Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dr. McKay

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
Belgium, Europe
Has anyone bought COD 2 on the App Store ?
I loved the demo and have never got around to buying the game, but now that it's on the app store, I thought I'd give it a shot.
However, it seems to be quite unstable. Can anyone confirm (or disprove) this rumour ?

The-Pro

macrumors 65816
Dec 2, 2010
Germany
I didn't buy it from the app store but I have the game and it really is quite a poor port. I can play it on max settings, the game is all right but as far as I know it costs 30 and thats not worth it at all considering it is so old.

macgames

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2012
Call of Duty 2 on disk

If you live in the UK, macgames.co.uk offers a physical disk (not download) for £19.95, and this weekend there will be free shipping, so thats a better price than the app store, for a real copy of the game! If you get in touch with the support department, you may even be able to negotiate a better price!

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
Quite a few threads about this....Seems to be a poor port from opinions here...

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1352439/

For those with Rosetta installed (Snow Leopard and under), I have already provided, in other threads, the most effective workaround for laggy performance in CoD 2. Just do a Get Info on the app file and tick the "Open with Rosetta" option.

You will see that GFX performance is greatly improved, the reason being: Aspyr did this port a long time ago and decided not to ensure that the application was compatible with newer GPUs.

The use of Rosetta somehow minimizes that limitation and provides a better experience for users not on Lion.

alexreich

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2011
You can get COD2 for Mac via Amazon direct download for $14.98. After seeing that it was in the Mac App Store it caught my attention, but I would never pay the hefty price tag Apple sticks on all of the better/more fun games.

I'm playing it right now at 720p and everything is flawless, except occasionally if the battles get intense with lots of people firing there is a minor lag, but nothing fatal. I mean, what do you expect from a UB game?

I could probably run it at 1080p, but haven't gotten around to changing the display setting. Will try it now and play a level and then report back. Surely it'll be a breeze for my 2010 mini, given that the game is so old, and I have an SSD and 8GB RAM.

EDIT 1: I should mention that I am playing the game while running the latest version of OS X Lion. It hasn't given me any issues whatsoever, so I conclude that Amazon's download is Lion-friendly. While on topic about Lion-friendly, I have read that Call of Duty and Call of Duty United Defense are not compatible with Lion. I was going to get those games as well last night but read that they were incompatible.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.