Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
Disassembly it completely - even remove PSU, then vacuum it all.
Forget that BS about static eletricity - done that with hundreds of computers (and I do it regularly with ones I still have) and never killed one. Luck? I don't think so... Theory is good, real life experience is even better ;)
OFC you need to be careful using vacuum cleaner. Do not hit capacitors etc. Use brush tip.

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
An air compressor with a blower nozzle is the very best. Compressed air cans are okay, but they don't do nearly as good a job.

drorpheus

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2010
what 666sheep said is the true sure way to clean back to brand new. blowing canned air at the heat sinks won't do anything but blow the dust off the top of the heatsinks. Find a take apart guide for your specific model, someone here should be able to help you find that, if not PM me.

The powersupply collects an assload of dust, as well as the squirelcage fan that pulls the heat off the backside of the logicboard thats in the back by your hdd. The best way is to compeletly disassemble it and clean it piece by piece, its not really that hard at all 3 main parts (logicboard, cpus, powersupply) and the fans. I have and AntiStatic brush that I have from photography for lenses and it works great with brushing off the dust on the logic boards or boards in general where air won't take it off. After completely cleaning out mine the temps are a few degrees cooler as well since its getting clean fresh air not dust ridden air with carpet fibres and what ever other kind of particles in the air. I do it every 6-8mo just to keep things like they originally were.

Phildo

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2011
Perth, Western Australia
Weed blower. Does an exceptional job.

Good for cleaning dust out of anywhere (eg car dashboard).

BG56.jpg

NameTheUser

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 31, 2010
Europe, Estonia
Well, I'm a little bit concerned about cleaning it piece by piece because I'm not sure if I can put them back correctly or I can mess something up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.