Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

craznar

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 20, 2009
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
I have been trying to find out how to fill in these new account questions, so I can resume normal use of my iPad.

The problem here is that I have no memorable answers to any of the questions , in addition - Apple requires three distinct answers (rather than one).

So the question is - based upon what the questions are for (which I still don't know) am I better off:

1. Picking three easy to remember and easy to guess answers (e.g. the third word in each question)
OR
2. Picking three large random passwords, which basically will never be remembered and hope I never have my account hacked or need it recovered.

I tried asking Apple for advice on what the questions were for via their phone support, but they dismissed my concern as nonsense. It may well be nonsense, but that doesn't actually solve my problem.

Thanks in advance for any helpful responses.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
I believe that you can pick any word; e.g. "door" or your favorite sports team name, and use that for the answer for all three questions.

It may not be the best in terms of security, but I think you can do it that way.

Disclaimer: I'm not absolutely sure that the iTune security system will accept all questions with the same answer (I haven't been asked to set up the security on iTunes yet), but it has worked for me on other sites.

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010
What ever - can you assist with the actual question?

----------

You cannot ... all three answers must be distinct. I already tried that.

SO you can not think of three questions with three answers?:confused:

Please:eek:

It must be scary to be so unsure about things where this could be a problem

Last edited:

Q Bert

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2011
Chicago Burbs
suggestions:

1. What month were you born?
2. Place of Birth?
3. What's your hair color?

Bonus:
4. Highest level of education?

craznar

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 20, 2009
suggestions:

1. What month were you born?
2. Place of Birth?
3. What's your hair color?

Bonus:
4. Highest level of education?

Suggestions for what ?

I don't get to pick the questions... Apple has done that from a pretty stupid list indeed.

----------

SO you can not think of three questions with three answers?:confused:

Please:eek:

It must be scary to be so unsure about things where this could be a problem

They are NOT my questions, they are a limited set of 3 x 5 questions Apple have provided.

Here is the full list:

Choices Q1:
"What was the first car you owned?"
"What was your first teacher?"
"What was the first album you owned?"
"Where was your first job?"
"In which city were you first kissed?"

Choices Q2:
"Which of the cars you've owned has been your favorite?"
"Who was your favorite teacher"?
"What was the first concert you attended?"
"Where was your favorite job?"
"Who was your best childhood friend?"

Choices Q3:
"Which of the cars you've owned has been your least favorite?"
"Who was your least favorite teacher"?
"Where was least your favorite job?"
"In which city did your mother and father meet?"
"Where were you on January 1, 2000?"

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
all you need to do is pick one keyword if you don't want to remember three different answers. it can be a word which has nothing to do the questions even.

for example, a word like: Lugash

it can't be that hard to pick one word and remember it.

Suggestions for what ?

I don't get to pick the questions... Apple has done that from a pretty stupid list indeed.

----------

They are NOT my questions, they are a limited set of 3 x 5 questions Apple have provided.

Here is the full list:

Choices Q1:
"What was the first car you owned?"
"What was your first teacher?"
"What was the first album you owned?"
"Where was your first job?"
"In which city were you first kissed?"

Choices Q2:
"Which of the cars you've owned has been your favorite?"
"Who was your favorite teacher"?
"What was the first concert you attended?"
"Where was your favorite job?"
"Who was your best childhood friend?"

Choices Q3:
"Which of the cars you've owned has been your least favorite?"
"Who was your least favorite teacher"?
"Where was least your favorite job?"
"In which city did your mother and father meet?"
"Where were you on January 1, 2000?"

craznar

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 20, 2009
it can't be that hard to pick one word and
remember it.

I'd imagine it would be about as easy as reading one original post :)

I'd have to pick three words, and remember which word went with which question - and for something which would be needed in an emergency in how many months or years?

Which brings me back to the question (now that all the "abuse the OP" is done) ... am I better off with something insecure but memorable, or secure and well - forgotten?

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
so you can't use the same word for all the questions? it's easier to remember one word than 3, isn't it?!

I'd imagine it would be about as easy as reading one original post :)

I'd have to pick three words, and remember which word went with which question - and for something which would be needed in an emergency in how many months or years?

Which brings me back to the question (now that all the "abuse the OP" is done) ... am I better off with something insecure but memorable, or secure and well - forgotten?

craznar

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 20, 2009
so you can't use the same word for all the questions? it's easier to remember one word than 3, isn't it?!

No you cannot... I tried that, by picking a common car model in Australia and using it for the first question on all three.

656qw.png

I then tried using my home town for all three location questions.

But no ... I have to remember three random words and the right question to go with each word.

PS: I don't come into forums like Macrumours with the sole purpose of making a fool of myself (there are better places for that) - my question is genuine, and I have tried all sorts of things including ringing Apple for clarification on how the questions would be used (which would help me decide which way to jump).

Last edited:

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
try adding a number after the word, eg. answer1, answer2, answer3

No you cannot... I tried that, by picking a common car model in Australia and using it for the first question on all three.

I then tried using my home town for all three location questions.

But no ... I have to remember three random words and the right question to go with each word.

craznar

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 20, 2009
try adding a number after the word, eg. answer1, answer2, answer3

What I'm trying to find out (and thus why I asked this) - is not how to generate a slack password, but which is better to do slack, or forgettable given what people know about the use of these answers.

However for reference the numbered stuff works, just have to remember which number is which question.

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010
What I'm trying to find out (and thus why I asked this) - is not how to generate a slack password, but which is better to do slack, or forgettable given what people know about the use of these answers.

However for reference the numbered stuff works, just have to remember which number is which question.

How about writing down the questions and the answers that you are supposed to remember and putting it in a safe place. This would solve all of your problems so you can get on with life.

Do we need to suggest where to hide the paper?

craznar

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 20, 2009
How about writing down the questions and the answers that you are supposed to remember and putting it in a safe place. This would solve all of your problems so you can get on with life.

SO you don't think they will ever be used from the iPad under normal operations? e.g. to download an app?

Do we need to suggest where to hide the paper?
No - but I have a good suggestion where you can shove your attitude.

Are all Macrumors posters arrogant, nasty trolls like you - or just the ones that come into this thread ?

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010
SO you don't think they will ever be used from the iPad under normal operations? e.g. to download an app?

No - but I have a good suggestion where you can shove your attitude.

Are all Macrumors posters arrogant, nasty trolls like you - or just the ones that come into this thread ?

Well I was thinking that your were mentally challenged, but can see you just are not too very smart.

I am sorry if I offended you but your questions are so ridiculous that I almost failed to think they were real.

What is even more sad is that I now realize that this problem IS real for you and I actually feel sorry for you. I wish you great luck in your attempt to get through life. Your best bet is to marry "well" as you will need help if you are to be a viable life form. ;)

donnaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2011
Austin TX
This is what I always do for security questions.
1). I never give answers that someone can find if they google me. In other words, I never use my real birth town, etc. I make stuff up.
2). I use an ewallet that resides on my iPad, my phone and on my PC. I keep all my passwords and questions in it. There are some free versions but I always recommend you pay for one. Get one with 256-bit encryption. The only password you HAVE to remember is the password to your ewallet. I've been using one for close to 10 years. This way I can use complicated passwords, especially on my bank, brokerage accounts, etc. without worrying I will forget one.

Capt T

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2010
So...and I am not trying to poke fun here, but you don't have answers to most of those questions? Or at least something you would remember? Because most banking online switched to that same scheme for security a few years back. the questions are set up to have 3 answers unique to you.

If you don't have anything that fits. As someone else suggested, write them down. If you think you will be out, then make a note in the iPad or in your phone. What will most likely happen though is they will ask one of those questions when you first sign on from a device not used before or you mess up your password entry.

Blipp

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2011
I've read every reply in this thread and I don't even know where to begin.

Of course using a unique complex "password" for each answer would be far more secure than just picking random words. Do you really need someone on the internet to tell you a random string of numbers and letters is harder to figure out than a known sequence a la "words"? Having said that if you're worried about forgetting what three random words you chose I don't know how you'd expect to remember 3 complex passwords any better.

You've said time and time again that you can't use the same word for all three answers which would be both the easiest to remember and least secure. I don't know what kind of help you're looking for from us on that, it is what it is. If you can't use the same word pick a three word phrase that you will easily remember like "answer - these - questions" or a line from your favorite movie. Just pick some words and remember them using whatever process you like to use to remember things. Why in the world are you asking us how you should choose your security question answers?

The main thing I don't understand is why you just can't answer the questions Apple has provided with honest responses? That's kind of the entire idea they're going for.

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
OP I would recommend something like 1password and go from there - on the iOS devices and your computer.

But to the questions, I hate the ones that give you pre-made questions. If that is seriously the only ones to choose from I'd be cursing. You only get hit with this if you don't have a CC on file right? I like the ones that let me make up my own - then I pick something my ex or anyone else wouldn't guess.

Basically, most of the questions don't make me feel like my identity is protected at all.

gngan

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2009
MacWorld

Not all MR posters are arrogant or trolls but most of us fail to see that the problem is real for you. I thought it was a joke when i first read your post.

Q Bert

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2011
Chicago Burbs
ULTIMATE SOLUTION FOR YOUR PROBLEM:

Pick ANY 3 question from the list and USE the last word from that question as your answer so that whatever question is thrown at you, you will remember to USE the last word as the answer.

For example:
"What was the first album you owned?" ---- OWNED
"Who was your best childhood friend?" ----- FRIEND
"Which of the cars you've owned has been your least favorite?" ----- FAVORITE

If you think ths won't be helpful, I GIVE UP, WE GIVE UP, and seriously, not to be rude, you need to consult a professional.

GOODLUCK to the next 25 yrs, Mate

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.