Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

boomboom2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 12, 2012
I got a new ipad which is my first Apple device and I'm pleased with it for the most part. I got the 16 GB model because I figured I could stream all my media from the cloud. Right now I have my music in the Google Music Cloud and I was wondering if there was a way to get it to the iCloud to stream? Thanks for your help :eek:

basesloaded190

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
Wisconsin
iTunes match will be your first option. That isn't streaming as it is downloaded to your device once it starts playing. I don't know if there is an app that allows you to use google music with the iPad but you might want to check that out.

The long of the short is that Apple doesn't support streaming with iCloud

Coltaine

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2012
Interestingly enough, streaming from iCloud is only not supported in iOS (iPad, iPhone). When I use iTunes match on my MBA, I can actually stream the songs.
I have no copy of my music files on my MBA, it only shows me what is in the iCloud. Once I click on it, the song starts playing, but no permanent copy of the song appears on my MBA. It stays in the cloud. I have to explicitly download the song for it to appear on my HDD.

I think it's weird they don't allow that on the iPad, since the songs wouldn't start to take up space on the device. It works fine on the MBA.

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
I think it's weird they don't allow that on the iPad, since the songs wouldn't start to take up space on the device. It works fine on the MBA.

Apparently iOS actually deletes older files after they've been downloaded to preserve space. But I do agree that it's weird that iTunes on a PC/Mac streams them while iOS devices download them.

Coltaine

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2012
Apparently iOS actually deletes older files after they've been downloaded to preserve space. But I do agree that it's weird that iTunes on a PC/Mac streams them while iOS devices download them.

True.
But does anyone know the algorithm?
When are the files deleted?

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010

I think Apple probably had to make a choice here--

Knowing the way the media (and Apple users/haters) like to blow things WAY out of proportion, Apple was probably trying to avoid the problem of using up your data plan so that they would not invetably be blamed for it. If I listen to a song 10 times on my computer, I'm probably on my home internet, or on my work computer. No problem. Stream away. If I'm on my iPhone or iPad, I'm probably on a data plan.

If I'm on my iPhone or iPad and listen to a song 10 times, that could take up 100 MB or so of my data plan if I stream it every time. Why not just keep it on there until I delete it?

I did not know that it automatically deletes the older files on its own. That's good to know. Can anyone confirm that's actually true?

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
Good point, Spider. I didn't even think of that. FWIW, I read about iTM deleting songs on Macworld. I probably couldn't even find the link if I tried.

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
It would be a great feature if Apple allowed the user to determine how much of the devices memory is used for downloaded music when using iTunes Match...I have 5GB empty on my iPhone before any songs have actually been downloaded, so it would be great to allow different amounts, 1GB, 2GB etc as maximum music storage, so one could actually keep track of space without thinking about it too much.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.