Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Holoshed

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2011
North Carolina
I have found a direct link for all of those who do not wish to call AT&T. In all truth this is a backdoor to their chat technical support. It works because AT&T does not use a in house hosted chat so all it takes is a crafty tweak to the liveperson url (a well known live chat support external hosted service).

You may be waiting for a 20-30 mins but it beats calling right?

The url is: https://sales.liveperson.net/hc/518...=WirelessSupportChat&SESSIONVAR!Section=MyATT

and I wrote about my experience here: http://geekmeans.com/so-you-want-to-unlock-your-att-iphone

psywzrd

macrumors 68030
Feb 6, 2008
I have found a direct link for all of those who do not wish to call AT&T. In all truth this is a backdoor to their chat technical support. It works because AT&T does not use a in house hosted chat so all it takes is a crafty tweak to the liveperson url (a well known live chat support external hosted service).

The url is: https://sales.liveperson.net/hc/518...=WirelessSupportChat&SESSIONVAR!Section=MyATT

and I wrote about my experience here: http://geekmeans.com/so-you-want-to-unlock-your-att-iphone

Too bad this won't work for those of us who bought our iphone 4 through AT&T when it was first released and are therefore still under contract. We still need to wait until June to have our iphone's officially unlocked.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Ok, just restored it and got the following message.
All is good:)

Attachments

• Untitled2.png
    Untitled2.png
    179.1 KB · Views: 306

jekyoo

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2007
Chicago
Ok, just restored it and got the following message.
All is good:)

=( I submitted my unlock request yesterday at 4pm CST and I still haven't gotten anything. Did you receive an email or did you just restore assuming the unlock was done before the email?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
=( I submitted my unlock request yesterday at 4pm CST and I still haven't gotten anything. Did you receive an email or did you just restore assuming the unlock was done before the email?

I received the email from AT&T within 10 minutes after I got off with the AT&T rep. The email below:
Then I tested it out tonight about 5-6 hours after I got the email and it went thru.
Did they tell you to wait or its going to be done after so many days or that they will notify you with an email?

Attachments

• iPhone_unlock_email.pdf
    263.2 KB · Views: 436

jekyoo

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2007
Chicago
I received the email from AT&T within 10 minutes after I got off with the AT&T rep. The email below:
Then I tested it out tonight about 5-6 hours after I got the email and it went thru.
Did they tell you to wait or its going to be done after so many days or that they will notify you with an email?

Nicole Wilcox: For the iPhone Unlocks we are currently submitting a case, It will take me a few minutes to create this for you.
Nicole Wilcox: The most secure way for us to send you an unlock code is via e-mail. May I have your preferred email address please and thank you?
Me: xxxxxxxxxx@gmail.com
Nicole Wilcox: Thank you for waiting.
Nicole Wilcox: The expected resolution date for this unlock case is: Evening April 17th, 2012
Nicole Wilcox: Your Case IDs is: xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Nicole Wilcox: Our case team will contact you via email once we have processed your request with the remainder of the steps to unlock your device.
I want my iPhone unlocked: thank you!

That was my chat with the AT&T rep. Did you do it over the phone or via online chat. Maybe this is the difference?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
Nicole Wilcox: For the iPhone Unlocks we are currently submitting a case, It will take me a few minutes to create this for you.
Nicole Wilcox: The most secure way for us to send you an unlock code is via e-mail. May I have your preferred email address please and thank you?
Me: xxxxxxxxxx@gmail.com
Nicole Wilcox: Thank you for waiting.
Nicole Wilcox: The expected resolution date for this unlock case is: Evening April 17th, 2012
Nicole Wilcox: Your Case IDs is: xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Nicole Wilcox: Our case team will contact you via email once we have processed your request with the remainder of the steps to unlock your device.
I want my iPhone unlocked: thank you!

That was my chat with the AT&T rep. Did you do it over the phone or via online chat. Maybe this is the difference?

Ok, so they told you they will check and you will be contacted around the 17th of April. Till then I dont think you will get it unlocked unless they let you know by email.
Are you an AT&T customer or just contacted them to request an unlock? I know people that are not customers are told to wait a week till they can check and verify that the particular IMEI is not under contract still etc...
I also contacted them via chat too but Im on contract with them for my 4S and just had my spare iphone 4 unlocked.

jekyoo

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2007
Chicago
Ok, so they told you they will check and you will be contacted around the 17th of April. Till then I dont think you will get it unlocked unless they let you know by email.
Are you an AT&T customer or just contacted them to request an unlock? I know people that are not customers are told to wait a week till they can check and verify that the particular IMEI is not under contract still etc...
I also contacted them via chat too but Im on contract with them for my 4S and just had my spare iphone 4 unlocked.

Yes, I am an AT&T customer with them and in the same situation as you. Currently on contract with them with my 4S and I wanted to unlock my 4 just for the hell of it. I talked to them earlier today and the rep I talked to said, "Your eligibility requirements have already been checked so it will be able to be unlocked unless the agent skipped over something but looks like you're good!" Not sure why it's taking so long =\ I asked why but they obviously gave me a cliche answer about how the query is long and Apple has to approve or w/e.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
Yes, I am an AT&T customer with them and in the same situation as you. Currently on contract with them with my 4S and I wanted to unlock my 4 just for the hell of it. I talked to them earlier today and the rep I talked to said, "Your eligibility requirements have already been checked so it will be able to be unlocked unless the agent skipped over something but looks like you're good!" Not sure why it's taking so long =\ I asked why but they obviously gave me a cliche answer about how the query is long and Apple has to approve or w/e.

I see.
The agent I was in touch with did the query and entered the IMEI instantly in the unlock database.
Looks like yours was entered in a list of IMEI's waiting to be verified and entered within days.
Either way I wouldnt worry, you will still get it in shortly.

mo0620

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010

Thanks for the link, I'm actually the primary account holder for my family line and I have an iPhone 4S, and I just got the Lumia 900 yesterday for my early upgrade, and I just told them that I wanted to get my iPhone 4S unlocked, since my contract obligation for the 4S is completed, since I re-upgraded my line and signed a new 2-year for the new device I just got. And the phone was pretty much instantly unlocked. Sweet deal!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-04-10 at 9.05.33 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-04-10 at 9.05.33 PM.png
    149.5 KB · Views: 117

MuGeN PoWeR

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2011
need a little help! i bought an iPhone 4 locked to AT&T from ebay!! my brother is AT&T customer since along time! can he get it unlocked by his account or something like that?

0m3ga

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2012
No issues. Called, gave imei numbers to rep, transferred to the 'unlock' techs and 5 minutes later i am done. Waited 24 hours plugged my phone into itunes, backed up and restored and done. Every sim. Have worked. It is def unlocked. Even sims from England on O2 worked just fine.

denaliOnDubs

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2011
CO
That doesn't make much sense.
You are supposed to keep using you old off contract iPhone to unlock it?
I think they're confused, and many AT&T reps need training on this new process.

I have an old 3G I would like to get unlocked as well. I'm using my 4S now so obviously my 3g is no longer used... Hopefully they get this figured out.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011

Thanks, I've also used this and hopefully soon I'll have my iphone 4 unlocked.

Also I don't know if this is true but I was told that the unlock only specific to that device with the IMEI, if you end up replacing your phone, then you will have to go through the same process again. Not sure if this is true.

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
Thanks, I've also used this and hopefully soon I'll have my iphone 4 unlocked.

Also I don't know if this is true but I was told that the unlock only specific to that device with the IMEI, if you end up replacing your phone, then you will have to go through the same process again. Not sure if this is true.

At least in other countries, the warranty replacement will be unlocked if the original phone was carrier unlocked. I assume the situation will be the same here in the US, but it's too early to tell. I guess I could call Apple and ask..

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008

If you replace an iphone that is unlocked they enter the IMEI in their system and the replacement you get from Apple should carry the same properties wether its locked to a specific carrier or fully unlocked.
Also when you bring it in make sure to mention that this is an unlocked iphone so you get the same in return.
But no, you shouldnt have to contact AT&T and have them unlock each replacement iphone you get with Applecare.

aph3x

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2007
Reno, NV
It would be interesting to know if you can just pay the ETF and get your 4S unlocked. I may be travelling in a few months to the UK to see family and this may just be the easiest thing.

jmcgeejr

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2010
Seattle, WA
It would be interesting to know if you can just pay the ETF and get your 4S unlocked. I may be travelling in a few months to the UK to see family and this may just be the easiest thing.

If you pay the ETF fee, that doesn't leave your account in good standing IIRC.

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania

Depending on what your ETF is, it might be cheaper to sell your existing phone and then buy a new factory unlocked phone from Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.