Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sinser

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2003
And I'm also of the mindset that it'll be discontinued sooner than later, and that makes me want one even more! :cool:

Go for it. I bought mine a few months ago and I'm happy with it. It's a timeless device, all function and no frills.

thefeebster

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2012
The day they stop making these is the same day i go and hoard them!

Bought the 5G when it came out, it died in 2009. Got the 6G right after and haven't looked back. I simply can not imagine life without a classic and having the option to have my whole music collection in my pocket. I transit every day and this never leaves my side.

Its survived many tumbles out of my pocket, a bit dented at the corners but still runs flawlessly. I too love the simplicity of the click wheel and the interface. Only thing i'd change is directed at the 3rd party case creators! Pretty difficult to find anything in stores nowadays. Good thing for ebay.

peapody

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2007
San Francisco, CA
I just got one a couple weeks ago...really love having all my songs in my pocket.

Been really hard to find a case though. I settled on a poorly applied wrapsol, that I am not digging too much. The last time the classic has been updated it was Sept 2009. So about 950 days since last update, whereas each cycle has been about 300 days before that. I'll probably pick up a couple more if Apple discontinues the classic.

sinser

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2003
I just got one a couple weeks ago...really love having all my songs in my pocket.

Been really hard to find a case though. I settled on a poorly applied wrapsol, that I am not digging too much.

I have this one and it's perfect. It's still on sale.

Sylent Syd

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2011
Kitchener, Ont
Go for it. I bought mine a few months ago and I'm happy with it. It's a timeless device, all function and no frills.

I did go for it - got it last week - and i LOVE it! :D So great to have all my music in my pocket - and still with under a 100GB to fill up. I've been ripping a good portion of my vinyl collection with my Macbook Pro and Garage Band to add to it as well.

I'm keeping my iPod Touch - Just restored it to the factory settings and using it for apps.

kuebby

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2007
MD
I also LOVE my classic, at least as much as any other piece of Apple tech I own, because it's perfectly crafted for what it does.

I was in a slightly altered state of mind the other day and I was explaining to my friends how the iPod classic is the perfect piece of technology for what it does. The only improvements I could really imagine, or even desire, would be more capacity (unnecessary for me right now, but I could see it in the future) and an SSD (too costly now, but again, in the future...).

For just listening to music it really is perfect. It's just the right size to fit in your hand and be completely usable with just one hand; the scroll wheel and text menus really are the best way to navigate 100s of artists.

Personally, I plan on continuing to own a classic until I can get my music collection safely implanted in my brain.

MultiFinder17

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2008
Tampa, Florida
My trusty old 30GB 5G is still kickin'! I use it heavily, even though I have an iPhone and an iPad. One of its primary uses is as a carPod, as I can operate it without having to look down at it (Aaah, physical buttons). At this point in its life, I believe that only the back plate, headphone jack assembly, internal frame, and click wheel are original - everything else (front, center button, logic board, LCD, HDD, battery) has been replaced at one time or another. Still, I love that it's easy to open up and work on, which is one of the things that has kept me on the 5G and not the 6G.

JMG

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2006
I still have and use my 160gb Classic in one of my cars to play videos to the monitor. Perfect for the kid on long drives! I can't fit all of my movies on my iPhones or iPad so it fills that role nicely. I have gotten over the click wheel though. If they ever release a 100+gb iTouch, the Classic will be retired. So much more functionality with a touchscreen to find music and make playlists etc.

bobbyjames

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2012
Lowestoft, UK
if Apple were to axe the Classic this year, when roughly could it happen? June? September? I've been thinking about getting a Classic for a while now as I've filled my iPod Touch up and I don't need it for the apps anymore as I've got an iPhone. Part of me has stopped myself buying though in case they do update it this year. Will we likely hear any plausible rumours leading up to an announcement either way on the Classic?

Zendokan

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2011
Belgium
Well, I hope that a 7th generation of the Classic comes, for me Apple has to do only one thing: replace the hard drive with a SSD; That's all.

I bought last Saturday an iPod Nano 16GB after extensively testing the Shuffle, Nano, Touch and Classic.

The Shuffle was disgarded right away: a music player without screen...nothing for me.
The Touch was overkill in functionality and too expensive GB wise with previous generation technology, because I already own an iPhone 4S and iPad 2. It's a great device and perfect as an intro to the Maciverse, but I'm already in it.

So this left the Nano and the Classic. The Classic could store all my music, lay perfect in the hand and had a better sound than the Nano and still I bought a Nano and the sole reason was that the Classic has a HD.
Something that I'm not a fan of in portable devices, especially now that notebooks are making the switch to SSDs.

So, I hope that Apple brings an identical Classic as the 6th gen out with a 64, 128 or 256 Gb SSD and I'll be the first to buy it.

Silverbird0000

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2006
Fort Myers, FL
Well, I hope that a 7th generation of the Classic comes, for me Apple has to do only one thing: replace the hard drive with a SSD; That's all.

I bought last Saturday an iPod Nano 16GB after extensively testing the Shuffle, Nano, Touch and Classic.

The Shuffle was disgarded right away: a music player without screen...nothing for me.
The Touch was overkill in functionality and too expensive GB wise with previous generation technology, because I already own an iPhone 4S and iPad 2. It's a great device and perfect as an intro to the Maciverse, but I'm already in it.

So this left the Nano and the Classic. The Classic could store all my music, lay perfect in the hand and had a better sound than the Nano and still I bought a Nano and the sole reason was that the Classic has a HD.
Something that I'm not a fan of in portable devices, especially now that notebooks are making the switch to SSDs.

So, I hope that Apple brings an identical Classic as the 6th gen out with a 64, 128 or 256 Gb SSD and I'll be the first to buy it.

The current model is the 7th Generation. A new one would be the 8th Generation.

kokako

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2011
I hope the keep the classic going but I doubt they will it doesn't really sell much now.
I bought classics from 2001 until around 2008, now I'm on iPhones and iTunes match, most of my stuff is ALAC, just though I'd future proof my iTunes collection early on, I have some AIFF stuff from early on, I have close to a TB of music now, some high end monitors and some good cans but I don't notice the quality too much between the iTunes match 256 stuff and the lossless, iTunes only has to flick a switch and we'll get the ALAC version and they'll do that eventually just like they moved from 128 to 256, for anyone that's ever submitted music to iTunes for sale you'll remember from day one it was submitted through iTunes producer software as AIFF now ALAC so it's all lossless on their servers, when you buy it it's encoded on the fly to 256.
Classics are great iconic design and totally convenient, imatch is great and you can listen to the stuff before its downloaded so very spotifyish in that respect but classics still do have a place hope they live on ...but they won't.

jcchristopher

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2007
I love my classic too--just wish Apple would go to 320GB

I like having my whole music collection available to me in my car--but since it's now up to 1TB, the classic is the only thing that comes close.
I don't understand why they haven't put a bigger HD in it though.

Chaucer498

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2011
I still have the original Ipod. The very first one that was firewire only and I swear it still works every bit as good as it did when I first took it out of the box. The battery still keeps a charge too. I take it out every so often and plug it in and listen to the old songs I have on it. I don't think I'll ever get rid of it. I remember plugging that bad boy into a firewire port of a PC and getting an automatic BSOD. lol Love that Ipod.

Zendokan

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2011
Belgium
The current model is the 7th Generation. A new one would be the 8th Generation.

IIRC:
1st generation: October 23, 2001
1st generation revision 1: March 21, 2002
2nd generation: July 17, 2002
3rd generation: April 28, 2003
3rd generation revision 1: September 8, 2003
3rd generation revision 2: January 6, 2004
4th generation: July 19, 2004
4th generation with Photo: October 26, 2004
4th generation with Photo revision 1: February 23, 2005
4th generation with Colour display: June 28, 2005
5th generation: October 12, 2005
5th generation revision 1: September 12, 2006
6th generation: September 5, 2007
6th generation revision 1: September 9, 2008
6th generation revision 2: September 9, 2009

The next one would be the 7th generation.

Silverbird0000

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2006
Fort Myers, FL
IIRC:
1st generation: October 23, 2001
1st generation revision 1: March 21, 2002
2nd generation: July 17, 2002
3rd generation: April 28, 2003
3rd generation revision 1: September 8, 2003
3rd generation revision 2: January 6, 2004
4th generation: July 19, 2004
4th generation with Photo: October 26, 2004
4th generation with Photo revision 1: February 23, 2005
4th generation with Colour display: June 28, 2005
5th generation: October 12, 2005
5th generation revision 1: September 12, 2006
6th generation: September 5, 2007
6th generation revision 1: September 9, 2008
6th generation revision 2: September 9, 2009

The next one would be the 7th generation.

From everyipod.com:

As introduced on September 9, 2008, the Apple iPod classic (Late 2008/7th Generation) was equipped with a 120 GB 4200 RPM ATA-66 hard drive capable of supporting "up to" 30,000 songs in "128-Kbps AAC format" or "up to" 150 hours of video. On September 9, 2009, Apple upgraded the hard drive to 160 GB -- increasing the capacity to 40,000 songs or 200 hours of video -- and adding support for "Genius Mixes" via a software patch on September 28, 2009, but it otherwise essentially is identical (some refer to this configuration as the "3rd Generation" iPod classic or the 8th Generation iPod).

Externally, the iPod classic (Late 2008/7th Generation) models also effectively are identical to the 80 GB version of the "original" iPod classic (6th Generation) that these models replaced -- the "original" 160 GB configuration only varies in thickness -- with a 2.5" color LCD display with an LED backlight (320x240, 163 ppi) and either a silver or black anodized aluminum front and a chromed stainless steel back. Like the "original" iPod classic models, the iPod classic (Late 2008/7th Generation) models also do not support video out directly from the headphone jack, but only from the dock, an unfortunate "downgrade" from the iPod 5th Generation Enhanced models.

peapody

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2007
San Francisco, CA

I don't see the point of a 64gb classic...and it is even a stretch at 128gb. The market that the classic hits is for those with massive libraries that cant be fit into the ssd line up.

It has been 3 years since the last classic refresh. Not sure if it is looking good or bad for an classic refresh.

millar876

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2004
Kilmarnock, Scotland UK
I love my classic, it lives inside my sony car stereo and i can control it with my steering wheel controlls. its a 5th gen 120GB silver one.

Ive had, Original mac only 5Gb iPod, 3rd Gen, Photo, video then my current one. each time I've only upgraded due to the newer ones of the highest capacity, as my library grew by number of songs, bit rate or both. after iTunes matching my library (saves a few weeks of recodes) of just over 12000 songs i have around 8GB left. and i can no longer fit all my audio books on it at the same time as my music. I'm kind of waiting for an upgrade or a higher capacity iPod Touch. the wifi synching on that would be handy, the thing would never have to leave my car

kaielement

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2010
As my music collection has grown so has my iPods started off with 4th gen 20gb iPod and I never thought I would fill that up but I did moved on to 40 gb 3rd den filled that up and then got a 30gb 5th gen iPod video and didn't have enough room. When the 160 gb cam out I grabbed it and have owned two now and I have about 80 gb of music and some movies and still have about 30gb left. So yeah my collection is still growing so it would be nice to have like a 250gb or something.

Zendokan

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2011
Belgium
From everyipod.com:

As introduced on September 9, 2008, the Apple iPod classic (Late 2008/7th Generation) was equipped with a 120 GB 4200 RPM ATA-66 hard drive capable of supporting "up to" 30,000 songs in "128-Kbps AAC format" or "up to" 150 hours of video. On September 9, 2009, Apple upgraded the hard drive to 160 GB -- increasing the capacity to 40,000 songs or 200 hours of video -- and adding support for "Genius Mixes" via a software patch on September 28, 2009, but it otherwise essentially is identical (some refer to this configuration as the "3rd Generation" iPod classic or the 8th Generation iPod).

Externally, the iPod classic (Late 2008/7th Generation) models also effectively are identical to the 80 GB version of the "original" iPod classic (6th Generation) that these models replaced -- the "original" 160 GB configuration only varies in thickness -- with a 2.5" color LCD display with an LED backlight (320x240, 163 ppi) and either a silver or black anodized aluminum front and a chromed stainless steel back. Like the "original" iPod classic models, the iPod classic (Late 2008/7th Generation) models also do not support video out directly from the headphone jack, but only from the dock, an unfortunate "downgrade" from the iPod 5th Generation Enhanced models.

This is just a case of "You say tomato and I say Potato" ;)

On some sites, the september 2008 upgrade is called "6th generation Revision 1" and on other sites it's called "7th generation".

I'll just start calling it "The future 'New iPod Classic' " :D to keep in the trend of "New iPad".

Zendokan

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2011
Belgium
I don't see the point of a 64gb classic...and it is even a stretch at 128gb. The market that the classic hits is for those with massive libraries that cant be fit into the ssd line up.

It has been 3 years since the last classic refresh. Not sure if it is looking good or bad for an classic refresh.

I think that the market that the Classic hits has two parts:
1) those with massive libraries
2) those that want a device that plays music without all the other options that iOS devices provide (namely the Touch).

If Apple can get the price and size down of SSD, a 64gb, 128gb and 256gb line would sell.

The 64gb as step in to the series would be profitable enough.
Not everyone needs to walk around with all of his collection because in that case I would walk around with 11 iPods Classic.
I've got several "playlists" in iTunes that I switch between.

kyjaotkb

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2009
London, UK
This is just a case of "You say tomato and I say Potato" ;)

On some sites, the september 2008 upgrade is called "6th generation Revision 1" and on other sites it's called "7th generation".

I'll just start calling it "The future 'New iPod Classic' " :D to keep in the trend of "New iPad".

Actually the 1st/2nd revision of the Classic have, in their black versions, a slightly paler finish than the original one. I have a 2007 black classic, I can definitely see a difference with the current one in the Apple store - current one looks a bit more grey, mine is "blacker".

ThaDoggg

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2010
Burlington, Canada
I have a 80GB classic and I switch it between cars depending which one I drive. I would be pissed if Apple gets rid of it as there's nothing else in the lineup that has such a big hard drive.

JBazz

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2006
I am considering a classic for my audio books. I would love to have all books available on one device. I think I have around 200 books? I keep several on my iPad, a few on my phone and iPods. But there really isn't anything I can find that comes close.

It takes so long to download a book. I am constantly removing and downloading books as my mood changes. The thought of syncing once and only having to worry about new purchases seems like heaven.

I came on tonight to see if any rumors of updating or dropping are out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.