Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BluePotato

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2011
I am on hold waiting for tech support. I gave the initial cs my imei numbers. She seemed to be aware of the new policy and said the wait times were at least 10 minutes for the tech support which is the next step.

Done with tech support, now I just need to backup and restore to get my unlock to enable via iTunes.

I was told the same thing for my 3GS. I don't know what they did on their end, but they told me I have to do an iTunes backup and retore. I'm restoring now, which should take an hour or so for all 32GB.

I don't have another sim to test it with and want to make sure it's truly unlocked before I go overseas in mid May. Anybody know how I can verify that the phone is unlocked without having another sim?

LapsangSouchong

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2010
the burrows
I bet 90% of the devices never leave the country they are sold in.

Maybe so but this is to really a thing to get excited about.
ZZZzZzZzzZzzzZzzzZzzzzzzz

Perhaps. So stay unexcited. And stay in the U.S.

I'm very excited. I typically have to travel abroad 3-5 times a year. I could easily rack up a thousand dollars in roaming charges per year.

reclusive46

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2011
Canada
With every other iPhone carrier its normally taken a week or two for the unlock to apply over here in Europe. It might be wishful thinking that the unlock will take place over the next few days.

BluePotato

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2011
Other carriers?

What other carriers can I use in the USA on an unlocked iPhone besides T-Mobile?

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
I was told the same thing for my 3GS. I don't know what they did on their end, but they told me I have to do an iTunes backup and retore. I'm restoring now, which should take an hour or so for all 32GB.

I don't have another sim to test it with and want to make sure it's truly unlocked before I go overseas in mid May. Anybody know how I can verify that the phone is unlocked without having another sim?

if you need an activation sim ATT or apple can do that for you.
I just had it done in order to use an old 3Gs as an ipod.

braddick

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
A few minutes with an iClarified tutorial will get your 3G unlocked. Add a GoPhone AT&T SIM and you're rolling with phone and text for $10. a month
Add data with 'unlockit.co.nz and you're in business.

No need to spend a ton of time with AT&T and get nowhere...

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
A few minutes with an iClarified tutorial will get your 3G unlocked.

Which is fine if you're totally okay with jailbreaking and messing with baseband ROMs, and being behind on OS updates while dev teams work on jailbreaks.

Or you can just unlock through AT&T and have it "just work," whether you want to jailbreak or not.

This is definitely a good thing. I fully expect though that the call centers will behammerred and CS reps completely unprepared for this over the next couple days, so probably good to wait a bit while the confusion is sorted out.

----------

What is the use. I am not leaving AT&T so why unlock. With more people doing this there will be less value added for unlocked phones.

I fail to get excited:p

That's your choice; feel free to stay with your locked iPhone.

The fact remains that the availability of this through AT&T is going to do whatever it'll do to the resale market, whether you as an individual choose to unlock yours or not. In any case, one definitely isn't doing themselves any favors, at all, by holding onto a locked iPhone as-is and not asking AT&T to unlock it if they're elligible.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Which is fine if you're totally okay with jailbreaking and messing with baseband ROMs, and being behind on OS updates while dev teams work on jailbreaks.

Or you can just unlock through AT&T and have it "just work," whether you want to jailbreak or not.

This is definitely a good thing. I fully expect though that the call centers will behammerred and CS reps completely unprepared for this over the next couple days, so probably good to wait a bit while the confusion is sorted out.

I agree.
I'd give it a week or 2.
Today you will get many unprepared and untrained AT&T reps not knowing how to complete the process and just BSing you and trying to get you off the phone with excuses of why you dont qualify or either that they dont unlock iphones etc...
And like you a said an officially unlocked iphone is 100 times better than a JB and unlocked iphone for many many reasons.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
It takes 24 hours or so in the uk once the request has been sent through. Next time you sync with iTunes a message pops up saying congratulations your iPhone is unlocked.

bob616

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2008
Well so far it hasn't been working for me. I have a 3GS and an original iPhone I am trying to unlock and they can't find both phones on their system because they were serviced by Apple at so me point and time and I "never called AT&T to tell them that my phone was serviced"... So pretty much they are refusing to unlock even my original iPhone that can't possible be still under contract...

cocacolakid

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2010
Chicago
Add a GoPhone AT&T SIM and you're rolling with phone and text for $10. a month
Add data with 'unlockit.co.nz and you're in business.

ATT announced that starting April 18th all smartphones that want data have to be on a $25 or $50 per month phone plan, in addition to data. So the smallest package is now $30.

MGTR420

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2011
Anyone who did this unlock not receive a message after restoring? I thought it was supposed to say your iPhone is officially unlocked or something...

GadgetGeek407

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2009
florida
I have a friend who is a genius at Apple basically, EVERY iPhone 4s is exactly the same hardware for every single cell phone carrier worldwide. The difference is they are locked on carriers in apples system through the different IMEI numbers. Remember that full priced att iPhone sold are factory unlocked for the simple fact that once they are bought and restored in iTunes they are unlocked.

The reason for this is the there is a list of unlocked imei in apples servers and once the list on att end is updated and you updated in iTunes it matches on that list to unlock it basically how simple it is.

Im on the phone right now myself waiting for tech some CS rep asked me for my receipt I'm like WTF...if i all my lines are not on contract and phones can be from ebay or anywhere else they shouldnt care from what i understand right?

mac.cali

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2012
I have a friend who is a genius at Apple basically, EVERY iPhone 4s is exactly the same hardware for every single cell phone carrier worldwide. The difference is they are locked on carriers in apples system through the different IMEI numbers. Remember that full priced att iPhone sold are factory unlocked for the simple fact that once they are bought and restored in iTunes they are unlocked.

The reason for this is the there is a list of unlocked imei in apples servers and once the list on att end is updated and you updated in iTunes it matches on that list to unlock it basically how simple it is.

Im on the phone right now myself waiting for tech some CS rep asked me for my receipt I'm like WTF...if i all my lines are not on contract and phones can be from ebay or anywhere else they shouldnt care from what i understand right?

They asked me for a receipt also. It seems like the reps aren't up to speed on this process just yet.

cocacolakid

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2010
Chicago

I haven't read anything yet confirming that they're unlocking phones that the end user didn't buy directly from ATT, i.e. off eBay. I hope they do, and it's silly if they won't, since they all were on ATT at one time. But some of the ATT material online and their own statements imply or directly state that the end user must have bought the phone directly from ATT. We'll know more as more people get theirs unlocked (or can't) and post here.

MGTR420

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2011
I haven't read anything yet confirming that they're unlocking phones that the end user didn't buy directly from ATT, i.e. off eBay. I hope they do, and it's silly if they won't, since they all were on ATT at one time. But some of the ATT material online and their own statements imply or directly state that the end user must have bought the phone directly from ATT. We'll know more as more people get theirs unlocked (or can't) and post here.

When I called to unlock my 3GS, they asked which line I bought it on. Thats where they doubled check that I did buy it from them, and when I bought it. They wanted to make sure it was over 2 years.

jmcgeejr

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2010
Seattle, WA
This would still be a very small minority of people and i do not see the excitement.

People travelling abroad is hardly a minority. You make it sound like nobody ever leaves. In most of Europe you can get a 20usd sim card with tons of minutes, texts and internet. On AT&T it would cost you hundreds.

Um...no...not in france or the uk there mate. The sim costs about 10$ usd alone, and then minutes, texts, and data come out of another pool and it's not cheap at all. Your best bet in france is to get the Orange Mobicart. Get the sim with 5e credit, have them get your passport info and put it into the system. Add another 10E and after 24 hours or so get the internet max option for 9e.

reclusive46

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2011
Canada
Um...no...not in france or the uk there mate. The sim costs about 10$ usd alone, and then minutes, texts, and data come out of another pool and it's not cheap at all. Your best bet in france is to get the Orange Mobicart. Get the sim with 5e credit, have them get your passport info and put it into the system. Add another 10E and after 24 hours or so get the internet max option for 9e.

In the UK you can get unlimited data, unlimited texts and 250 minutes for 13USD and no fee for the contract on O2 (GiffGaff).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.