Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Not particularly. Like, maybe twice a year.

So if it happened to you once, I wouldn't worry about it. But if it's happening a lot you should try restoring from a backup and, if that doesn't' work, going to an Apple store.

Kyotoma

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2010
Carnegie and Ontario
My AT&T iPhone 4 has only frozen when I have it Jailbroken and I attempt to do too many things at once on it. For instance, from the lock screen, sliding to launch BiteSMS, pressing home to get back to the Springboard, and then swiping down to open the notification center rarely gives me problems but sometimes causes my springboard to crash. Not really a freeze, but an interesting error nonetheless.

My wife's Verizon iPhone 4, however, completely locks up seemingly unprovoked. She won't let me restore as new though. Stubborn. Her co-worker's VZW iPhone 4S does the same thing.

eclipse01

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 16, 2011
Eau Claire, WI
Not particularly. Like, maybe twice a year.

So if it happened to you once, I wouldn't worry about it. But if it's happening a lot you should try restoring from a backup and, if that doesn't' work, going to an Apple store.

yeah, thanks...it did it before and after the 5.01 update we havn't went to 5.1 yet do to it being jailbroken.

once again this happened way before jailbroken (just so nobody jumps on me for that)

SurferMan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
South FL
I've had it happen periodically, even on the 4S, however never when jailbroken.... go figure, only on stock iOS. It's not like everyday, but each of my iPhones has had freezing out of nowhere and have to hard reboot. Usually when using Safari, but other times I'm not sure what caused it... almost like swiping and clicking an app too fast or sometimes after waking up and sliding the locker.

Kyotoma

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2010
Carnegie and Ontario
I've had it happen periodically, even on the 4S, however never when jailbroken.... go figure, only on stock iOS. It's not like everyday, but each of my iPhones has had freezing out of nowhere and have to hard reboot. Usually when using Safari, but other times I'm not sure what caused it... almost like swiping and clicking an app too fast or sometimes after waking up and sliding the locker.

I've had this happen. Also causing springboard crashes, but after it reboots it works just fine.

I sum it up to 'Ghosts in the Machine' - For all of you that saw I,Robot. Not the greatest movie, but I love that quote.

eclipse01

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 16, 2011
Eau Claire, WI
its kinda crazy cause mine never locks up, are your phone GSM or CDMA?

just wondering if maybe that has anything to do with it?3

who knows, now i'm just fishing...

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010
I do not install a lot of 3rd party software but I can not say that my iPhone 4 or 4S has EVER frozen. I do not think I have rebooted my iPhone 4S, ever.:eek:

sweetbrat

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2009
Redford, MI
I've had to reboot a couple times; it occasionally has problems when trying to connect to the Bluetooth system in my car. Not sure if it's the car's fault or the phone's fault since I got them at about the same time.

Lunchbox700

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2008
MN
I don't get lockups but I do get weird crashes on my Verizon phone. When someone texts while I am playing a game it will occasionally crash to the lock screen when I try to click on the message. Also sometimes when I am in an app and someone calls after I answer it does't actually hang up the call after it's done and the timer keeps going . Happens on my wifes to only solution is to lock the phone and go back.

RotaryP7

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2011
Miami, FL
My 4S did freeze once. It wasn't jailbroken either. It froze on the lockscreen. Then the other day it was locked in sleep mode? I had to hard reset the phone to get it back working. Odd.

And I've never had any issues w/ the 3GS/4. Only the 4S. :rolleyes:

salacious

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2011
my 4s has frozen by not turning the screen on, like it wont do anything unless i reboot it, this has happend to me about 6 times since it first came out.

not too bothered though, since the last two months its only froze once

my blackberry use to freeze every 3 hours on the dot never knew why

Pomeless

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2010
I can't say that it has ever frozen but there have been times when it gets a bit laggy so I close everything in the multitask bar. Usually a ton of stuff open there since I never pay attention to it. Then if it is still laggy I reboot and that always makes things better. I think I'm gonna get a dog and name it Reboot.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Mine just froze as I was replying to this in tapatalk. That was the first time ever since I got it in December.

I mostly get apps crashing. Tapatalk has been crashing more since its last update. Facebook has always had questionable operation. And on rare occasions the message app will crash repeatedly if I keep doing the same thing (like trying to send a certain pic with a certain message to a certain person). I've had the phone app freeze on the "ending call" screen and I'll have close it in the task bar. If I scroll to fast in my fios dvr manager it will crash the app too.

Not really too impressed to be honest I was sold on the iPhone because the apps are better and "it just works". Not finding that to be the case, grass is always greener I guess.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.