Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stratus Fear

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2008
Atlanta, GA
I wonder if someone can sniff the exchange between iTunes and Apple when the unlock is performed, and reverse engineer the unlock process so it can be used on in-contract phones?

If they can do it this easily it shouldn't be that hard to crack, right?

Locked phones (of any brand, not just the iPhone) each have their own unique unlock code. This wouldn't work.

Not that you enter it on the iPhone -- it's a part of the communication with iTunes when you do the sync after your request. At best, you could uncover the code for your specific phone by sniffing the exchange.

goosnarrggh

macrumors 68000
May 16, 2006
I wonder if someone can sniff the exchange between iTunes and Apple when the unlock is performed, and reverse engineer the unlock process so it can be used on in-contract phones?

Trouble is, you'd probably have to remember to repeat this trick each and every time you re-synched your iPhone to iTunes, because otherwise you'd probably find yourself with an iPhone that keeps on re-locking itself.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
I went from the original iPhone (2G) to the 3GS to the 4S. Still have them all, including the original iPhone and the 3GS, so I want to unlock those two, but neither one has a SIM card, unless the old, dead AT&T SIM is still in the 3GS -- I need them unlocked for travel, so I'll be obtaining SIMS in countries we visit the next time we travel abroad, not now.

Can I still unlock them without having a (working) SIM?

And does anyone have the AT&T chat URL?

You do have friends I guess, isn't there anybody in that friend group who has a different sim, doesn't take long to unlock.
Or ask around if anybody has a (non working)sim card from another provider or other country.
Or, you could just call them to get both your phones unlocked and then when you are abroad just put in a sim and sync, that is if you have a Laptop with you.

nilk

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2007

I'd be interested in some details that emerge from someone logging this, but I suspect if they use some sort of cryptographic signing, like they do for iOS updates, that this may not be so easy to pull off, especially on the 4S (since people have not even figured out how to downgrade iOS versions on the 4S once Apple stops signing them, even with the SHSH keys saved).

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
Looks like Apple's business model is very different in USA in relation to the rest of the world. Unlocking a phone is not an issue in Brazil. Actually, it's assured in law. You just have keep paying your carrier's monthly plan or pay a fine proportional to the debt if you want to break the contract.

Example 1: Suppose I get a 12-month contract which includes an iPhone; In the 3rd month, I decide to break the contract; Then I have to pay a fine proportional to 9 months (e.g. 9x the basic monthly bill).

Example 2: I want just to have my iPhone unlocked because I want to exchange SIM cards sometimes (in travels for example); Then I just have to ask the carrier for the unlock. The Oi carrier simply doesn't lock phone by default so it saves some call center work.

mhsoofi

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2011
Ok here is a useful piece of info*

I called AT&T asking them to unlock my iPhone 4, I cancelled my service back in 2011 and paid termination fee. They told me I can't because they have a contact with apple not to unlock iPhones, that means the representative not reading whats going on around him, so I told him yes I can because they is a policy change.*
He looked around and found I was right. Then they transferred me to technical support, they told me I can't because I have to wait till June, also, the representative isn't reading, I told her yes I can because I paid termination fee.
So they did it and got the email right away.

Now here is the tricky part, they tell you to restore your iPhone, but I'm sure a lot of us hate that, so of you have a jailbroken iPhone u r in luck, just follow this to avoid restoring
I had SAM installed from cydia so I deactivated my iPhone using SAM, reboot and connect to iTunes.

Boooom
I got the "congratulation your iPhone is unlocked" now I'm enjoying my unlocked iPhone*

Spike Lightfoot

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2008

...I had SAM installed from cydia so I deactivated my iPhone using SAM, reboot and connect to iTunes.

Boooom
I got the "congratulation your iPhone is unlocked" now I'm enjoying my unlocked iPhone*

What's SAM?

khongaeng

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2008
USA or ประเทศ&
I had SAM installed from cydia so I deactivated my iPhone using SAM, reboot and connect to iTunes.

Boooom

SAM is not required. Once the unlock ticket was submitted (according to rep). All I did was uninstall ultras0w, reboot and connected my iPhone 4 to iTunes (with a foreign sim installed). I was presented with a setup screen for ios5 on my iPhone and after selecting my wifi network it activated my phone automatically.

wassupdoc

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2009
OK here is the logic that I don't understand.

If I am an AT&T user in good standing with a contract after buying the 4s I am either required to complete the contract or pay the ETF right?

So why not make us happy and unlock the phone now so that I can use it overseas with local sims, since even if I want to break the contract I will end up paying the ETF. There is no way AT&T won't get their subsidy money back for the iPhone.

The only reason to make this difficult is so that AT&T can continue to gouge us for international roaming.

I think it would have been better if they unlocked all users phones 90 days after buying the phone as long as the contract is in good standing - like verizon.

coolpal

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2006
unlock confirmation

i called in early yesterday morning (EDT) and after put on hold for about 40 mins by level 1 rep, I finally got confirmation that my iPhone 4 will be unlocked, but the rep said it can take between 24 and 48 hours and I should get an email with instructions, but the email I got was instantaneous which instructs me to just restore with itunes to unlock.

I have been preserving my old baseband so I can unlock with JB and now I am excited and all but I want to be sure that the unlock went thru before i risk losing my old baseband.. is there any way I can verify the unlock without updating my baseband?

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
The only reason to make this difficult is so that AT&T can continue to gouge us for international roaming.

That's one reason that AT&T has this policy.

The other is that by the time you're out of contract, your iPhone 4S will likely be two generations old and less people are going to be bothered enough to unlock it and use it on a different network.

----------

People have been doing that since the iPhone launched (remember that the US is unusual in having single carrier locked iPhones for so long), but now that:

a) The iPhone can be unlocked by most carriers around the world for free or with a small charge
b) Several carriers now offer the iPhone in markets like the United States, not just one
c) Apple sells unlocked iPhones directly to consumers in most markets

People have stopped putting as much efforts into "software unlocks".

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
I had an old iPhone 3G that is currently in use with my parents. I was able to get them to submit the unlock, although I don't know if they will actually complete the final step and backup & restore in iTunes. It was pretty painless, customer service verified the IMEI that was on my records, and transferred me to the unlock department.

Whole process took about 15 minutes, about 5 minutes later got the AT&T email. I had a fan discount, so that might be why I got bumped to the premier support line.

No issue at all that the phone is now being used on a separate account as well, although I didn't volunteer that fact.

Only info needed was the IMEI, and I obtained that by placing my pointer over an old backup in iTunes/preferences/devices, it pops up along with the serial number.

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
chat

Where exactly is the chat? I dont' seem to be able to bring up a chat sessions around.

ricosuave

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2007
In front of my mac
Business Account

Has anybody had any luck with a business account? I called this morning and they have not heard anything about it. Lady had to google it. We got nowhere over the phone. :mad:

nilk

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2007
I have been preserving my old baseband so I can unlock with JB and now I am excited and all but I want to be sure that the unlock went thru before i risk losing my old baseband.. is there any way I can verify the unlock without updating my baseband?

I read that instead of restoring you "Simply run Redsn0w or SAM and Deactivate, then plug into iTunes".

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
Anyone here get a confirmation number 24 hours or more ago and still not unlocked? I chatted with a representative yesterday, gave her my IMEI, and got a confirmation number. But so far I got no email back and my phone still isn't unlocked (I've tried to activate it with a foreign sim a few times).

joemc72

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2010
I'm on with Enterprise chat now. So far so good! Just waiting for info...

I'm wondering now. Been in chat for nearly 30 minutes and not even a 'Still working on it..." message from the person in chat...

MJedi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2010
I tried the chat first, but the wait time I got was 60 minutes. When I called, I chose Technical Support. After entering my wireless number, I got Enterprise Support even though I have a personal account. Probably because I get a FAN discount through work, so I'm considered an Enterprise Customer? The wait time was 4 minutes. After the first rep could not get the unlock process done, even though she said my 3GS was eligible, she transferred me to tech support. Hm, I thought I was calling tech support.

The real tech support rep was able to process the unlock, and I got the confirmation e-mail a few minutes later. I restored my 3GS, and when it was complete, got the "Congratulations, your iPhone has been unlocked." message in iTunes.

So make sure to choose Tech Support for any option.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.