Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jedi5

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 16, 2009
North Burbs, IL
Is there a way to remove AA off my iPad as the default printer?
I uninstalled AA off my iMac as it wasn't working anymore.
I then tried the Brother app for my printer and that is working great.
When I try to print a picture using the iPad, I keep getting AA as the default printer.
I have to open the Brother app and print from there.

Any suggestions?

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Is there a way to remove AA off my iPad as the default printer?
I uninstalled AA off my iMac as it wasn't working anymore.
I then tried the Brother app for my printer and that is working great.
When I try to print a picture using the iPad, I keep getting AA as the default printer.
I have to open the Brother app and print from there.

Any suggestions?

I don't know how to remove the AA printer, but even if you could, I don't think the Brother app is going to show up there. Brother app is an app, you have to run the app to use it.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Did you turn off the Airprinter on your iMac? It sounds like it's still on. AA is not on your iPad. You iPad is seeing the Airprinter being hosted on your iMac.

Jedi5

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 16, 2009
North Burbs, IL
I don't know how to remove the AA printer, but even if you could, I don't think the Brother app is going to show up there. Brother app is an app, you have to run the app to use it.

OK, I wasn't sure if Brother would show up there.
Prints fine from the app but with AA still showing up as default, I'd like to see.

Did you turn off the Airprinter on your iMac? It sounds like it's still on. AA is not on your iPad. You iPad is seeing the Airprinter being hosted on your iMac.

That's the thing, I don't have Airprinter installed on my iMac.
I uninstalled it and when I do a search, I don't see any traces of it anywhere.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
OK, I wasn't sure if Brother would show up there.
Prints fine from the app but with AA still showing up as default, I'd like to see.

Well, I have two printers avaiable on my network, and they both show up, with one selected as the default, but the other one is also selectable. So if the Brother app could be accessed that way, it would be showing up even if it's not the default.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009

I haven't used AA in a awhile so I can't be absolutely sure but doesn't AA basically create a new printer profile on your Mac? Did you go into System Preferences > Print & Scan on your iMac and make sure any AA printer profiles are gone?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside

Airprint Activator turns on the hidden built in Airprint server support that's in Mac OS X. You didn't turn it off when removing Airprint Activator and the builtin Airprint server is still turned on.

Jedi5

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 16, 2009
North Burbs, IL
I haven't used AA in a awhile so I can't be absolutely sure but doesn't AA basically create a new printer profile on your Mac? Did you go into System Preferences > Print & Scan on your iMac and make sure any AA printer profiles are gone?

Yes I checked and didn't see anything.

Airprint Activator turns on the hidden built in Airprint server support that's in Mac OS X. You didn't turn it off when removing Airprint Activator and the builtin Airprint server is still turned on.

How do I find it and then turn it off?

Jackintosh

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2009
Yes I checked and didn't see anything.

How do I find it and then turn it off?

Find the Airprint Activator icon (printer symbol) on your computer. If it's not in the dock, it will be in a folder by the same name. You can do a search on that name to find it. Once found, click on the icon. There, you can toggle it to be on or off.

Jedi5

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 16, 2009
North Burbs, IL
Once found, click on the icon. There, you can toggle it to be on or off.

But I don't have it installed on iMac. I've searched and searched and nothing is coming up. When AA stopped working a few months back, I uninstalled it completely off my iMac.

I've reinstalled AA to see if I can toggle on/off but I can't even do that.
I click on the icon to toggle but instead I get this message:

AirPrint was activated through Activator V1. Make sure to turn if OFF using AirPrint Activator V1 before using AirPrint Activator V2... 10.6.8

That's fine and dandy, I"ll turn off Activator V1... but where or how?

Jackintosh

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2009
But I don't have it installed on iMac. I've searched and searched and nothing is coming up. When AA stopped working a few months back, I uninstalled it completely off my iMac.

I've reinstalled AA to see if I can toggle on/off but I can't even do that.
I click on the icon to toggle but instead I get this message:

AirPrint was activated through Activator V1. Make sure to turn if OFF using AirPrint Activator V1 before using AirPrint Activator V2... 10.6.8

That's fine and dandy, I"ll turn off Activator V1... but where or how?

You really didn't need to uninstall AA, but rather just turn off version 1, and then download and install version 2. What I'd recommend doing is download and install version 1, then from the printer icon toggle it off. Then download and install version 2 (toggle it to on, share your printer, and set energy save to wake on network access).

Let us know if that worked.

Jedi5

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 16, 2009
North Burbs, IL
Thanks for the help!
The link provided did the trick.

iPad is now printing again.

Night Spring -

You were right, Brother only works via the app.

Thanks again all!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.