Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Research firm Gartner today released its preliminary personal computer shipment data for the first quarter of 2012, offering up a picture of market performance during the quarter. While Apple experienced only small year-over-year unit growth of over 3.8% and was beaten among top 5 vendors by HP's 6.6% growth, the company did once again outperform the overall industry and its 3.5% decline.

gartner_1Q12_us1.png

Gartner's Preliminary U.S. PC Vendor Unit Shipment Estimates for 1Q12 (Thousands of Units)
Apple's share of the U.S. market registered at 10.6% and has dipped for two straight quarters, dropping from 12.9% in the third quarter of 2011 and 11.6% in the fourth quarter. The weakness in Apple's Mac sales has primarily been attributed to a lack of hardware updates as the company awaits the launch of Intel's Ivy Bridge chips. Still, Apple's 10.6% share during the quarter topped its 9.8% share from the first quarter of 2011.

gartner_1Q12_us_trend.png

Apple's U.S. Market Share Trend: 1Q06-1Q12 (Gartner)
As usual, Gartner did not cover Apple's worldwide market share for the quarter, as the company does not rank among the top five vendors on a worldwide basis. PC shipments experienced slow 1.9% year-over-year on a worldwide basis, with strong growth from Lenovo and Asus keeping the industry in positive territory.

Article Link: Apple Holds Third-Place Ranking Among U.S. PC Manufacturers in 1Q 2012

Sedulous

macrumors 68030
Dec 10, 2002
Update hardware please! I know many people holding off on buying... these long delays between updates is why nobody buys. Who wants to buy a MacPro that is already two years out of date. If only Apple had either a more regular schedule or at least a less clandestine release schedule, I think this wouldn't be as severe.

2bikes

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2012
I`m guessing the year over year % is negative for Apple and HP. Probably a typo.

Edit: I take it back. I`m confused.:confused:

Mr Fusion

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2007
Someone PLEASE give Gartner a copy of Keynote. I'm tired of seeing the same fugly table.

Also, who are these people who purchase HP? It took just one phone call to their customer service center in India for me to realize just how awful they are. :(

clibinarius

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2010
NY
Imagine owning a HP machine.. ugh

Who likes quality products when I have a team to root for?

I have an iPhone, a Macbook Air, and an iPad. I also had a Palm Pixi, HT Touchpad, and an HP tower. All of which are fine products.

Imagine owning an HP machine...use it and grow up!

a.gomez

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2008
Imagine owning a HP machine.. ugh

If it does what you need it to do, who cares - just a tool. Like someone telling me they can only sketch with a Mahogany pencil.

In the end you judged by what you make, not what you own.

Storosyan

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2010
California
Who likes quality products when I have a team to root for?

I have an iPhone, a Macbook Air, and an iPad. I also had a Palm Pixi, HT Touchpad, and an HP tower. All of which are fine products.

Imagine owning an HP machine...use it and grow up!

HP is the Honda civic while Apple is the Benz. They both get the job done but its much cooler doing it on an Apple. :cool:

BTW Dell > HP IMO

GunZi

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2012
i've got the HP Envy 14.. i'm really considering getting a 15 inch macbook pro? or should i wait for the 15 inch macbook air?

Which mac should i buy?:confused:, i wouldn't buy one until like this fall or something, though.

Btw... a question to the mac users.. i've never used a Mac OS before and it looks hard to learn just by looking at it. Do you guys think it's easy to learn? i know iOS is.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
HP is the Honda civic while Apple is the Benz. They both get the job done but its much cooler doing it on an Apple. :cool:

BTW Dell > HP IMO

Stop with the silly car analogies. They simply do not work. You can find more powerful HP computer (compared to Apple) in every computer category. Who is the Benz now?

Andronicus

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2008

BTW Dell > HP IMO

:rolleyes:
people these days...

----------

i've got the HP Envy 14.. i'm really considering getting a 15 inch macbook pro? or should i wait for the 15 inch macbook air?

Which mac should i buy?:confused:, i wouldn't buy one until like this fall or something, though.

Btw... a question to the mac users.. i've never used a Mac OS before and it looks hard to learn just by looking at it. Do you guys think it's easy to learn? i know iOS is.

There is a learning curve if you are brand new to OSX, but it's not that difficult. I say go MBP before all Apple's laptops turn into Macbook Airs.

Remel

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2003
Western Australia
iPad effect

Looks like the companies that are more reliant on netbooks, like Acer, are the ones that took the biggest dive. The iPad is really hurting them.

liven2

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2002
Bonney Lake, WA
Stock price tumble - Prepare

Based on these number and soon 2nd quarter financials I can bet my house the stock will tumble for a while. May be temporary but Stock will drop. Prepare or take profits now unless your in for the long haul. Will take a few months to recover.

blackmetal

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2011
Left coast

I have a 2011 27'' imac paperwait on my desk (bad GPU, flaky power supply). I would be very careful if I were you. Personnaly I like windows 7 better, I just get things done faster because I do not know the Mac shortcuts.
Also I have issues going on/off VPN with OS/X, whereas it was pretty automatic on Windows. Where the MAC shines (when it works) is recognizing USB devices and the build-in apps (photo and garageband).
Next time, I will buy a $500 Dell and a $2000 Gibson, 20 years later you can still enjoy it. Good luck.

Speedy2

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2008
My HP laptop is brilliant and has outlasted several of my friends Macbooks. They make great machines.

My HP laptop is a piece of junk, and the HP support is ridiculously useless. And mind you, I have a business laptop with business support.

On paper their machines are good, but they fail if you have to rely on them. Dell has a much better support.

Speedy2

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2008
Based on these number and soon 2nd quarter financials I can bet my house the stock will tumble for a while. May be temporary but Stock will drop. Prepare or take profits now unless your in for the long haul. Will take a few months to recover.

The Mac business hasn't been much of a stock price driver for the last ~10 years. They did pretty good, but it's the iProducts that made Apple's market cap explode. And from what we've heard, they are doing extremely well.

Actually the current stock price has the rather slow Mac sales already factored in. This has been known for weeks.

carmenodie

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2008
I have a 2011 27'' imac paperwait on my desk (bad GPU, flaky power supply). I would be very careful if I were you. Personnaly I like windows 7 better, I just get things done faster because I do not know the Mac shortcuts.
Also I have issues going on/off VPN with OS/X, whereas it was pretty automatic on Windows. Where the MAC shines (when it works) is recognizing USB devices and the build-in apps (photo and garageband).
Next time, I will buy a $500 Dell and a $2000 Gibson, 20 years later you can still enjoy it. Good luck.
oh yeah, you bought a nearly $2000.00 computer and it's a paperweight? I guess you didn't consider having such an investment fixed. And you said you get things done faster with the pc because you don't know the mac shortcuts. It's called learning!!!!!!

----------

maybe because Apple is way more expensive? some people just don't have that kind of money.
It's called saving up!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.