Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

9to5Mac claims to have some early details about Apple's next version of iTunes. iTunes 11 has been internally seeded and is said to include under-the-hood changes and early support for iOS 6, which has not yet been announced.

iclouditunes.jpg

The main focus seems to be on iCloud:
iTunes 11 includes an increased presence of iCloud integration. Perhaps the biggest testament to this is a dedicated iCloud settings panel within iTunes. This panel is a centralized, always accessible spot for users to control iCloud related features while in iTunes. These features include iTunes Match, iTunes in the Cloud, iCloud iOS device backups and more.
An increased focus around iCloud makes sense as Apple's Tim Cook has said that he doesn't view iCloud as short term product, but instead a long term strategy for the next 10 years. When asked about it at the Goldman Sachs Technology Conference, he responded:
I view iCloud not as something with a year or two product life -- it's a strategy for the next decade or more. It's truly profound.

Article Link: iTunes 11 to Include Improved iCloud Integration and iOS 6 Support

stevemiller

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
because doing more things is what itunes needs to do. :rolleyes:

edit: i re-read and noticed they primarily listed the music functions of icloud, so i guess those additions do make sense. i still wish they could move some of the more esoteric idevice functionality out of itunes though. like folding ios app management on your computer into the mac appstore software.

Last edited:

shurcooL

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
Seems like a natural evolution direction.

A good question is whether they'll be removing any of the 5+ year old broken legacy stuff from iTunes.

Diode

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2004
Washington DC
Ugh. Still stupid my Mac has to be on to stream movies from iTunes.

Please allow home sharing from NAS's. That would solve a lot of people's problems.

Sam Yikin

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2007
Now that there are two ways to manage iOS devices - iCloud and iTunes- it will be very interesting to see how they evolve together. I'd argue that iCloud is going to take precedence, given that it's a centerpiece of Apple's long term strategy. I wonder if syncing/backing up/etc features will eventually dropped from iTunes, so it will only be used to sync non-iTunes Store media (though I'm sure that there'll always be some way to back up iOS devices to your computer, given iCloud's limited storage space).

Speaking of iOS 6, I really really hope that C3's map software is integrated somehow.

timlopez

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2009
I've got some even MORE inside information. The next major release after v11 will include, wait for it, iOS 7 support. It will also be required for the latest revision iPhone to be released (no, not the next one - the one after).

Please don't say I told you - I need to be anonymous.

Sam Yikin

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2007
Seems like a natural evolution direction.

A good question is whether they'll be removing any of the 5+ year old broken legacy stuff from iTunes.

iTunes does have a lot of bloat, but I do think it's very cool that you can plug in a first gen iPod and it will still work just fine.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
iTunes is one of the worst thing Apple has ever done.

The learning curve is super steep to most of the people, and many of them are scared away from using iPhone (i.e. jumped to the Android camp) solely because of iTunes.

Edit: It's interesting that people downgrade my post just because I said something bad about iTunes. Even myself as an experienced Mac and iPhone user find it difficult, or at least not friendly for users. A lot of the not so tech savvy friend of mine don't sync their iPhone or don't even know what syncing is and what are the benefits. Luckily, after iOS 5, we can actually ditch iTunes and still can use our iOS devices.

Last edited:

L-U-R-C-H

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2007
Des Moines, Iowa
My question is why is it still called iTunes? I'm pretty sure it does much more than just music at this point. It should be called like iHub or something haha

east85

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
All this cloud business may be just enough for me to finally upgrade my iPhone when the 5 comes around. iTunes cloud integration would be a seller for me.

Awfisch

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2011
New feature

One feature that I really want to be integrated into iTunes is the ability to play a song on my mac, pause it, move to my iPad, and resume the song. Available on all iOS devices. That would be so useful!

wikus

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2011
Planet earth.
Where's some real iOS 6 rumors? Been dying for these. They should start cropping up soon if they plan annouce it again at WWDC right?

Where's some real Mac Computer rumors? Been dying for these. :rolleyes:

Seriously, all the news and releases with iOS is overwhelming, its getting tiresome and actual mac computer users have been getting shafted since the iPod took off.

Suspended
Apr 4, 2009
One feature that I really want to be integrated into iTunes is the ability to play a song on my mac, pause it, move to my iPad, and resume the song. Available on all iOS devices. That would be so useful!

That would be an aaaaamaazzing feature! I also want the feature to log into iCloud.com on a browser and play my iTunes Match or iTunes library.

Twinsbb17

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2006
Woodbury, MN
I have two main gripes with iTunes, more specifically iTunes Match.

1. Before Match, I had all of my album artwork correctly tagged. I signed up for Match and now some of the artwork is gone or is mismatched for the same album. It's a real big let down.

2. Some of the songs that I downloaded from the iTunes servers at 256kbps were the edited versions of songs that I originally had in explicit versions. Blink 182 and Eminem were the most prominent examples of it.

iSRS

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2010

The learning curve is super steep to most of the people, and many of them are scared away from using iPhone (i.e. jumped to the Android camp) solely because of iTunes.

Can you connect me to one person that got scared off an iPhone and got and Android phone because iTunes scared them off? That might be one of the most far fetched statements I've heard in a while. Have you used any of the three products you are comparing/contrasting?

MattInOz

macrumors 68030
Jan 19, 2006
Sydney
I've got some even MORE inside information. The next major release after v11 will include, wait for it, iOS 7 support. It will also be required for the latest revision iPhone to be released (no, not the next one - the one after).

Please don't say I told you - I need to be anonymous.

For the love of god Nooooo......
What we want is a rumor that says iTunes is no more.
Replace by a nice new tight Music app and some other standalone media apps.

TheSuperSteve

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2011
Puerto Rico

I don't necessarily have any issues with iTunes. I use it everyday and see no problems with it.

I do however agree that it should be more simple and intuitive. My parent's feel it is too complicated and would rather use their Android devices because adding content to them is as easy as plugging it in to a PC and dragging and dropping. Not so much with iTunes.

wikus

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2011
Planet earth.
My question is why is it still called iTunes? I'm pretty sure it does much more than just music at this point. It should be called like iHub or something haha

I agree 110%.

They should rename iTunes to something else. Ideally, there would be a simplified version of iTunes, for those of us who don't care about iPod, iPad, iPhone support, or movie playback, app store crap, etc.

Theres a lot of people that want a really simple application that is JUST for the organization and playback of their music library without all the bloat that the current iTunes suffers from.

The only real alternative to iTunes is Enqueue (and its still a little buggy);

mzl.hicqqgqe.800x500-75.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.