Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Thank you very much for this.
Ive been using AppDelete and thinking Ive been doing a good job in keeping my system clean!

Is there any way to search for orphaned files etc from apps I may have previously removed with AppDelete?
Yes, use the method I described and search for the app names.

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
Cant remember all the apps Ive deleted in the past! Thought there may be a way to search for all files that havent been used for a certain amount of time etc?

netbeans

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2010
While this thread is a few months old, I'll add this for those who might find it in a search:

To manually remove an application and all associated files:
  1. Launch Finder and search for the app name (hopefully unique, such as Skype)
  2. You can narrow the search to specific folders or search your whole Mac
  3. Searching "File Name" vs "Contents" usually provides better results.
  4. Click the + button below the search term to add criteria
  5. Click the "Album" drop-down and select "System files"
  6. Click the "Don't include" and change to "include"
  7. Sort by name, kind, date, etc. to identify components of the app, such as folders, .plist files, cache files. etc.
  8. Delete all files and folders related to the app.
  9. Don't empty your Trash until you've determined that everything is working OK, in case you need to restore something you deleted by accident.
  10. A reboot might be necessary to completely remove some apps.
attachment.php

Thank you for the excellent guide. Very useful to a newbie like me :D

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
But do all apps have files with the app name in them??
If, for example, an app has a file that does not have the app name in it, you obviously wouldnt find it in a search......or is it common for apps on the MAC platform to have the app name in every file it creates?

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
I have a trial of the Adobe Suite on my computer that I want to fully delete. I know Adobe leaves residuals in your library and system files sometimes even after you go and delete it. Is there a Mac app that fully deletes programs?

Oldish thread but I'd like to stress that there are two questions here:

One, how to fully remove Adobe Creative Suite apps and all their traces. Two, how to remove apps generally. I'll concentrate on the first as no manual method will root out all their pesky files.

To fully remove Creative Suite apps, whether they're trials or working versions, run Adobe CS Clean Scripts or Cleaners.

CS5 Clean Script

:)

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
But do all apps have files with the app name in them??
If, for example, an app has a file that does not have the app name in it, you obviously wouldnt find it in a search......or is it common for apps on the MAC platform to have the app name in every file it creates?
It is possible that some files/folders associated with an app may not have the app name in them, or may have a variation or only part of the app's name. That's why step 7 in my post suggests searching by date, kind, etc. to help identify the files that were installed at the same time that the app was installed, or have other characteristics that identify app components.. Using the manual method, it's still possible to miss something, but it's a much more thorough method than any of the gener app removal software available.
One, how to fully remove Adobe Creative Suite apps and all their traces. Two, how to remove apps generally. I'll concentrate on the first as no manual method will root out all their pesky files.
You're right. The manual method described in this thread is for removal of most apps. As I mentioned to Ifti, it isn't 100% guaranteed to work in every situation.

Last edited:

LightSpeed1

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2009
Washington D.C.
While this thread is a few months old, I'll add this for those who might find it in a search:

5. Click the search criteria drop-down and select "Other...", then "System files"
  6. Click the "don't include" and change to "include"
  7. Sort by name, kind, date, etc. to identify components of the app, such as folders, .plist files, cache files. etc.
  9. Don't empty your Trash until you've determined that everything is working OK, in case you need to restore something you deleted by accident.
attachment.php
Helped tremendously.

BLOND37

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2008

5. Click the search criteria drop-down and select "Other...", then "System files"

this was way too complicated for me and in my case it was one file that would not go away.. the funny thing is i HATE chrome and google so for it to be the stubborn one.

----------

I usually use:

sudo find / -ianme <name> -print

sudo optional

i have no idea how to do this

----------

ok dumb question - so just putting the app in the trash.. no good?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
this was way too complicated for me and in my case it was one file that would not go away..
Which file? In the vast majority of cases, this method will identify all files associated with an app. If you have difficulty deleting one, that's a different issue.
ok dumb question - so just putting the app in the trash.. no good?
Yes, you can just drop the .app file in the trash in most cases. It's not necessary to use this method, unless you want to fully delete all files/folders related to an app. In most cases those files/folders only take up space and won't affect performance. In some cases, there are processes, Menu Bar items, etc. that won't go away unless you use this method to fully delete all the related components of an app.

BLOND37

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2008
Which file? In the vast majority of cases, this method will identify all files associated with an app. If you have difficulty deleting one, that's a different issue.

Yes, you can just drop the .app file in the trash in most cases. It's not necessary to use this method, unless you want to fully delete all files/folders related to an app. In most cases those files/folders only take up space and won't affect performance. In some cases, there are processes, Menu Bar items, etc. that won't go away unless you use this method to fully delete all the related components of an app.

i dont recall now.. i think it was some kind of help file for chrome.. to clearly said chrome.something. and yes it was just that one.

kulimer

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2011

What if the hidden files are not under the same name? Say, you have a file from Skype but it doesn't have the word "Skype" in it..

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
What if the hidden files are not under the same name? Say, you have a file from Skype but it doesn't have the word "Skype" in it..
As step #7 indicates, sorting and searching by date should find all files installed at the same time as the .app file. There are a few instances where files may not share the same created or modified date or file name, but those instances are quite rare. This method works for the vast majority of cases.

gomobile

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2008
i used app delete not sure if this is the best for the job but seems to work for me for quite a while.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
i used app delete not sure if this is the best for the job but seems to work for me for quite a while.
In most cases, app removal software such as AppDelete doesn't do a thorough job of deleting files/folders related to deleted apps. For more information, read this.
This is why I like command line.
Since many computer users aren't comfortable or computer literate enough to use Terminal, I generally don't offer such recommendations. If anyone is familiar with Terminal commands and is comfortable doing so, that's their choice.

malias4

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2011
Greece and Holland
Man GG i had today skype instaled but i couldnt remember my password (i have my new imac 2 weeks so i have to do all my apps-accounts from scratch) so i deleted the app bs i was fed up, anyway thats not the point..
i deleted the app wit appcleaner and i remember it found tottaly 3 items related.
BUT i tried now with ur way and i found 8 more related to skype, wow and i have also other apps installed uninstalled even in theese 2 weeks!!!

Anyway i think its not bad to uninstal even with appcleaner ellse apple would provide a better way but like this its so much more afffctive..
thank you !!!
btw what should i do with appcleanner bnow?uninstal it?:confused:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
i deleted the app wit appcleaner and i remember it found tottaly 3 items related.
BUT i tried now with ur way and i found 8 more related to skype, wow and i have also other apps installed uninstalled even in theese 2 weeks!!!
This is exactly what I mean. Those apps are not effective.
Anyway i think its not bad to uninstal even with appcleaner ellse apple would provide a better way but like this its so much more afffctive..
thank you !!!
btw what should i do with appcleanner bnow?uninstal it?:confused:
I would uninstall AppCleaner.
  • If your goal is to simply remove the app so you can't run it anymore, and you have plenty of disk space, simply drag the .app to the Trash and be done with it. No need for 3rd party software to do that.
  • If you're concerned about disk space and want to make sure all files/folders related to an app are deleted, use the manual method. No need for 3rd party software.

kulimer

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2011
As step #7 indicates, sorting and searching by date should find all files installed at the same time as the .app file. There are a few instances where files may not share the same created or modified date or file name, but those instances are quite rare. This method works for the vast majority of cases.

what if I installed it last year, I don't remember the date I installed. I only have 128GB to spare. :(

Last edited:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
what if I installed it last year, I don't remember the date I installed. I only have 128GB to spare. :(
If you don't know the name of the app, or some components don't have the app's name in the file name, and you don't know when you installed it, you're pretty much out of luck. If you're concerned that you're running out of disk space, know that even if you find left over files from deleted apps, they're not likely to make much difference in disk space saved... maybe a few GB, at most. Your user files are most likely consuming most of your space. Use Disk Inventory X or Grand Perspective to see how space is being used on your drive.

JPGConnolly

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2010
Europe
No cleaners

An old thread I happened across while trying to work out why there's mentions of CleanMyMac all over the place.

Looked for reviews: I suspiciously find they are all rather similar. Particularly the last paragraph.

From here, I gather CleanMyMac seems rushed. The support is too eager to please - drop the smileys for pete's sake.
This seems to conclude "do it yourself" which is what I do anyway, via the command line - I'm no expert guru dude, but surely "Find" isn't so hard, with a little "Grep", and "redirect errors 2 > /dev/null" is precious.

So find big files, for one.

And otherwise, I've always been happy with Onyx, freeware that helps track all finder preferences and clean all caches - Many GB saved every few months, when I remember to run it.

And it's got helpful safeguards all over - hard to mess things up.

Rossco13

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2012
Do I need to uninstall?!

GGJ or anyone else who is equally as clued up,

I have a bunch of apps that I want to delete from my mac, but for most I can't find an uninstaller, will trashing the app and all the files associated to it (like in the method described) suffice? or is this something you are supposed to do after you uninstall an app?

Many thanks

Nov 28, 2010
located

I have a bunch of apps that I want to delete from my mac, but for most I can't find an uninstaller, will trashing the app and all the files associated to it (like in the method described) suffice?

Many thanks

Trashing the application file / folder inside the Applications folder is sufficient enough. But if you want to remove all traces, follow the steps Mister GGJstudios laid out.

or is this something you are supposed to do after you uninstall an app?
The steps laid out by Mister GGJstudios are FOR FULLY DELETING an application while you delete it, but it can be done after you deleted just the app.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008

I have a bunch of apps that I want to delete from my mac, but for most I can't find an uninstaller, will trashing the app and all the files associated to it (like in the method described) suffice? or is this something you are supposed to do after you uninstall an app?
Yes, the method I described will completely remove apps. Even if an app comes with an uninstaller, many times it leaves files behind, such as .plist files. The reasoning is that if you ever decide to reinstall the app, you don't have to re-set your preferences. So even if you used an uninstaller, the manual method I described may still find files and folders left behind. It's simpler to just use the manual method to begin with.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.