Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RotaryP7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Miami, FL
It just happened. I've babied this iPhone ever since I got it back in October. I got out of the gym, went to my car, I sent a text message and when I checked my iPhone 2 minutes later it was off? It wouldn't turn on.. I got home.. Plugged it in to charge and nothing?! What the?

I'm confused? I don't know how what caused this.. What should I do? I'm guessing take it to Apple? Wow, this really sucks.. My first real issue with an iPhone. And I've had the 3GS & 4. No issues.

Has anyone heard anything like this?

dav146

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2007
To reset iPhone, press and hold the Sleep/Wake button and the Home button at the same time for at least 10 seconds, until the Apple logo appears.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
Hold both the power button and home button for several seconds.
^This. There are few that had this similar issue and by doing a hard reset, seems to bring the device back to life. Try this, while it is plugged in, if it doesn't work and nothing else you tried, then you may have to go to the apple store and get it replaced.

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
Yes, Do a hard reset. The phone is not actually off, it's locked in sleep. I've had this exact thing happen to me a few times. A hard reset cures it every time.

Hold the top power button and the home button down together, and keep holding until you see the apple logo...maybe 15-20 secs. Don't let go until you see the apple. Before the apple you may see the button to power off, but just keep holding right through that.

RotaryP7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Miami, FL
Thanks guys. I don't know how it got stuck in sleep mode? Weird. But yes, holding the power & home button did the trick. What causes that? .. I thought the iPhone was dead for some odd reason.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.