Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

achtungfemme

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 11, 2010
Does anyone know when apple employees are allowed to use their discounts for new products ( such as the new ipad)? Is it a month after release, etc??

I know someone who is buying an ipad for me and he works at apple but does not know when he will be able to use his discount for the new ipad. Does anyone have any experience with this? As far as a time frame goes for discounts on new products?

Thanks!

rw3

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2008
DFW, TX
Currently, Apple Employees do not get any discount on the newest iPad. They do however get a discount on the iPad 2, WiFi or WiFi+3G. The newest iPad will not have an Apple Employee discount on it for at least 3 months. The iPad 2 took 6 months for Apple Employees to get a discount. They do however get a 10% discount on AppleCare+.

UrsaMajor

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2007
They should get them for free. It's their job! Apple can be so cheap.

Last edited:

UrsaMajor

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2007
By this logic, Ford employees should get free cars because they work for the company.

Funny you should say ford. Henry ford paid his employees very well and wanted to build a car the working man could afford to buy. Especially his employees.
People who build iPads could never afford to buy them.

For most people, the iPad is unaffordable in the USA. I bet most could not pay cash for one, most are credit card buys.

How much does an apple store employees make? $40k? That's a lot of money for someone at that income.

----------

Yes I agree. Apple is cheap.

They should also, while they're at it, up their dividend a couple bucks.

Cheapskates

I've held a few hundred apple shares for about a decade now. Im guessing most in this forum do too. I don't mind the dividend.

Funny about the dividend, I bought 180 shares back in summer 2002, it split, and now the dividend per year is like more than half my original investment. Guess that alone could pay for new apple toys without touching my savings. Idk, I'm cheap though lol.

Last edited:

achtungfemme

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 11, 2010
Currently, Apple Employees do not get any discount on the newest iPad. They do however get a discount on the iPad 2, WiFi or WiFi+3G. The newest iPad will not have an Apple Employee discount on it for at least 3 months. The iPad 2 took 6 months for Apple Employees to get a discount. They do however get a 10% discount on AppleCare+.

Dang. I don't know if I can wait that long :)

Does anyone know where you can "play" with an ipad 2? It seems like all the apple stores in NYC have only ipad 3's on display. Shouldn't they have both, since they sell both?

cacophony555

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2010
How much does an apple store employees make? $40k? That's a lot of money for someone at that income.

More likie like $24k/year (before taxes). Regular Apple Store employees make about $12/hour, and the $24k/year assumes 40 hour weeks, and 50 working weeks per year. The people at the Genius Bar make about $18/hour (or about $36k/year before taxes).

I got the salaries at glassdoor.com:
http://www.glassdoor.com/Salary/Apple-Salaries-E1138.htm

dfwtbear

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2012

How do you know? I am looking to get one thru my roommate who works for the Apple Store and he said 4 weeks, but is not sure as 4 weeks would be this weekend.

iHeartsteve

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2012

I agree. at 50% discount off products to employees, they're still making money. I can't believe its only %15 off. that sucks. Maybe apple wants to make sure the employees who work there just dont quite after a month to get a product.

Large Retail stores give 50% off like 4 times a year, maybe apple should do the same. After working 3 months would be fair. 30% off year round on no more than 3 of the same product in 1 yr. Buying 6 ipads is a little suspicious. lol

A happy worker is a good worker. Its annoying when I talk to apple reps and more than half don't own an ipad. They need to relate to the product, what do they know when they dont even own one! How can an apple genius be an expert on knowledge of the ipad and assess my ipad when they dont even use one???

How about 1 new ipad at launch date at 50% off, the key word is ONE. Then apple doesnt have to worry about them selling them to their friends etc.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007

That's rather crappy of Apple to play games like this... Why wouldn't you want them to own the latest? Would make them better sales/marketing/customer support employees.

I'm not interested for a measely 15%

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
I am one...

Apple retail and Apple corporate employee discounts are quite different. Currently corporate employees can get a discount on the new iPad or any other iDevice or computing product, not to mention yearly sales with deep discounts on refurbs and overstock items. Retail employees wait longer for discounts and usually don't get the same percentage/opportunities as corporate employees.

Dangerous Theory

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2011
UK
That's rather crappy of Apple to play games like this... Why wouldn't you want them to own the latest? Would make them better sales/marketing/customer support employees.

So you'd rather get 0% than 15% discount because of some principal?

drenline

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2010

Totally agree. They have 100 billon dollars of cash laying around and they can't even give their employees free iPads on launch day.

What a bunch of cheapskates.

Redjericho

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2011
Totally agree. They have 100 billon dollars of cash laying around and they can't even give their employees free iPads on launch day.

What a bunch of cheapskates.

Ha, I hope you're joking. Glad apple isn't run by you, they'd be bankrupt in a month.

fullmanfullninj

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2009
Or they would have a heart and not mistreat there workers oversees.
Not their workers...it's Foxconn. Apple can ask Foxconn to treat their employees better, but they don't have to listen. Foxconn is its own company, Apple, among many other companies, merely has Foxconn build their hardware. Invalid point.

We're talking about retail employees here, since not too many of us have friends working in Cupertino. No offense, but they're just retail employees (I used to work retail too, so I understand). They are not the programmers or accountants who sit behind desks and actually manage the company. They sell the product...wouldn't you think the engineer behind the iSight camera deserves a free iPad first? This point is based on very little actual thinking. What large company have you seen recently hand out a $499 device to its employees? To work for Apple corporate is a privilege for the employee, not the other way around. You apply for that engineer position; Apple does not find you. If you do a stellar job, it'd be a nice reward, but Apple owes retail employees (technically) nothing. These people willingly apply and work for Apple retail. And besides, what if an employee did not want an iPad? Moreover, do really think a company would just hand out $499 tablets to its own employees on launch day and make $0 profit as opposed to selling it to a customer? This is a corporation, not Ma & Pa's Tech Shack.

So going off that logic, shouldn't a BMW salesman have one of every model? It'll make them better sales/marketing/customer support employees too. Hell, let's give all employees in the Best Buy TV department a free plasma, LCD backlit, and LED backlit TV too, so that they may make accurate comparisons on their own at home. Retail employees are expected to learn these things on their own, whether during down time or at home. I do not know specifically about Apple retail employees, but at Best Buy Mobile, I did not get an Android phone or iPhone to take home and use so I could be a better sales/marketing/customer support employee. I had to learn it on my own, on the fly. That's what retail employees do.

I agree. at 50% discount off products to employees, they're still making money. I can't believe its only %15 off. that sucks. Maybe apple wants to make sure the employees who work there just dont quite after a month to get a product.

Large Retail stores give 50% off like 4 times a year, maybe apple should do the same. After working 3 months would be fair. 30% off year round on no more than 3 of the same product in 1 yr. Buying 6 ipads is a little suspicious. lol

A happy worker is a good worker. Its annoying when I talk to apple reps and more than half don't own an ipad. They need to relate to the product, what do they know when they dont even own one! How can an apple genius be an expert on knowledge of the ipad and assess my ipad when they dont even use one???

How about 1 new ipad at launch date at 50% off, the key word is ONE. Then apple doesnt have to worry about them selling them to their friends etc.

At 50% off? No, Apple is not making money. They would be losing money (see: http://www.mobileusers.com/2012/03/17/it-costs-about-316-to-manufacture-an-entry-level-ipad-3/). Click it or not, it costs at least $316 to make the base 16GB wifi model. That's at least a $67 loss per iPad. And please don't bring up Apple has so and so much cash. As a corporation, Apple's goal is to make money and keep stockholders happy. One $67 loss is not too bad...but for every employee? Sure, it's a small amount compared to the billions in cash they have, but still unacceptable.

And to respond to your 50% off or 30% off whatever...Apple retail employees should be glad they are getting any discount at all. Apple does not need to give these employees discounts or whatever...people flock to Apple and want to work at Apple retail. The discount is just a nice bonus and a gesture of good will.

And need to relate to the product? Please. I don't own an Android phone but I could help you with almost any Android problem that pops up. You don't need to own a product to be able to sell/troubleshoot it. What is this "they need to FEEL the product" crap? I could tell you a sh-tton about your iPad 2 and 1, and I didn't even own an iPad till this generation. Competent employees don't need to OWN the device to tell you what to do, how to use it, or to troubleshoot.

Anyway, morally yes, it seems like iPads should be offered launch day to employees. But from a company's view, it makes no sense. Customers will pay full price, employees would get it for free, 50% off, 30% off, whatever you users have suggested. And how would you feel if the person in front of you bought the last iPad in the store on launch day and you found out that twenty employees bought their iPads before the general public was allowed to? After waiting for let's say 3 hours in line to walk away empty handed, you wouldn't be too pleased. This hypothetical scenario applies to other (non iPad 3) launches, where the device is in short supply or something.

drenline

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2010
Unfortunately, having a heart can easily kill a business.

Ah, that must explain why they make Steve Wozniak camp out on every iPad/iPhone launch because they are too cheap to give the CO-FOUNDER of the company a free iDevice.

Cheap, I tell ya!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.