Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
Any chance they'll make a wifi sync iPod Nano? I love the current Nano but I change up my playlists and such all the time and I like to leave my iDevice plugged in on my radio dock. Would love to be able to wirelessly sync my iPod Nano whenever without having to go grab it from my room and plug it into the computer... I know it's lazy, but I get a kick out of doing everything wirelessly. Also I love home share and would love that on my nano as well.

Feels like the future... But now. :p

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Any chance they'll make a wifi sync iPod Nano? I love the current Nano but I change up my playlists and such all the time and I like to leave my iDevice plugged in on my radio dock. Would love to be able to wirelessly sync my iPod Nano whenever without having to go grab it from my room and plug it into the computer... I know it's lazy, but I get a kick out of doing everything wirelessly. Also I love home share and would love that on my nano as well.

Feels like the future... But now. :p

Honestly, I think the applications for having wifi built in to the nano (in it's current form factor) are limited. The nano is meant to be with you at all times. There's very little use in having wifi on the nano, since you'd have to do everything in iTunes anyway. If you're gonna be at your computer, you might as well plug it in.

My personal feeling is that they'd do Bluetooth over wifi, if anything. With Bluetooth, you can sync wirelessly. Plus you can do all the cool BT stuff like headphones and such.

If they do add wifi to the nano, I can see them doing something with a dock. Keep the dock at your night stand and charge and sync at night. It'll upload your Nike+ stuff and download your playcounts to your iTunes ... provided your Mac/PC is on and iTunes is active.

The only way that built-in wifi works is if the tech gets small enough and power-efficient enough to not compromise the battery. That, plus the iTunes model would need to be shifted entirely in the cloud (read - iTunes Match would need a very high consumer uptake).

Anyways, just my opinions on my favorite ipod.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
The only way that built-in wifi works is if the tech gets small enough and power-efficient enough to not compromise the battery. That, plus the iTunes model would need to be shifted entirely in the cloud (read - iTunes Match would need a very high consumer uptake).

Anyways, just my opinions on my favorite ipod.

Or if wifi only turns on when plugged into power (ie dock, charger or some sort of external battery). I'm sure it can be set that way. Same feature would be great on a classic as well. It would just be to sync your data like Nike etc and your music so it doesn't need to be always on.

BT on the other hand would be nice to have an always on feature. 4.0 so it can work with your iPhone or iPad as well.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
16GB iPod Nano with WiFi/iTunes Match capability would be very hot and tempting for around the office/running.

noisycats

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2010
The 'ham. Alabama.
I'm hoping for wireless sync to be added this year. My Nano is docked in my car and falls under my internet umbrella when the car is parked at home. It would be the perfect way to control its content without having to bring it into the house 2-3 times per week.

(yes, I know, FWP)

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
WiFi sync was added to devices that already had WiFi built in for many other purposes. I can't see them adding WiFi to the Nano just for that.

TheSuperSteve

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2011
Puerto Rico
WiFi sync was added to devices that already had WiFi built in for many other purposes. I can't see them adding WiFi to the Nano just for that.

Well, Wifi could work for other things, not just for syncing. They could add a mini app store that allows us to use Pandora, TuneIn Radio, Spotify and other music services on our nanos. I think that would be better than the camera that keeps popping up on the 7th generation nano patents.

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
Well, Wifi could work for other things, not just for syncing. They could add a mini app store that allows us to use Pandora, TuneIn Radio, Spotify and other music services on our nanos.

How would that benefit Apple - increase manufacturing costs while potentially reducing iTunes revenue

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
I think it all depends on how small they can get the wifi components. Perhaps someone has developed a combination BT/wifi chip that's super tiny. I think it's a forgone conclusion that the next nano will have BT, so if the components are small enough, the wifi might just come along for the ride.

I love the idea of wireless syncing, but I don't want it if it means shorter battery life. My idea of a wifi dock would work, but I think MrXiro's idea might work better. If the wifi is built-in, just restrict wifi sync to when you're plugged into the outlet.

My opinion is that the next nano will focus more on the fitness aspects and uses. Right now, the nano is falling behind other fitness devices in terms of functionality. Motorola's MOTOACTIV is a pretty cool and the battery life keeps improving. I'd love for Apple to work with Nike to put out more accessories, such as GPS dongle, cycling power meters, waterproofing for swimming, etc.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
How would that benefit Apple - increase manufacturing costs while potentially reducing iTunes revenue

If it takes advantage of iTunes Match/iCloud and essentially be a mini audio version of an AppleTV it would make more sense than sticking a crummy camera on a stamp sized device...

Think about it... if this new Nano turns any iPod dock into an iTunes Match they will have a perfect solution for people who don't want the larger more expensive iPod Touch or iPhone and can still use their iCloud services which was created to sell you more music and media.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.