Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tucom

Cancelled
Jul 29, 2006
Duke Nukem Forever and now Rage. :(

Rage was fun but it had its issues (at least not to the same extent as DNF). Here's to hoping the Mac App Store continues to generate new ports. Borderlands 2 and Grand Theft Auto 5 surely must come. Before you know it, we'll have a Game Center for Lion.

OS X Mountain Lion supposedly WILL indeed have a Game Center.

turbobass

macrumors 6502
May 25, 2010
Los Angeles
hopefully the Mac version of Rage won't have the texture problems other platforms have had.
Yes I'm sure having failed to get idtech 5 to work correctly on top of the line hardware for the much larger PC market id will now optimize for the much less popular and powerful Mac platform, fixing what they couldn't before on a totally different OS and not just making a cheap port...

Skoopman

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2011
Did anybody buy this game from gamersgate? I can't download the freaking game because the GamersgateDownloader downloads a small "Rage Downloader", which is just a folder and not an application. Their support didn't answer my question yet, so annoying. Next time I'll buy my games directly in the App Store.

Edit: Nevermind, I added ".app" and it works now.

Last edited:

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
Yes I'm sure having failed to get idtech 5 to work correctly on top of the line hardware for the much larger PC market id will now optimize for the much less popular and powerful Mac platform, fixing what they couldn't before on a totally different OS and not just making a cheap port...

I don't know if they fixed the texture issues or not, but it looks like you haven't done your homework about gaming platforms. Valve said that Mac is much more capable platform than PC because of the much higher OS and h/w stability that Mac provides, making effort to create a game on Mac much more easier.

Blizzard is also doing the same for many years now. So, think again. From a developer's point of view, it is much more easier to develop a game for Mac instead of the chaotic PC platform where the majority of h/w is trash quality, there are incompatibilities, lack of stability etc.

The only thing that stop the rest of the game creators is the market share and nothing else.

Skoopman

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2011
I don't know if they fixed the texture issues or not, but it looks like you haven't done your homework about gaming platforms. Valve said that Mac is much more capable platform than PC because of the much higher OS and h/w stability that Mac provides, making effort to create a game on Mac much more easier.

Blizzard is also doing the same for many years now. So, think again. From a developer's point of view, it is much more easier to develop a game for Mac instead of the chaotic PC platform where the majority of h/w is trash quality, there are incompatibilities, lack of stability etc.

The only thing that stop the rest of the game creators is the market share and nothing else.

They did not fix the texture popping, it is annoying as hell. I really regret buying RAGE.

Skoopman

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2011
It wasn't fixed on any other platform why would you buy this port of the game and expect the issue to be gone?

I just set the texture cache to "large" and it's not that bad anymore. Still some textures loading when entering a new area, but it's ok.

turbobass

macrumors 6502
May 25, 2010
Los Angeles
I don't think you even understand what the **** you're quoting... the abstract statement they are making about stability pales in comparison to the economies of scale you get from developing for Win ... so saying "making effort to create a game on Mac much more easier" is like saying "assuming that it was 1 billion times easier to create a game on Mac, because they are more stable it would be 1 billion times easier" and then assuming that you haven't just begged the question. Hard.

Not to mention the fact that your ridiculous statement has NOTHING to do with the porting process or even the issues that plagued RAGE in the first place. Case in point: the hardware limitations on the PC that prevent the RAGE "megatexture" system from working are even WORSE on the Mac because you can't even use the top of the line GPU / etc. on the Mac! So you're literally saying that it's easier to develop for Mac abouta piece of outlier software that can't even perform on far better hardware on a platform that doesn't even support that hardware!

I agree that Apple / Mac is a huge potential for gaming, but you are smoking crack if you think this applies at all to this discussion thread.

----------

I just set the texture cache to "large" and it's not that bad anymore. Still some textures loading when entering a new area, but it's ok.
That's a pretty vague statement without knowing all of your other settings ... suffice it to say I maxed out my texture cache via the ini file or whatever and it still didn't work, I am doubt that you are talking about the same thing.

----------

Blizzard does RTS and MMOs that don't even come CLOSE to pushing the limits of gaming graphics tech. Go back to playing WoW on your MacBook and don't strain yourself.

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
I don't think you even understand what the **** you're quoting... the abstract statement they are making about stability pales in comparison to the economies of scale you get from developing for Win ... so saying "making effort to create a game on Mac much more easier" is like saying "assuming that it was 1 billion times easier to create a game on Mac, because they are more stable it would be 1 billion times easier" and then assuming that you haven't just begged the question. Hard.

Not to mention the fact that your ridiculous statement has NOTHING to do with the porting process or even the issues that plagued RAGE in the first place. Case in point: the hardware limitations on the PC that prevent the RAGE "megatexture" system from working are even WORSE on the Mac because you can't even use the top of the line GPU / etc. on the Mac! So you're literally saying that it's easier to develop for Mac abouta piece of outlier software that can't even perform on far better hardware on a platform that doesn't even support that hardware!

I agree that Apple / Mac is a huge potential for gaming, but you are smoking crack if you think this applies at all to this discussion thread.

----------

That's a pretty vague statement without knowing all of your other settings ... suffice it to say I maxed out my texture cache via the ini file or whatever and it still didn't work, I am doubt that you are talking about the same thing.

----------

Blizzard does RTS and MMOs that don't even come CLOSE to pushing the limits of gaming graphics tech. Go back to playing WoW on your MacBook and don't strain yourself.

Yup, you really haven't done your homework. It's obvious you don't understand a thing about operating systems and what "powerful" or "stable" means, before calling Mac platform "weak". So, in your PC fairy-land, everyone has the most advanced gpu currently exists ? I don't think so, not everyone is dumb enough (hint) to spend money every 2 months in order to upgrade, you know. There are weak PCs (in terms of not the latest and greatest gpu) and is the vast majority. Double that with a hardware and operating system with huge fragmentation (translating for ignorants : unstable), and there it goes your great gaming platform. And yes, it's a nightmare to develop games for PC, in comparison with Mac. Again, not my words.

Now, concerning the WoW's requirements, I'd expect a kid like you obviously are, would be aware that the aforementioned game can be very demanding on ultra settings, especially while raiding. Again, not my words. And, again, I'm not talking specifically about Mac.

The fact that you still buy the lies that every game maker sells you, in order to make you upgrade your PC every time, is not my problem. It's just that you don't get it.

MinuteBracelet

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2011
Now, concerning the WoW's requirements, I'd expect a kid like you obviously are,

I'm sorry but the fact that you are using age as if it is some sort of insult just made you no better than him.

However you do have a point; I have noticed over the years that it seems that Macintosh has far less stability issues most of the time. After 5 years my Acer Aspire was beginning to slow down with registry errors; with my 2007 iMac its been 5 years now and its still going strong. Hell; I'm typing this right now on an iBook G3 and it has no problems whatsoever aside from compatibility issues with newer software.

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
I'm sorry but the fact that you are using age as if it is some sort of insult just made you no better than him.

You are absolutely right. It's just got me frustrated that he told me to "go back to play my WoW on my macbook" when he obviously cannot understand the different between a stable and a fragmented platform, and he's not even willing to learn. But, still, you're right.

turbobass

macrumors 6502
May 25, 2010
Los Angeles
So, in your PC fairy-land, everyone has the most advanced gpu currently exists ? I don't think so, not everyone is dumb enough (hint) to spend money every 2 months in order to upgrade, you know. There are weak PCs (in terms of not the latest and greatest gpu) and is the vast majority. Double that with a hardware and operating system with huge fragmentation (translating for ignorants : unstable), and there it goes your great gaming platform. And yes, it's a nightmare to develop games for PC, in comparison with Mac. Again, not my words.
No, this isn't some abstract discussion we're having here. Read the title of the thread. It's about RAGE. The game RAGE that runs idTech 5, which is supposed to be a "next gen" engine. This is not a context where the "vast majority" factors. this is a conversation about RAGE. I understand what you are saying. They have a name for this type of controlled hardware environment. It's called a "console," and the Xbox and PS3 (but I think Xbox is better example) are what you use when you want the ultimate in that regard.

Now, concerning the WoW's requirements, I'd expect a kid like you obviously are, would be aware that the aforementioned game can be very demanding on ultra settings, especially while raiding. Again, not my words. And, again, I'm not talking specifically about Mac.
We're not talking about poly counts. We're talking about **** that quite literally is just being invented. Again: RAGE. Not WoW. If I'm a "kid" then you're an old fart. I really can't believe another person on this site is telling me how graphically intense WoW can get. Do you even know know what DirectX 11 is? And really, if you've even played on a recently new PC WoW is a cinch. I actually felt bad after going off on my first post as I thought "what if this person actually knows what they're talking about and isn't one of those Mac people who only plays WoW and thinks they know about gaming?" But you're making yourself sound more and more like one, I can't sling any more mud on that!

The fact that you still buy the lies that every game maker sells you, in order to make you upgrade your PC every time, is not my problem. It's just that you don't get it.
I'm "buying lies?" You're literally talking about how great Mac is as a platform for gaming when it's all a bunch of speculation. Granted, I believe the same thing -- that Mac provides a much more console-like hardware platform that would be PERFECT for gaming. Case in point: Gears of War 3. That game looks phenomenal and it's because Epic has had all of this time to get the shaders and everything just right on the 360 hardware, and designed a game against their constraints. This is the perfect example of the argument you are attempting to make.

Now, let me educate you about the game software development process in relationship to the relative market share of the platforms involved and how it relates to my initial comment and how you both A. misunderstood the comment and B. misunderstood how your little factoid from Valve played into it.

Here is your comment, which includes part of mine:
Originally Posted by turbobass

Firstly, my statement that the game didn't play well comes from 1st hand experience with a quite-close-to top of the line PC. Whether you think that's a waste of money or not, your opinion on that is irrelevent. Based on what I saw from using my own close-to-the-top of what you can buy commercially (PC) RAGE requires BEYOND the current gen hardware spec to run well.

So, my statement that it would not port well to Mac was based on the fact that if iD seemed not to be optimize their BEYOND current gen engine to run on TOP OF THE LINE equipment for the PC <I didn't see how Mac would have any chance in heck of doing it>. Again, this is not an argument about "fragmentation." If you are developing a next-gen engine, you make the launch title run on top-of-the-line <PC> hardware because you want to demo the engine and convince other devs to license it from you (Epic!). We're not talking about the Android app. store -- this is a core market with a core audience. <And there aren't even that many options: there are only 2 major GPU manufacturers and a very clear "top" and "close to top" model for each. I am in that tolerance range.> Again, if you weren't obviously out of touch you would make the comparison to CONSOLES WHICH EVERYONE ALREADY HAS AND WHICH PLAY LITERALLY THE SAME GAMES (including RAGE!)!! You could make some good points there, but I'm guessing you won't.

<But you'd still be wrong even if you went in this direction for RAGE>

Now RAGE goes even above and beyond this because it uses a Megatexturing system which is pushing the physical hardware limits of how data is shuttled around your computer or console. Or Mac. Or whatever. <bold>The game <RAGE> has had these problems on consoles too which have a MUCH BIGGER CORE MARKET SHARE then Macs will probably ever have, even in your (and my) wildest dreams that they take off as a core gaming platform. </bold>

So, if iD couldn't get it right on top of the line PC hardware which far outpaces consoles, and they couldn't get it right on consoles whose platform is far more unified than even Macs...WHY WOULD THEY GET IT RIGHT IN THE MAC PORT?

In closing, YOU have not done your homework. You took my comment out of context, you took Valve's comment at face value without any consideration of the game actually being discussed or the existence of the console market (and the fact that RAGE exists on PC and console already). Then you LITERALLY started telling me off about how resource intensive WoW was as a supplement to whatever point you were trying to make (that I've made here better than you did) when I literally pointed it out to you that that was a stereotype of people on these boards that I have encountered again and again. So cancel your plans for the weekend, it's homework time.

Last edited:

turbobass

macrumors 6502
May 25, 2010
Los Angeles
You are absolutely right. It's just got me frustrated that he told me to "go back to play my WoW on my macbook" when he obviously cannot understand the different between a stable and a fragmented platform, and he's not even willing to learn. But, still, you're right.
"Stable and fragmented platform?"

Do you think this is an iOS vs. Android conversation? Are you so lost as to context you think that that's a comparable argument?

Do you know what a "port" is -- basically that it so surpasses the DEFINITION of "fragmentation" that it requires a whole 'nother word to completely jump platforms and bring a PC title to a Mac in the first place (we're talking about RAGE here)? And that even if your education about "fragmentation" was worth it you are so far out of context in this thread as to have proven my point that you are either out of your element or out of touch?

padré

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2006
"Stable and fragmented platform?"

Do you think this is an iOS vs. Android conversation? Are you so lost as to context you think that that's a comparable argument?

Do you know what a "port" is -- basically that it so surpasses the DEFINITION of "fragmentation" that it requires a whole 'nother word to completely jump platforms and bring a PC title to a Mac in the first place (we're talking about RAGE here)? And that even if your education about "fragmentation" was worth it you are so far out of context in this thread as to have proven my point that you are either out of your element or out of touch?

Man I was reading this thread, just because I'm exited about RAGE being available on the mac. I'm not gonna pick sides here, between who's right and who isn't, but please try to be a bit more understanding of each other, at least Antonis is trying to reason with you, and apologized for the "age" comment. Don't be a prick and try to have some tolerance, people have different opinions and you both expressed yours. I don't understand why you have to be so aggressive to make your point. Both of you make some valid points...

(ps: my apologies if my english is unclear, its not my main languege.)

Cheer up people, RAGE is on the mac, be happy about this. Its not perfect but its another step in the right direction.

:eek:

turbobass

macrumors 6502
May 25, 2010
Los Angeles
Man I was reading this thread, just because I'm exited about RAGE being available on the mac. I'm not gonna pick sides here, between who's right and who isn't, but please try to be a bit more understanding of each other, at least Antonis is trying to reason with you, and apologized for the "age" comment. Don't be a prick and try to have some tolerance, people have different opinions and you both expressed yours. I don't understand why you have to be so aggressive to make your point. Both of you make some valid points...
:eek:
This individual accused me of "not doing my homework" when he was completely off base about what he was talking about. Yes he made a valid point, but on a completely different topic AND WAS COMPLETELY WRONG about accusing me of not doing my homework.

If you want to learn more about gaming, I'd suggest do it on another board. ANY other board.

However, I am not going to try and penetrate the "reality distortion field" any longer, I am never going to post in this forum again. If you were upset by my tone then fine -- but I try not to go into other forums and talk like a big shot when I know nothing. I was just trying to get my point across, and I apologize if I ruined your vibe.

Have a great weekend all and goodbye.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.