Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As noted by AppleInsider, third-party resellers are beginning to experience shortages of Apple's 15-inch MacBook Pro, hinting that a refresh may be coming in the near future.
Among those resellers reflecting backorder status on some of the current 15-inch MacBook Pros is J&R, which is now sold out of both the 2.2GHz model, which is listed as "out of stock," and the 2.4GHz variety, which is currently advertised as "on order."

In addition, Best Buy has also stopped accepting online orders for the 2.4GHz model for home delivery. The 15-inch notebook is still available on a store-by-store basis, however a quick check of individual store inventory in cities such as Chicago and Austin similarly indicate that between 40 and 60 percent of those shops are similarly reflecting stock outs.
Apple's own online store is not yet showing any delays in fulfilling orders, but the company prioritizes its own distribution channels over third-party resellers, meaning that shortages generally show up first at those resellers.

best_buy_mbp_not_shipping.png

Apple has been said to be ramping up production of new 15-inch MacBook Pro models carrying a thinner form factor, with Intel's rumored April 29 debut of quad-core mobile Ivy Bridge processors undoubtedly driving that timeline.

With dual-core Ivy Bridge processors not launching until early June, it seems that Apple may not be launching upgraded 13-inch MacBook Pro models until that time. As for the 17-inch MacBook Pro, AppleInsider had previously claimed that Apple was likely to use a staggered rollout of the new MacBook Pro form factor, with the 17-inch model not receiving an update until perhaps several months after the smaller models.

Article Link: Reseller Shortages Hint at Forthcoming Update for 15-Inch MacBook Pro

waloshin

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
15" MacBook Pro Air why do we need a 13" MacBook Pro Air when we already have the 13" MacBook Air.

appsforkids

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2012
US
Very Exciting, I can't wait to see where they go with the new mac lineup. I need a new mac pretty bad and have been holding out for the latest greatest!

Skater1405

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2010
I'm just waiting for the new ones to come out so I can get my first mac. My backlight died on my HP laptop and I hate having to use an external monitor.

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
It looks like the 15" MBP will be the first of a refresh of the entire Mac lineup. It should be a good guide as what to expect. Will we see Retina? I hope so.

Doc750

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2010
I anxiously waiting to see what changes are in store. Hopefully it will be a substantial change and not just incremental improvements

Proph3T

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2010
I am most curious to see what they do with the 17in model. Its hard to imagine a MacBook air styled 17in

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
get rid of the superdrive and put in a bad ass battery to power the retina display (wishful thinking) ^^

I am most curious to see what they do with the 17in model. Its hard to imagine a MacBook air styled 17in

it would be the perfect murder weapon

Frankied22

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2010
I really hope they release them this month. Right now all I have to use is my iPhone and a new iPad. Come on I want a 15" MBP!!!!

SPNarwhal

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2009
illinois
Why is everyone so against the 13" Macbook Pro?
I love the 13" Macbook Pro. I would rather have a 13" Macbook Pro than a 13" Macbook Air. :(

Or a 15" and 17" too for that matter.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
Why is everyone so against the 13" Macbook Pro?
I love the 13" Macbook Pro. I would rather have a 13" Macbook Pro than a 13" Macbook Air. :(

Or a 15" and 17" too for that matter.

same, 13 is the perfect size. 15 is already too big to carry around for me

djl

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2005
Still running an '06 core 2 duo 17" MBP. Ivy Bridge is very tempting... :)

bohnje

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2011
Yes!

Very excited about the refresh! I just hope they don't make it too much like the air. I would rather have more power and storage then reduced thickness. If I wanted an air, I would buy an air.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
get rid of the superdrive and put in a bad ass battery to power the retina display (wishful thinking) ^^

Just make it thin/light enough so that if you do need the external SuperDrive, at least you’re not lugging much more than you used to!

(I’ve used MB Airs as my primary machine since the first 2008 model, and have never needed an optical drive. AirDrive has been enough—and I use it maybe once a year. To watch library DVDs, I’d need one—but I have another DVD player for that. As for mobile movie-watching, lugging a scratchable disc is the wrong answer!)

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
Come on...where the 'Shut up and take my money photo'...and no I'm not posting it.
Please Lord, let there be an anti-glare option.

I can see this issue with a desktop, but you have a laptop...it's movable...

Move
away
from
the
window

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.