Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

officelogo-150x150.jpg

Microsoft today released Service Pack 2 for Office for Mac 2011, the most recent edition of Microsoft's hugely popular productivity suite. Outlook was the priority for the Mac Office team, with a number of enhancements and performance upgrades included for the other applications as well:
As the newest member of the Office for Mac family, Outlook 2011 continues to get the most requests from consumers and businesses alike; therefore, our top priority for this release was Outlook, and this service pack resolves many of the most common requests. The more notable Outlook enhancements include:

- Sync performance with Exchange server,
- Performance improvements while deleting multiple items,
- Displaying email message content, and sending email.

Outlook performance is also improved in IMAP account sync and the database rebuild utility. New capabilities include:
- Scheduling resources in the calendar,
- Distribution list expansion,
- Day number display in the calendar.

Word, Excel, and PowerPoint have improved performance with additional modest improvements. For example, we updated PowerPoint to take advantage of full screen view in Lion, and we improved grammar checkers for Italian and German languages. We also made it easier to work with Office documents on SkyDrive and addressed several smaller issues in response to your feedback.
The complete list of fixes and updates is also available. The Office 14.2.0 update is available via Microsoft's download page or through the updater built into Office.

Article Link: Microsoft Releases Office for Mac 2011 Service Pack 2

jayhawk11

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2007
Yet, somehow, beyond all comprehension, they still don't support Lion's full screen, auto-save and versions.

Mind blowing.

EDIT: Seems I was mistaken. The three core apps got full-screen support. At this rate, we only have to wait 18 more months to get the last two features!

Last edited:

Mr-Stabby

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2004
Yet, somehow, beyond all comprehension, they still don't support Lion's full screen, auto-save and versions.

Mind blowing.

Maybe because they realise that Versions is at best an acquired taste. And lets be honest, Microsoft still haven't managed to get files to save without issue on the decades old 'Save' and 'Save as' system. Would you trust Versions to work with Microsoft software?

That's not just me being anti-Microsoft. It's well known that especially when it comes to networked folders, there are still so many issues with saving MS Office documents on a Mac. Adding versions would just complicate things.

Tiek00n

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2012
I'm still disappointed that there is no way to hide the white space between pages in Word. I really don't need 2" of my screen taken up by showing me that margins exist. Word '03 allowed you to hide the margins by simply double clicking between pages, but '11 doesn't have it. A pity.

Tmelon

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
This is a pleasant surprise. I'm liking the full screen Word. Much more productive than Pages is.

nsfw

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2009
"Word" of warning. My update is now asking me to enter the product key. I have a legit copy but it thinks its already registered, now I have to call Microsoft.
If you have a copy that fell off the back of a truck, be careful.

Jamie0003

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2009
Norfolk, UK
It's about time Microsoft released an update with Lion enabled features. Now we just need Office on iOS and Office on the Mac Appstore.

trunten

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2007
"Word" of warning. My update is now asking me to enter the product key. I have a legit copy but it thinks its already registered, now I have to call Microsoft.
If you have a copy that fell off the back of a truck, be careful.

I had this problem with an update a while back. There's some instructions on MS support pages somewhere about deleting some files and it lets you enter your product key again. I'll see if I can find it for you.

jayhawk11

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2007
Haven't they just said that they now support full screen on PowerPoint?

Lion full screen is in Word. I've just upgraded.

Full Screen works with Word and Excel, too. Not only Powerpoint. Thumb up!

Full Screen works on Word, Excel, Powerpoint. Just tried it out!

It would appear I was mistaken. Word, Powerpoint and Excel all have full screen support. Good.

That being said, at MSFT's current "9 months per feature" rate, we only have another year and a half until they support Auto Save and Versions! :rolleyes:

nsfw

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2009
I had this problem with an update a while back. There's some instructions on MS support pages somewhere about deleting some files and it lets you enter your product key again. I'll see if I can find it for you.

Would love to see that. I'm on the phone with someone I can't understand for 31 minutes and has no idea what he's doing. He started to mention paid support where someone would log onto my machine. I was thinking transfer me to a supervisor or else..

Jamie0003

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2009
Norfolk, UK
Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person who actually likes Office for Mac a lot

Office for Mac is very good in my opinion, it's just Microsoft release updates for it incredibly slowly. I would also like them to add iCloud document support to the apps so it could work like iWork as well as have office on iOS.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Maybe because they realise that Versions is at best an acquired taste. And lets be honest, Microsoft still haven't managed to get files to save without issue on the decades old 'Save' and 'Save as' system. Would you trust Versions to work with Microsoft software?

That's not just me being anti-Microsoft. It's well known that especially when it comes to networked folders, there are still so many issues with saving MS Office documents on a Mac. Adding versions would just complicate things.

I tend to agree with you. I prefer the option to save and save as.

The whole save a version is a pain the hoLe, requiring user to duplicate file to re-edit rather than just the previous and much better way of choosing to 'save as' and rename the file and save as a new file.

Pages irritates me profoundly now with the lack of the save as option.

----------

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person who actually likes Office for Mac a lot

I use it daily :) and really like it. iWork 09 in OSX Lion is not very good at all. Apple need a new iWork ASAP, since lion it's performance leaves a lot o be desired. Prior to that I'd use it more over office, but since Lion, office offers better performance and less issues for me. Neither are perfect however.

trunten

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2007
Would love to see that. I'm on the phone with someone I can't understand for 31 minutes and has no idea what he's doing. He started to mention paid support where someone would log onto my machine. I was thinking transfer me to a supervisor or else..

Pretty sure this was it:

Remove the license file
On the Go menu, click Computer.
Double-click your hard disk icon. The default name will be Macintosh HD.
Open Library, and then open Preferences.
Drag com.microsoft.office.licensing.plist to the Trash.
Restart

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.