Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nigel1210

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 24, 2009
I'm wondering if anybody know where to pick up replacements for the fans that are inside the CPU heatsinks on a 2009 Mac Pro? and any of the other fans.

Thinking of keeping my machine for a while longer and would like some replacements.

Apple don't seem to want to sell the fans unless you book the machine in. I would rather not do this for something I could do easily at home.

I'm from the u.k but don't mind ordering from abroad.

Any suggestions on a supplier?

mrh63061

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2010
intergrated cpu fan

I believe the fan(s) are part of the heatsink, at least according to my service manual apple does not even list a part number for fan enclosed in it, and the explosion views and take apart only show part numbers for the heatsink itself, and all the other fans that are easily replaceable.
whether or not you can easily remove it is a mystery to me, I just had it apart to upgrade my cpu and didn't even think to look and see how it was mounted inside.

nigel1210

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 24, 2009
Thanks for the info, was just wondering for later on down the line if it needs replacing.

jabbawok

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2004
Worcestershire
I've got a 2006 Mac Pro and all the fans are going strong, so don't be expecting to replace them that soon.
You may however want to check the state of the heat sinks at some point. After nearly six years mine looked like this.
IMG_0489.JPG

I found this when upgrading the CPUs form dual cores to Quad cores.

Incidentally, if you have an 8800GT or similar graphics card its important you keep the heat sink clean on it as they've been known to fail when they over heat.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.