Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

doubleohseven

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 13, 2008
Sydney, Australia
Not retrieve, but remove.

I have a broken iPhone 3GS that I want to sell for parts. It fell onto a carpet floor and never turned on again. I want to know if there's a way to remove the data from the flash drive before I sell it, as I'm quite sure that the flash drive still has my personal data on it.

Or alternatively, is there a way for me to extract the flash drive from the iPhone and sell it without it?

Thanks!

mo0620

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
Not retrieve, but remove.

I have a broken iPhone 3GS that I want to sell for parts. It fell onto a carpet floor and never turned on again. I want to know if there's a way to remove the data from the flash drive before I sell it, as I'm quite sure that the flash drive still has my personal data on it.

Or alternatively, is there a way for me to extract the flash drive from the iPhone and sell it without it?

Thanks!

does iTunes even detect the iPhone? Because if it does, then maybe your screen connector just got loose, or needs to be replaced.

Benson11

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2012
First of all, Connect the iPhone to your computer to installed iTunes, and run iTunes and after disconnecting it from the computer then give the battery for run out and Press and Hold the home button down for 15 seconds. then again connect it with computer and follow the next steps carefully and then i hope there will be no data on your phone. You may also follow the next step.
Settings > General > Reset> Reset All Settings. And at last hope for the best.

gngan

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2009
MacWorld
First of all, Connect the iPhone to your computer to installed iTunes, and run iTunes and after disconnecting it from the computer then give the battery for run out and Press and Hold the home button down for 15 seconds. then again connect it with computer and follow the next steps carefully and then i hope there will be no data on your phone. You may also follow the next step.
Settings > General > Reset> Reset All Settings. And at last hope for the best.
Are you serious? I guess people are too lazy to read nowadays.

emjaycee18

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2010
You could try to log on to iCloud.com, and do a remote wipe through Find my iPhone. The only problem with this is, the remote wipe will only work when the phone is powered up and detected. You can also set a remote lock as a back up precaution as well.

kdarling

macrumors P6

There is no standalone Flash drive. There is a Flash chip soldered to a board that would be very difficult to remove.

If whoever buys the phone manages to get it running again with the same board, then yes they'd likely have access to your info.

If you're worried about that, I'd say to not sell it, or perhaps take it apart and sell everything except the board with the Flash chip. (See iFixit website to find out which one that is.)

Luck!

fiveainone

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2011
hmm.. this is a good idea. mine is in the same situation, and it's just sitting there collecting dust. I wonder if my local repair shop would take the parts..

iMarvin

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2011
On the internet!
Remove the board and destroy it, sell the parts. Or cut up a iPhone charger cable and hook it up to a car battery, should destroy the chip, but also everything else electronic inside. :p

ross1998

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2013
If you have information on your iPhone you don't want other people to possibly have then just throw it away. A broken iPhone 3GS is worth 30 dollars at most and even less if you remove the chip.

NataliaAftermat

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2013
Problem Solved Atlast...

I have Sucessfully Recovered all of my data from My Broken Screen iPhone 4s using the 2nd software mentioned in this Article
I hope this works for you guys Aswell..! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.