Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Altitude

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 2, 2012
Incline Village, NV
Friends, I'm sure this has been covered in the past but a "search forums" didn't turn up any current info so here goes:

I've got an Intel core duo 2.16 Ghz white case iMac (5,1) from about 2007 which I bought in 2008 refurbed from the Mac Store mainly because I love the (nonmetallic) look and the matte screen. The original HDD (250 GB) is about maxed out and tho the unit has been trouble free from day one, I want to replace the drive with something in the 1TB range. The options seem to be Seagate Barracuda, Hitachi Ultrastar or Deskstar, Western Digital Caviar Black or Samsung Spinpoint. All these drives in my research seem to have lovers and haters. Any recommendations from those of you who have actually replaced the OEM drive with one of these?

All Taken

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2009
UK
I've replaced a lot of iMac drives.

The answer above seems to ignore all the options such as Spin Speed, media drives (Optimised noise management so you don't hear the seeking and spin as much.

Their is also the firmware, buying a drive with various firmwares available to flash from the manufacturer (Such as Seagate) will allow you to optimise for speed or sound levels.

Platter based drives have lots of options and to some end users who sit with their iMac just a meter away at eye level on a desk with all the parts whizzing away, it can matter a great deal.

Altitude

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 2, 2012
Incline Village, NV
OK, did a lot of research and...

If the data reported by retailers like NewEgg and Amazon is any indication, customer satisfaction with the various HDD manufacturers is on a steep decline. Maybe they see the writing on the wall that SSD's are the revenue stream of the future? In any case, if what I read is to be believed, we've gone from four major players in this market (HDD's) to two with Seagate buying Samsung's HDD business and Western Digital buying Hitachi's--and both of them supposedly moving production to China. In spite of that country's supposed quantum leaps forward in QC, most of the comments about HDD quality over the past year indicates a huge drop in quality, perhaps regardless of the manufacturer. According to my online research, for HDD purchases in the last six months (as reported by customer satisfaction survey numbers), customers reporting major problems to total failures for their new drives range from 8 to 19% for WD drives, 24-34% for Seagate, 14% for the only Samsung drive I reviewed, and 13-25% for Hitachi drives. Yikes!!! The common thread seems to be either the new drive is DOA, fails in the first few weeks, or is still at six months good to go. How would you like to do all the work to open you Mac (iMac in my case), do the swap with all the back ups and restorations, etc., and then know you've got a 1 in 3 chance (Seagate average per my data) you'll have to do the whole thing all over again in a couple of weeks??

I've pretty much narrowed my choice of a new drive (1 TB) to the Western Digital Caviar Blue (Mod. #WD10EALX) but want to know if any of you have experience with this drive/upgrade?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.