Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seppukukisses

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 18, 2005
I'm pissed. I got my new 15" powerbook today via fed-ex (apple direct order) and it DOESN'T WORK :mad: . The thing won't boot up, it just beeps three times and the harddrive spins, which means there's no good RAM banks (whatever that is). I found that out here: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=58442

My question being - is Apple going to dick me around on this? This is my first mac and i don't know what the score is. What I want is a new replacement powerbook - I don't want this busted one repaired. Is that something they're going to be willing to do - and if so are we talking about a quick turn around?

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2005
If you JUST got it, you can bring it to the Apple store (with proof you got it that day) WITHIN 10 days (to be safe) of recieving.

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
If the laptop was a custom config from Apple then they will probably give you a hard time and expect you to just send it in for repair. If it was a stock unit then they will be more likely to do a replacement for you. Apple's customer service is hit and miss. If you hassle them enough you will get what you want. I'm sorry to hear about the powerbook and I wish you the best of luck. :(

seppukukisses

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 18, 2005
dotdotdot said:
If you JUST got it, you can bring it to the Apple store (with proof you got it that day) WITHIN 10 days (to be safe) of recieving.

Can I take it to a store that sells Apples like Comp USA? I live in Albuquerque - we're too backwater to get an *actual* store.

cgratti

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2004
Central Pennsylvania, USA
seppukukisses said:
Can I take it to a store that sells Apples like Comp USA? I live in Albuquerque - we're too backwater to get an *actual* store.
First I would call Apple and talk with them. They will give you the nearest Apple certified repair center. It may be close enough to you that you could drive it there and have them look at it.

JzzTrump22

macrumors 65816
Apr 13, 2004
New York
Call Apple immediatley and tell them the problem. If they give you a hard time, just keep bitching to them. If it doesn't work, tell them you want to speak with someone higher up the chain, eventually you will get what you want.

Flyinace2000

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2004
JzzTrump22 said:
Call Apple immediatley and tell them the problem. If they give you a hard time, just keep bitching to them. If it doesn't work, tell them you want to speak with someone higher up the chain, eventually you will get what you want.

Just call them and explain your situation politely and clearly. If you got a DOA machine i do not see any reason they would not replace the unit. Just be nice to the person on the other end of the line, they will hold the power to fix your situation. I have found over the years the killing them with kindness gets far better results then just bitching at them.

-Will

capone2

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2005
chelsea-nyc
I agree with the kindness, sound.....

seppukukisses said:
I'm pissed. I got my new 15" powerbook today via fed-ex (apple direct order) and it DOESN'T WORK :mad: . The thing won't boot up, it just beeps three times and the harddrive spins, which means there's no good RAM banks (whatever that is). I found that out here: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=58442

My question being - is Apple going to dick me around on this? This is my first mac and i don't know what the score is. What I want is a new replacement powerbook - I don't want this busted one repaired. Is that something they're going to be willing to do - and if so are we talking about a quick turn around?

totally helpless on the phone and they will give you whatever you want, trust!

petej

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2004
If it was my new PB I would get my screwdriver out and check the ram out before calling anyone. I'd probably take out the installed ram and put it back in again, making sure that I was careful and grounded. It's not unkown for RAM to becom unseated during transit though it is less common now than it used to be.

And I agree with the other posters, pretend to be clueless and you get much further with any customer service than the agressive smart arse know it all. It's hard at first but you soon get the hang of it.

witness

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2005
Austria
I've returned 2 PowerBooks in the last 2 weeks and Apple have always replaced them very easily, but I did do it at an Apple store.

Their quality control isn't great at the moment, but their customer service is generally unbeatable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.