Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How often do you take your smart cover off?

• Never

Votes: 27 16.3%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 38 22.9%
  • Rarely

Votes: 37 22.3%
  • Almost all the time

Votes: 41 24.7%
  • All the time

Votes: 23 13.9%

• Total voters

dsquared81

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2010
Orange County
I pretty much take it off when im using the ipad for extending amount of time, browsing the web, reading a book, watching a video, etc. It's almost only on when I'm writing out an email so that it is in the typing position.

ModestMoo

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2011
Cambridge, UK
My girlfriend brought hers today, she always has it in her bag, and never takes it off, and that's what happens:

scaled.php

On both sides...

macemily

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2012
Interesting poll, I always takes it off, and I thought that's what it is designed for, so you can easily put it on and take it off. I'm surprised to see some many people rarely or never take it off. That's probably why some of the back cases that locks the rod of the smart cover is selling well. The creator of smart cover probably never thought of that.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
Many people don't understand that the cleaning properties require removal. The user is to pinch the metal between index and thumb and wipe oil with smart cover rolled up.
I'm not certain this is correct. From Apple's website:
And since the microfiber lining gently buffs off any smudges or fingerprints as you move, iPad always looks good on arrival.​

I'm sure your method works, but I don't think that's what Apple intended, per se. It's supposed to gently clean itself.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
And since the microfiber lining gently buffs off any smudges or fingerprints as you move, iPad always looks good on arrival.​

I'm sure your method works, but I don't think that's what Apple intended, per se. It's supposed to gently clean itself.

that has not been the case for me. the cover actually leaves lines that I can see where the ridges are. Anyone else???

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007

I was introduced to this method by an Apple employee. I hadn't remotely considered it prior to there suggestion.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
that has not been the case for me. the cover actually leaves lines that I can see where the ridges are. Anyone else???
I never said it works. :D At least, it doesn't for me either. Perhaps it's slightly better than if I had no cover at all, but it's a far cry from Apple's claims.

I was introduced to this method by an Apple employee. I hadn't remotely considered it prior to there suggestion.
I think it's a great, very clever idea. But that employee was just passing on their own experience. All I'm saying is that Apple didn't design the smart cover with this technique in mind (or, if they did, they've kept it a secret). :)

Chairman.Jobbie

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2011
Generally at home when im using it for an extended period i probably take it off.

I usually fold it in half around the back so it doest over hang at bottom when in landscape.
The magnets keep it folded.

When im out or using it for short periods around house it stays on & folded.

cole01

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2008
I rarely take it off now that I'm using the Tucano Vedo TPU case as it has magnets that hold the cover neatly out if the way during use. With my previous CoverBuddy, I hated how it flopped around.

andrewfee

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2004
Personally I returned my smart cover because I thought it interfered with the use of the device. The wake/sleep functionality is nice, but the hinge gets in the way when holding the device in the portrait orientation, and it makes the iPad too thick when you fold it back. I found that you had to fold it in half when using it in portrait or else the cover would just flap about. (though that does raise it off a table to protect the back from scratches, which is nice)

It's somewhat useful for propping up the iPad for typing, but not stable at all when you use it to prop the iPad up.

I ended up pulling it off the iPad almost every time I went to use it.

I didn't find them to be particularly high quality either, especially for the price they were asking. The leather marks easily, and I also found that the finish around the hinge started flaking, and it would leave black marks on the side of my iPad and inside of the cover. I had two covers this happened with before deciding to get a refund.

There are two possibilities here:
  1. The Smart Cover is cleaning your screen everywhere that's touching, and obviously the hinges don't make contact with the screen.
  2. The Smart Cover has accumulated lots of oils and/or dirt over time, and deposits them on the glass when you close it.
The latter seems most likely to me, especially if you actually use the surface of the smart cover to clean the iPad screen rather than a microfibre cloth. (I recommend E-Cloth's blue "glass & polishing" cloth for screens)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.