your computer is connected to the Internet You have iTunes version 7.7 or later in your computer.

Insert your Vodafone SIM card and turn on the iPhone.

Open the iTunes program and connect the iPhone to the computer using the USB cable.

Wait until your iPhone appears in the Devices and select your iPhone.

Open the Summary tab and make sure you can see the information about your iPhone.

In the summary screen, click the Restore button. If prompted to back up your iPhone make sure that you select or click the Back Up button.

Warning: If you do not back up your iPhone, all your saved media and other data will be erased and you may not be able to recover it.

A confirmation window will appear to restore your iPhone. Make sure that you select or click the Restore and Update button to continue.

Read the “Important Information” displayed on the screen as this will describe to you the improvements included in the software update version.

Click the Next button to continue.

You will be prompted to read and agree with the “Software License Agreement”. Click Agree button to continue.

Wait until the process is completed. Do not interrupt your computer or disconnect the iPhone from the USB cable.

You will notice that the software will be downloaded by your computer from the iTunes store. A progress message will be displayed during the entire process.

Note: This process may take awhile. Depending on your internet connection and the software update file, this process can take at least 30 minutes.

Once your iPhone has been restored, the iPhone will automatically restart. Do not disconnect your iPhone. Leave it until it re-appears in iTunes.

Your iPhone will automatically connect to iTunes store and will be activated and unlocked.

You should now be able to use your iPhone with other operator’s SIM card.

FAQ:

Question 1: My phone asks to enter a PIN number

Answer: Make sure that you have entered the SIM PIN before activating or restoring your iPhone

Question 2: My handset displays a different message than what is shown in this procedure.

Answer: Depending on your computer’s operating system, the procedure steps and messages may slighty differ from what is described in this procedure. Just follow the online screen messages to continue the process.

Question 3: An error message appears saying “We could not complete your iTunes store request due to an unknown error…” and the device requires to be connected to iTunes.

Answer: A connection error to the iTunes store may have occurred. Disconnect the iPhone from the USB connector and reconnect it again. This will start another request to iTunes store for activation and unlocking.

Question 4: My handset does not release from the Vodafone Network.

Answer: It may take up to 48 hours for your device to release from the Apple Database. Please attempt the above process again after this period. Should you continue to experience difficulties following this period, please email handsetunlocking.difficulties @vodafone.com advising the exact error or issue displayed for escalation to Apple."

Best Wishes.

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
This is not only confusing and just stupid
According to ATT:
For example: I have iphone 1gen and I keep upgrade every year, in order to unlock that particular iphone, you have to put the old iphone back on the qualified line as an active phone(the system must see you are using iphone 1gen)

And worst, the so called "link" to unlock the iphone is not working, so regardless no one unlocked their iphone as of today and this is stupid.

You're trying to unlock a first gen? Why not just do it through bootneuter? It's as permanent as an official unlock

Not that the policy makes sense... They seem to suggest that someone who upgraded is also eligible for an unlock, presumably for the old phone. If that's the case, why would anyone be using their old phone as their primary device

daddiogee

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2012
AT&T denying all knowledge

I just called them (800-331-0500) and spoke to tech rep (Tina). Said their team have been told nothing about unlocking iPhones and refused to do it. Suggested keep calling back 'if I am convinced the AT&T statement was true'!

yukycg

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2010
You're trying to unlock a first gen? Why not just do it through bootneuter? It's as permanent as an official unlock

Not that the policy makes sense... They seem to suggest that someone who upgraded is also eligible for an unlock, presumably for the old phone. If that's the case, why would anyone be using their old phone as their primary device

That was just for example, because they said my line is still under contract, and I told him(tech support) that I upgraded my phone every year, and how does it work if I want to unlock old iphone such as iphone 1gen.

I do have an old iphone 3gs, old bootrom, and according to him I have to put this iphone back on one of the active line.

(ATTrep said he could be wrong as there's maybe exception, whatever they cannot unlock as the system is not available to them)

Good luck to all who need to unlock.

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
That was just for example, because they said my line is still under contract, and I told him(tech support) that I upgraded my phone every year, and how does it work if I want to unlock old iphone such as iphone 1gen.

I do have an old iphone 3gs, old bootrom, and according to him I have to put this iphone back on one of the active line.

(ATTrep said he could be wrong as there's maybe exception, whatever they cannot unlock as the system is not available to them)

Good luck to all who need to unlock.

Ah I see. Strange policy. I think we're all better off waiting a few hours just so all the CSRs get on the same page. I personally don't need the unlock, but I would like one. Ideally I'd like to finagle an unlock for my 4S out of them.... Hopefully having a business line helps there. I do still have iPhone 4 I upgraded from, so at worst I can unlock that.

leecbaker

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2012
New Zealand
I just got this number from an Engadget comment, and am currently talking to a tech:
+18668013600

The main number is still closed. Unlike most people I didn't end up on hold at all - just press 2 for technical support, press 1 for device, and immediately connected.

The tech initially wouldn't unlock it, as 2 years hasn't passed- but I paid an ETF when I moved out of the US. After convincing him to check his system, he went ahead and put in the unlock request. Said to expect a call/email in 5-7 days. Gave me a case number, quick and easy. Hopefully the unlock is just as easy.

widoq5

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2011
I just got this number from an Engadget comment, and am currently talking to a tech:
+18668013600

The main number is still closed. Unlike most people I didn't end up on hold at all - just press 2 for technical support, press 1 for device, and immediately connected.

The tech initially wouldn't unlock it, as 2 years hasn't passed- but I paid an ETF when I moved out of the US. After convincing him to check his system, he went ahead and put in the unlock request. Said to expect a call/email in 5-7 days. Gave me a case number, quick and easy. Hopefully the unlock is just as easy.

Hi, did you need to give them your at&t phone number or was the IMEI number enough?

Dominar

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2011
Northernmost NY State
Imagine if this whole thing was a scam to out pressure on AT&T to do unlocks?

Somebody fakes one article! It goes viral. AT&T gets barraged with calls etc and caves.

I'm on with Intl tech chat now. I doubt there's a snowball's chance in hell I'll get an unlock.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.