Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bobborries

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2006
Los Angeles
For what purpose? So you can play movies twice as fast?

Well maybe, Apple could enable Apps or Games to play on the Apple TV in a future OS update, that would need both processors turned on. The problem I see is maybe it would get too hot or these chips have one side turned off cause it failed.

Frobozz

macrumors demi-god
Jul 24, 2002
South Orange, NJ
The obvious benefit to testing a 32nm process is that they CAN be low-yield. While expensive, it's a lot easier than having a problem ramping up production with low yields for a product as popular as the iPad or iPhone.

With this test run, they can perfect the production process before this 32nm part, or some derivative, is put into the iPhone 5.

bobborries

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2006
Los Angeles
What purpose would there be even if it was possible? the Apple TV doesn't do anything remotely close to needing dual core. What do you want to do, play 4 movies at the same time?

Hey I got a wacky idea, it's called "Picture in Picture". Who would want that?

iMac.gif

tuckerstevenson

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2010
not sure if anyone mentioned it, but this could be either an early version of or the actual chip for any "iTV, iPanel," type device they release in the future. I also agree with the person who mentioned the potential availability of an App or Game store in the future. as far as this chips implementation into other iDevices, only time and iFixit will tell. :)

mirko.meschini

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2011
Italy
I think that the fully functional A5 on 32nm process, is for the next iPhone. They never made two sequential major speed bump on iOS devices, 2G to 3G wasn't, 3GS to 4 wasn't too.

clibinarius

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2010
NY
So if Apple has a 32nm process A5 working perfectly and in full production, why the hell didn't they use that for the iPad 3? Considering that the A5X is the largest, most power-hungry SoC core ever, wouldn't it have benefited tremendously from a smaller fab--there would be less heat and greater battery life.

If the products were designed separately and the iPad 3 wasn't designed with a 32 in mind, then yeah, it makes sense to build the chip at that fab because you might have to redo the product when it was mostly done with testing. This idea only makes sense if you don't plan the iPad out a year in advance...

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
I think that the fully functional A5 on 32nm process, is for the next iPhone. They never made two sequential major speed bump on iOS devices, 2G to 3G wasn't, 3GS to 4 wasn't too.

Yes, they did. Every successive iphone from 3GS to 4GS had a speed bump of some sort. The 3GS was a 600 MHz Cortex A8 on a 65nm process. The A4 was a 1000 MHz (800 MHz) Cortex A8 on a 45nm process. The A5 was a 1000 MHz (800 MHz) dual core Cortex A9 on a 45nm process. The iPhone to iPhone 3G transition was the only time the iPhone didn't get a CPU bump.

And they are using the fully functional version on the iPad 2 now, and will likely use it for the 4S as well.

It actually makes more sense to make a 32nm Cortex A15 chip for the next iphone, as that CPU will be more efficient at a given clock speed, getting the task done faster and being able to idle more.

Diode

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2004
Washington DC
Will a smaller chip give us a smaller picture? I have a 65 inch TV. If this shrinks my picture, I will be quite mad!

No - it will just do the same thing as a larger chip but just use less power.

Less power = less heat = smaller devices / less power consuming devices (longer battery life etc).

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
More notable is that the new iPad 2 (starting at $399) also has this smaller, more energy-efficient A5 chip.

cjkeno

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2011
So is this the reason why my Apple 3 keeps crashing itunes on my computer?
I really hope to use it one day and stop using it as a paper weight.......

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
So if Apple has a 32nm process A5 working perfectly and in full production, why the hell didn't they use that for the iPad 3? Considering that the A5X is the largest, most power-hungry SoC core ever, wouldn't it have benefited tremendously from a smaller fab--there would be less heat and greater battery life.

They prob didnt get high enough yield for the ipad otherwise it would of been perfect

powers74

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2008
At the bend in the river
Process

Isn't A6 going to be 32nm? Maybe they're just using ATV to test the process. Which I know very little about the chipmaking process, so, you know try not to bite my head off... :eek:

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
What about use in iPanel? Everyone is forgetting this favorite rumor!

Is there any major advantages of using a 32nm a5 over a cheaper 40nm one in a tv? After all it is plugged into the mains and there will be a huge amount of real estate behind the panel.

MadCow42

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2008
Is there any major advantages of using a 32nm a5 over a cheaper 40nm one in a tv? After all it is plugged into the mains and there will be a huge amount of real estate behind the panel.

Only if you count cost savings (smaller die footprint/higher yield per wafer), lower power requirement, faster speed... They could just be using ATV as a proving ground for a new 32mm process too.

Smaller isn't always just for mobile.

nsfw

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2009
True, but it's essentially an unimportant distinction to the user. This is a point that Apple usually cares about- hide the innards because they don't matter to the user. In that context, it's a perfectly valid point, and by Apple's own standards. Capacity is all that matters.

By that same flawed logic Macbook Air owners would be upset that their expensive laptops don't have 1TB of storage like other crap laptops that are out there now.

Constable Odo

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2008
This is actually a great idea. Get production started on a new chip that you expect to have some issues; then use the marginal parts (one core working) in a device that only really -needs- one core until you get the bugs ironed out. Once yields are high enough you can (as others have opined) use it in the next iPod Touch or whatever...and why not as an upgrade to this AppleTV? "We've got two cores!"

Smart. Tim Cook is earning his salary. The best supply-chain manager...ever.

Hey! I paid for an AppleTV with two fully-functioning cores. If they're only going to allow me the use of one core, then I want half my money back. I think it's time for a class-action suit accusing Apple of cheating innocent consumers by giving them binned components. So what if AppleTV works perfectly. This is a matter of principle. Everyone better check all their Apple devices to see if all processor cores are enabled at all times. :D

MaxGravy

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2011
Texas!
You're comparing flash and magnetic media. Completely different.

It's an apple product. I don't care about flashing magnets and such. I just want more capacity in the current device. That's all. I don't care they how accomplish it.

Is is too much to ask for the current ipod to have more memory than the top-of-the-line ipod had 7 years ago?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.