Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

danahn17

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2009
Err... can;t do this in iOS either, unless you are installing some sort of tweak that I am unaware of. Definitely not native.

really? I swear my3GS was able to do that. weird. my 3GS was stolen too so can't check if I installed something either (my phone was jailbroken so maybe i did install something and just forgot i did haha). oh well; i stand corrected :eek:

Regardless, i still don't think the Android Youtube app is anywhere near as polished and smooth as the iOS one :) I've been having a weird bug where certain videos would just stop playing (always at the same point in time in the video, even if i restarted the phone or cleared my youtube cache). I annoyed me so much that I've just been accessing YouTube via my phone's internet brower instead of the app.

bri1212

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2008
Not the question. If you can't read and understand the question, don't post.

----------

The question is fine because it specifically asks you to choose between 2 clearly defined options. However, because you can't seem to understand that simple concept, you wrote this completely useless post.

Actually I understand the question fine. It is just a ridiculous question ( especially on this forum) that assumes we only have a choice of two types of phones.
As a previous poster posted would you go on the BMW sight and ask "Would you buy a mercedes or a ford"?
And then you wasted your time and possibly inebriation, to post a scathing response about my "useless" post, by posting one of your own.

Last edited:

briand05

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2005
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.4; en-us; DROID BIONIC Build/5.5.1_84_DBN-70) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Android because Windows Phone just isn't there yet, also Windows Phone hardware is very mediocre and outdated. Windows Phone could be a possibility in the future though as it matures.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
If for any reason I could no longer use my 4S or iOS, Id be onto the Nokia Lumia 900, it looks stunning, and I find the WP7 OS beautiful.

lumia900black.jpg

Before, Ive always felt Android looked too cartoony and cobbled together, (Not a fact, just my opinion of Android) when playing with high-end Android phones in stores, even they lagged and juddered simply navigating the homescreens, and this has always kept me away from it, to me it just felt unfinished, however more recent developments for Android have closed the gap in my eyes.

Nexus_2030962c.jpg

Android 4.0 for me feels like Android has finally "matured", and feels complete, unified, sophisticated. And I really like how it looks. I'd still go for WP7 in the end, but Android has made some real leaps and bounds in my eyes with 4.0

pooleman

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
Eastern CT
Android Sucks. Several friends of mine have them and the Android phones seem choppy and awkward. The lay out is difficult to navigate, nothing is clearly marked. I just hate it.

Windows phone is awkward as well. I hate it more than the android. The choice of Android or Windows phone is like choosing between getting punched in the balls or kicked in the face with a steel toed boot. You loose either way.

Viva iPhone!

Buckeyestar

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2011
Title says it all.

I am a huge iPhone fan. Have no plans on switching, but I suppose if I HAD to, I would consider the New Nokia Lumia 900 with Windows OS just to see what Windows can do now on a phone. Second possibilit would be the Newest Samsung Galaxy phone.

How about you guys? If you HAD to choose, which would you pick and why?

WW

That's kind of like asking me if if i would duck if I were up to my neck in a pool of vomit and you threw a bucketful of feces at my face. I'm not gonna like either way.

sentinelsx

macrumors 68010
Feb 28, 2011
Android Sucks. Several friends of mine have them and the Android phones seem choppy and awkward. The lay out is difficult to navigate, nothing is clearly marked. I just hate it.

Windows phone is awkward as well. I hate it more than the android. The choice of Android or Windows phone is like choosing between getting punched in the balls or kicked in the face with a steel toed boot. You loose either way.

Viva iPhone!

It must be a nightmare to wake up every morning and see the entire world doesn't accept your experiences as facts :)

blewvelvet

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2009
This is a pointless topic..it's like asking you want s h i t or urine with your meal.

I mean cmon..the answer is...

neither.

Android doesn't have enough apps...and have trouble downloading and installing them.

Windows....puhleeze!

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
Oh look, 2 more people that can't understand the question and instead post answers that are completely useless to this thread. :rolleyes:

Do you people not understand that your posts show that you can't even follow simple directions like any normal adult is able to?

Perhaps they are confused because this forum is entitled iPhone under the iPhone, iPod and iPad heading, but this thread has nothing to do whatsoever with the iPhone.

While this thread is of interest to MR readers, it does not belong here. It belongs in a separate sub-forum for discussing alternatives to iOS. I hope someday MR provides such a dedicated forum for these types of threads. Perhaps then the posts will be a little less insulting than Callidude's and people can get on with having a useful discussion.

EDIT: Thread has since been moved to a sensible location. Thus I'll also answer the question: I'd go for Windows.

Last edited:

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
I'd go with Windows Phone over Android because it offers pretty much all of the pros of the iPhone, but with a larger selection of devices.

Ideally, all of us should be using Android if it were just about functionality, but the only factor that determines whether you make the jump to Android or not is whether iOS does everything you need it to and for me, it does, so I don't bother going to Android.

I agree. I have no reason to make my mobile experience worse just to get an Android device for functionality I have no interest in.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Definitely Android. I started there now I'm trying an iPhone, and once windows matures a bit I'm going try that. Then finally pick the one that works best for me.

It's tough to ask this question here. A lot of people have already decided they hate android or windows. So even if you gave them the best phone on either os they will hate it. I was the same way toward the iPhone at one point. I have to say I'm certainly not blown away but it's not all bad either. I'm looking forward to trying out a windows phone.

malman89

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Michigan
I'll keep the mini-necro thread alive...

I would most definitely go with Windows Phone. I've had an Android phone since December 2009 and it's time for a change if I could change.

The OS is stunning, the live tiles look helpful and fun, and it just seems so fluid and snappy.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
It's been great reading everyone's opinions and it seems that MS have an untapped market for iOS switchers on these boards.

It is a great OS and deserves a chance to grow.

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
It's been great reading everyone's opinions and it seems that MS have an untapped market for iOS switchers on these boards.

It is a great OS and deserves a chance to grow.

I'd say that's probably because iOS users value more highly a polished, consistent, stable user experience, which Windows Phone gives you, and Android doesn't.

shinobi-81

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2012
Android.

The reasons should be obvious, but here is one of them: with Windows Mobile, you can't even change system language, you are stuck with the language that comes with your device. If you manage to change it anyway, which can only be done by re-installing the OS, you will be violating the EULA.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
I'd say that's probably because iOS users value more highly a polished, consistent, stable user experience, which Windows Phone gives you, and Android doesn't.

Are you referencing system UI, third party applications or both?

Since the launch of ICS (for me) both my Android handset and Tablet have a very consistent feel and behaviour, aided with the soft buttons both the Nexus and Transformer use. Going from Gingerbread to honeycomb on my old Nexus/Xoom combo was a different thing.

What I'm really looking forward to seeing is Windows Phone Apollo and Windows 8 working seamlessly across phone and tablet. I'll most likely give those two a try if my Titan is updated to WP8 (I hope so!) and will get a Windows 8 tablet to use along side it.

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
Are you referencing system UI, third party applications or both?

Since the launch of ICS (for me) both my Android handset and Tablet have a very consistent feel and behaviour, aided with the soft buttons both the Nexus and Transformer use. Going from Gingerbread to honeycomb on my old Nexus/Xoom combo was a different thing.

What I'm really looking forward to seeing is Windows Phone Apollo and Windows 8 working seamlessly across phone and tablet. I'll most likely give those two a try if my Titan is updated to WP8 (I hope so!) and will get a Windows 8 tablet to use along side it.

ICS is definitely better. It's the apps that are often the problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.