Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Woodcrest64

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 14, 2006
I have this little graphic that is 2"x2". When I try to print it on a 4x6 sheet of paper, my Pixma Pro 9000 prints the page BLANK.

I tried reinstalling the latest drivers but that did not help.

Both Lightroom and Photoshop have this issue. However, if I print a normal photo that takes up the whole 4x6 sheet, it prints fine.

Now, if I print the graphic in Microsoft word it works okay. Its just seems to be Lightroom and Photoshop.

I'm running OSX Lion. My wife's mac runs OSX Lion as well but does not have this issue with the 2x2 graphic in photoshop.

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
I have this little graphic that is 2"x2". When I try to print it on a 4x6 sheet of paper, my Pixma Pro 9000 prints the page BLANK.

I tried reinstalling the latest drivers but that did not help.

Both Lightroom and Photoshop have this issue. However, if I print a normal photo that takes up the whole 4x6 sheet, it prints fine.

Now, if I print the graphic in Microsoft word it works okay. Its just seems to be Lightroom and Photoshop.

I'm running OSX Lion. My wife's mac runs OSX Lion as well but does not have this issue with the 2x2 graphic in photoshop.

I find the Adobe print dialogues can be confusing. It is easy to have something set the wrong way and not notice.

Have you confirmed that print dialogue is using the correct paper size? My best guess is that the application is trying to print the small graphic on what it thinks is a better piece of paper... and in this case it is outside the bounds of your actual 4x6 paper.

But go through each and every setting. But I suspect it is something so obvious that it's invisible to you. Luck.

Woodcrest64

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 14, 2006
Thanks for the quick reply. That's exactly was it happening. I tired turning off "let printer detect paper size" and then it prints a small corner of the graphic on the top corner of the 4x6 paper. I swear I got all the settings for the right paper size. I'm obviously missing something.

I tried a 8x11" sheet of paper and the worked.

I wonder if there is a way to reset all my printer settings for adobe photoshop and Lightroom.

I find the Adobe print dialogues can be confusing. It is easy to have something set the wrong way and not notice.

Have you confirmed that print dialogue is using the correct paper size? My best guess is that the application is trying to print the small graphic on what it thinks is a better piece of paper... and in this case it is outside the bounds of your actual 4x6 paper.

But go through each and every setting. But I suspect it is something so obvious that it's invisible to you. Luck.

----------

I think the best thing to do is to have my wife's laptop side by side with my Mac and compare each setting.

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
When you have the graphic opened in PS/LR - what paper size is indicated? I'm not at my PS/LR system so this is by memory. I think it's File > Page Set Up.

Then.... when you actually start the printing process, there is another place you have to set the paper size. I think,iirc, that you set the paper/printer profile - and then you work with the printer settings... where you can change the paper size. Again. Sigh.

Does this help?

I'll be at my work system later today, and will fire up Ps/Lr if that will help.

Woodcrest64

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 14, 2006
Lightroom has the correct paper size which is 4x6. I have tried that and borderless printing with no success. I tried on my wife's machine again and it doesn't work. I must of printed it off in preview or even word on hers. I could of sworn I printed it in lightroom on her machine.

Anyway, our settings are identical. I tried playing with the graphic in photoshop to make it 1"x1". I even made sure the canvas size was tiny. Still no success. Its odd that word is able to do it.

I turned off "detect paper size" again and that didn't help either. So strange...

The message I get from the printer when I turn "detect paper size" on, is ERROR: The width of the paper you inserted is shorter than the specified size". If I disable it, that's when I get the blank pages. With it on, it doesn't do anything but give me an error message. However, the paper is 4x6, the settings for both programs and the printer are 4x6 too. I even played with the margin settings with no luck.

When you have the graphic opened in PS/LR - what paper size is indicated? I'm not at my PS/LR system so this is by memory. I think it's File > Page Set Up.

Then.... when you actually start the printing process, there is another place you have to set the paper size. I think,iirc, that you set the paper/printer profile - and then you work with the printer settings... where you can change the paper size. Again. Sigh.

Does this help?

I'll be at my work system later today, and will fire up Ps/Lr if that will help.

Last edited:

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
What happens when you print from Ps/Lr to a PDF?

Second of all. Reboot the system. It can't hurt, and it may just clear something up. It's unlikely, but the gain to pain ratio is fairly high.

Have you checked to make sure that the unit of measurement is what you expect... i.e. is Ps/Lr expecting a piece of paper 4cm by 6cm instead of 4x6 inches?

Put a letter sized piece of paper in. Does it print in the bottom half of the sheet? Don't change any settings, just load the paper.

When it doesn't print with the 4x6 paper loaded.... does it sound like it's printing (i.e. the head sweeping back and forth) or is it just spitting the paper out? If it's printing, then I think it confirms somewhat that the printer is printing where it thinks the paper is, not where it really is. Are you sure you are loading the paper against the correct edge? Try the other edge, if you can.

Are you loading just one sheet of 4x6 paper at a time, or do you have 2 or more? If you are loading just one sheet, load a couple of sheets if you can... or if not put a 2nd sheet in place as soon as the 1st sheet has been pulled through. Maybe it think this is a 2 page document and so is waiting for a 2nd sheet. This might happen if the file is bigger than the sheet of paper. In the Adobe print dialogue are you scaling the image down? Change that setting, regardless.

As a temporary work around, try creating an 8x10 (or 8.5 by 11) or whatever is a standard letter size for you document. Place the graphic in (probably) the top left corner. I say "probably" because the printers I am familiar with start printing from the top of the page - but there may be exceptions. Anyway, place the graphic where you want it, keeping in mind that the printer should only print the top left corner (probably).

Luck.

Woodcrest64

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 14, 2006
8x10 works. If I boot into Windows and print from photoshop using 4x6 it prints fine. Go figure...

In OSX it just spits out the paper if I say NO to "detect paper size" . If I use " detect paper size" it will give me the error message saying the paper is too short and won't print. My guess is it's a problem with Lion and adobe software.

There was someone else having a similar issue lion with the canon pro 9000 but never found a work around for it.

What happens when you print from Ps/Lr to a PDF?

Second of all. Reboot the system. It can't hurt, and it may just clear something up. It's unlikely, but the gain to pain ratio is fairly high.

Have you checked to make sure that the unit of measurement is what you expect... i.e. is Ps/Lr expecting a piece of paper 4cm by 6cm instead of 4x6 inches?

Put a letter sized piece of paper in. Does it print in the bottom half of the sheet? Don't change any settings, just load the paper.

When it doesn't print with the 4x6 paper loaded.... does it sound like it's printing (i.e. the head sweeping back and forth) or is it just spitting the paper out? If it's printing, then I think it confirms somewhat that the printer is printing where it thinks the paper is, not where it really is. Are you sure you are loading the paper against the correct edge? Try the other edge, if you can.

Are you loading just one sheet of 4x6 paper at a time, or do you have 2 or more? If you are loading just one sheet, load a couple of sheets if you can... or if not put a 2nd sheet in place as soon as the 1st sheet has been pulled through. Maybe it think this is a 2 page document and so is waiting for a 2nd sheet. This might happen if the file is bigger than the sheet of paper. In the Adobe print dialogue are you scaling the image down? Change that setting, regardless.

As a temporary work around, try creating an 8x10 (or 8.5 by 11) or whatever is a standard letter size for you document. Place the graphic in (probably) the top left corner. I say "probably" because the printers I am familiar with start printing from the top of the page - but there may be exceptions. Anyway, place the graphic where you want it, keeping in mind that the printer should only print the top left corner (probably).

Luck.

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
8x10 works. If I boot into Windows and print from photoshop using 4x6 it prints fine. Go figure...

In OSX it just spits out the paper if I say NO to "detect paper size" . If I use " detect paper size" it will give me the error message saying the paper is too short and won't print. My guess is it's a problem with Lion and adobe software.

There was someone else having a similar issue lion with the canon pro 9000 but never found a work around for it.

Sounds like a driver problem. File a report with the printer maker, there's probably a link on the site. Also - make sure you have the latest printer drivers and profiles. If you open a ticket with the printer tech support, you may get lucky and get access to a beta driver.

Woodcrest64

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 14, 2006
Sounds like a driver problem. File a report with the printer maker, there's probably a link on the site. Also - make sure you have the latest printer drivers and profiles. If you open a ticket with the printer tech support, you may get lucky and get access to a beta driver.

Thanks Snberk103 for all your help. I will give it try!

Cheers!

Woodcrest64

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 14, 2006
FIXED!

So it turns out it was photoshop/lightroom.

I guess Photoshop and Lightroom share the same settings or something regarding the printer.

I uninstalled photoshop and then reinstalled it and presto! I can now print the little graphic on the 4x6 paper with no issues. Go figure!

I did an update for Lightroom to 3.6 and maybe that is what screwed everything up...

Anyway, thanks again for all your help! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.