Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jmason

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 31, 2012
I remember playing this game when I was younger, on the original iMac, I probably played it somewhere between 1998 - 2002? It was a shooter game, and the main character was dressed in all black, and looked like their head was fairly triangular. You could jump off things and glide at times, and had a little gun on your right hand. There was a weird little decoy thing you could deploy at times as well.

I can't for the life of me remember the name, but I wouldn't mind checking it out again!

Please let me know.

JonasDK

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2011
Denmark
Old games you remember playing but can't remember the name of.

Another older thread on the internet inspired me to start a similar thread like it on macrumors.

From time to time I think about games I used to play when I was younger - and most of the time I cannot remember the names, which of course frustrates the hell out of me. However, it was threads like these that helped me remember great old games such as "The Neverhood". I thought this might help others that, like me, sometimes have some issues with their memory to rediscover some of their long lost favorite games.

For example - I remember when I was about 7-8 years old - I played a point and click game where you control a wizard, and it has something to do with finding a dragon. I remember the game begins where you sleep in a tower and you have to go and get a broom to wake up a treasure chest with legs.. But I can't for the life of me remember the name of the game. I played it a lot but didn't fully understand English at the time - it would be great to replay the game today and understand everything :)

If anyone knows what I am talking about, plz do tell me!

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
Ah that was a great game indeed. May I ask how/where you found it and do you run it under parallels/vmware ? I'd certainly want to play that.

JonasDK

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2011
Denmark
Ah that was a great game indeed. May I ask how/where you found it and do you run it under parallels/vmware ? I'd certainly want to play that.

No, I run it under OS X natively. I'm out of town during Easter, but I will post how I got it working, when I get back home next week!

Get the director's cut, and also get discworld 2...

I will look into this :)

AppLCII

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2011
I think there should be one thread for all the users who have a game that they can't remember the title. I have one.

It is an old NES (nintendo) game that was a sidescrolling action game. The playable characters were in near future world and skated on either roller blades or skates or something. It had an interesting sound track. That is all.

dapa91

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2012
cant figure out old mac game title

i am trying to figure out what this game is called.... when playing u have an overhead view and starting out u choose your race (i always chose the rangers... dont remember what other races there are) then the game places u on a map where u must take turns with the other players to conquer the map... biggest detail i remember is that when u take over an enemy city u can either keep it, raze it, or plunder it

i know its not much to go on but if anyone can help id appreciate it

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
i am trying to figure out what this game is called.... when playing u have an overhead view and starting out u choose your race (i always chose the rangers... dont remember what other races there are) then the game places u on a map where u must take turns with the other players to conquer the map... biggest detail i remember is that when u take over an enemy city u can either keep it, raze it, or plunder it

i know its not much to go on but if anyone can help id appreciate it

Actually it was one of the best games ever: Warlords II.

http://macintoshgarden.org/games/warlords-2-floppy-version

thehalogod

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2012
Help me remember this old 90's mac puzzle game

There is an old 90's mac puzzle game I used to play where you would have to use various objects to move a ball (or something - can't remember for sure if it was a ball)

So one scenario might be to drop a bowling ball on some scissors and those scissors cut a string which let another ball move somewhere.

Does anyone know what game I'm talking about? I've been thinking about it for days and came to this forum to see if I can get some help.

pspxxx

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2012
Look for an old Mac RPG game

Hi,

I am looking for one RPG game for Mac. It was distributed around 1990. I could not remember the name. All I can tel are the followings

- Graphic is 8 bit
- Memory around 1 MB (not sure)
- Can (randomly) determine initial stat of the character
- About alien try to conquer the world and the main character has to go into 20 level dungeon
- strength can also determine the weight that can carry
- All items in the game can be broken if used for a long time, or used wrongly (i.e., use gun as it is a club or something)
- Can eat enemy's corpse

I appreciate if anyone can tell me what the name of the game is.

thanks

manPrime

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2012
Captain Blood or Alternate Reality: The Dungeon are the only two i know with aliens in but i'm not sure if there the ones your referring to.

pspxxx

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2012
Thank for your reply, but they are not the game I mentioned.

Though 8 bit graphic, it is much worse than that of captain blood or alternate reality. Sort of 64k cartdridge or something.

-I remember that it is a top view from the dungeon.
-Enemies are not only alien creature, but they are also android or robot as well.

I was told(but not sure if it is true) that the game I mentioned won some award around 1990 (maybe before or after 1990) because of its creativity at that time.

I think if you know this game, you may be older than 35.

If anyone can figure this out, please tell.

Thanks.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Thank for your reply, but they are not the game I mentioned.

Though 8 bit graphic, it is much worse than that of captain blood or alternate reality. Sort of 64k cartdridge or something.

I remember that it is a top view from the dungeon.

I was told(but not sure if it is true) that the game I mentioned won some award around 1990 (maybe before or after 1990) because of its creativity at that time.

If anyone can figure this out, please tell.

Thanks.

Do the dungeons appear as line drawings like boxes? I remember a dungeon based game like this from way back...I don't have time to trawl through the whole list, but the site in my link should have the game:

http://sites.google.com/site/oldmacarchive/

If you do find it, let us know...I wouldn't mind playing the game again...Didn't finish it as I was babysitting an old Dec PDP11 at the time, and only played on a Mac they had stashed away in the corner..:)

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
That's sounds like a rouge-like game...
But I don't know which one:
There are a lot of games based on rouge. And for some of them -- I'm thinking of nethack -- there are many ports and versions. Usually the big baddie was a Wizard (as far as I can recall!), though, so maybe the game you are looking for just borrows various Rouge/hack/nethack ideas (many games have over the years... e.g. Diablo was very much like a modernized (for the time) nethack).

Check out these as a starting point...
http://nethack.wikia.com/wiki/Roguelike
http://rogue.rogueforge.net/home/

Do the dungeons appear as line drawings like boxes? I remember a dungeon based game like this from way back...
You are definitely talking about a Rogue-like game, like nethack or Moria. (Moria, I always remember because it had a town with stores as a "level 0" that you started off at.)

Last edited:

pspxxx

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2012
Do the dungeons appear as line drawings like boxes?

Yes yes yes yes. It is exactly like you said.

Could not find any in those link. If only I could know the name of the game...

More info I can think of.

-All levels were randomly constructed, like the map of Diablo.
-No music. Only sound effect
-The game was sci-fi RPG. No magic whatsoever.
-There was an enemy robot named "sentinel".
-The first level was full of bats.
-The game was turn-based, but enemy can hit twice if it is much faster.
-The early levels had a fearsome enemy name "red fang" (or --- fang I could not remember) It had a poisonous attack. The character will die instantly if after defeating it and eat it.
- There were many types of guns, i.e., pistol, big pistol, laser gun, or even a laser rifle.
- The deeper level had a poisonous swamp. Need a "bio suit" to walk without harm.

Thanks a million for anyone's help.

Last edited:

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Yes yes yes yes. It is exactly like you said.

Could not find any in those link. If only I could know the name of the game...

More info I can think of.

-All levels were randomly constructed, like the map of Diablo.
-No music. Only sound effect
-The game was sci-fi RPG. No magic whatsoever.
-There was an enemy robot named "sentinel".
-The first level was full of bats.
-The game was turn-based, but enemy can hit twice if it is much faster.
-The early levels had a fearsome enemy name "red fang" (or --- fang I could not remember) It had a poisonous attack. The character will die instantly if after defeating it and eat it.
- There were many types of guns, i.e., pistol, big pistol, laser gun, or even a laser rifle.
- The deeper level had a poisonous swamp. Need a "bio suit" to walk without harm.

Thanks a million for anyone's help.

I really would like to find it too...A very basic but somehow addictive game...I hope somebody finds it...:)

rbkhockey83

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2011
Help remembering old Macintosh game? (Logo was a yellow diamond with face)

I've been trying to remember this game we played on the old colored iMacs at school. The logo was a yellow diamond and it had a face sort of thing in it I think. It had a variety of math games and I can remember a Kangaroo that you could make say anything.

thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.