Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

braindamage

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2011
My iPhone 4 started doing this weird thing all of a sudden.
First day: turned off on its own and wouldn't go on when I pressed the two buttons together or just the top, or reset (if that's what it's called), button. I could only have it go on when plugged into the power source. The battery was almost full during this.
Second day: it turned off almost three times and would only go back on when plugged to my macbook or to power source.
Today it has been doing it over and over! What could be the reason? Has the battery gone mad?
Please help! And don't tell me to take it to Apple for a replacement! I have no warranty and I want to know what's wrong before I decide to just throw it away.
I had IOS 5.0.1 on it. I thought maybe updating it would fix the problem but that did not work. I can't go back to a previous version because my iPhone has never been jailbroken.

whtrbt7

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2011
It sounds like either the battery is bad or it's not connected anymore. I would make an appointment with an Apple Genius and then have them check it out. If you need a battery replacement I think it's only $99 or something.

braindamage

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2011
Do you know how I can check if the battery has been disconnected? I opened it up once before to change the wifi antenna... That could be the problem but how come the phone works before its shuts off? If the battery is not connected then it shouldn't charge or stay on for a couple of hours sometimes after being unplugged.

SurferMan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
South FL
Just open the phone and pull the battery again and set back into place making sure the contacts with the power cable are correct, sounds like it may be loose. That or you have a failing battery (does happen) or hardware glitch. I don't think the phone will work if just plugged in and battery removed just like the MBP's and others won't if plugged in w/o the battery so wouldn't matter if the battery wasn't making contact. What's happening is it's charging just enough to stay on when you plug it in but not fully since it sounds like the battery isn't set right or cable is loose.

Reach9

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2010
In America
Definitely a battery issue. Happened to my iPhone 3G a few times for a couple months until it finally died.

Go to the Genius Bar, they'll fix it! :)

DroidRules

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2010
First day: turned off on its own and wouldn't go on when I pressed the two buttons together or just the top, or reset (if that's what it's called), button. I could only have it go on when plugged into the power source. The battery was almost full during this.
Second day: it turned off almost three times and would only go back on when plugged to my macbook or to power source.
Today it has been doing it over and over! What could be the reason? Has the battery gone mad?
Please help! And don't tell me to take it to Apple for a replacement! I have no warranty and I want to know what's wrong before I decide to just throw it away.
I had IOS 5.0.1 on it. I thought maybe updating it would fix the problem but that did not work. I can't go back to a previous version because my iPhone has never been jailbroken.

Take it to apple and have them replace it! JK, have them check it out then maybe a $150 OOW replacement?

braindamage

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2011
I found that the screw and some shield that is supposed to be under where the battery is connected are missing. Could that be the problem?

Last edited:

powaking

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2008
I have an extra battery for an iPhone 4 that I bought but never used. Hit me up if you need a new battery. I think I paid $12 for it, I'll let it go for what I paid.

braindamage

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2011
I have an extra battery for an iPhone 4 that I bought but never used. Hit me up if you need a new battery. I think I paid $12 for it, I'll let it go for what I paid.

I would but I don't think the fault is in the battery itself. Sometimes the phone would last the entire day and then turn off or it would last an hour. Other times after it's fully charged it just turns off as soon as I disconnect the cable from it.

SurferMan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
South FL
I would but I don't think the fault is in the battery itself. Sometimes the phone would last the entire day and then turn off or it would last an hour. Other times after it's fully charged it just turns off as soon as I disconnect the cable from it.
I haven't taken apart on iPhone in awhile but can you post a pic of what you say is missing?

You might as well try a new battery, it's either the battery is on the fritz or the connector isn't making reliable contact with the battery.

sachinkotian

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2012
Hello "Braindamage" - Did you get any resolution on the problem faced. Am facing the same problem with my recently jailbroken iphone 4 (version 5.1.1).. Please help..... notify me on sachin.kotian@hdfcbank.com

Regards, Sachin (India)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.