Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bobsbarricades

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 4, 2007
Guys this game is one of my favorites. It's a steamplay title now which means you can buy it once and have it on mac or pc (for those that don't know). Not on my mac so don't know if it's in the app store or not but I can't recommend this game enough.

Strange the timing with Baldurs Gate's EE but hot dog....The Witcher on Mac. cool

kk1ro

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2008
I really want to buy this, but I'm not sure if this is a native port or if it's just running on a compatibility layer (Cider).
I have a late-2011 MBP, so I should be able to run the game either way, but I'd really like to know for sure if it's running natively.

Liddle

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2012
Well, 1366x768 and 2x Anisoptry, all other things are set to low :D

It becomes choppy in large areas, but i think it's a problem with my RAM & VRAM (2GB RAM total, 288MB is shared with Intel HD 3000). In interiors however it's like +60fps.

But what i like about the game is, it's doesn't require Steam to play except for the first time run. Afterwards moved it to my Apps folder, i really don't want to run Steam considering my limited performance.

Last edited:

bushidounohana

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2008
St. Louis, MO (USA)
Well, 1366x768 and 2x Anisoptry, all other things are set to low :D

It becomes choppy in large areas, but i think it's a problem with my RAM & VRAM (2GB RAM total, 288MB is shared with Intel HD 3000). In interiors however it's like +60fps.

But what i like about the game is, it's doesn't require Steam to play except for the first time run. Afterwards moved it to my Apps folder, i really don't want to run Steam considering my limited performance.

Thanks! I'll have to give it a whirl and report back on how it runs on a maxed out 2010.

bushidounohana

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2008
St. Louis, MO (USA)
Update: I'm pleasantly surprised by the performance on my 2010 MacBook Air (2.13 GHz, 4GB RAM, nVidia 320M)! The game runs pretty respectfully at native res (1440x900) with Lighting, Textures, and Shadows set to Medium while everything else is set to low. I've only just arrived at Vizima and have just met with the Reverend so it may get more demanding from here on out, but thus far I've noticed very little in the way of stutters or slow down.

Hope that helps somebody out there!

bushidounohana

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2008
St. Louis, MO (USA)

bushidounohana

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2008
St. Louis, MO (USA)
I don't know if upgrading the engine was a "significant" improvement, though it has probably added a few frames per second. I also updated the wrapper with doh123's 2.5.5 beta release, which seemed to help squeeze a few more frames out as well.

All said and done, it's running pretty well for me with the following settings:

Resolution: 1440 x 900

Anisotropic Filtering: 1x
Lighting Quality: Medium
Texture Quality: Medium
Shadow Quality: Medium
Grass Quality: Low
Decals fade: Short
Depth of Field: On
Visibility Range: Near
Small Animals Number: Few

Every now again there might be a hitch in the getty-up, but nothing that's ever hindered my gameplay. Of course, mileage may vary, but I've found grass quality and shadow quality to be items that might be catalysts for performance if you're trying to squeeze out some additional FPS.

wagraham

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2009
Do you guys think it would run on my 9400m? I have 4 gigs of ram and 2.53 Ghz processor? I don't mind running it on the lowest settings. Thanks a bunch!

bushidounohana

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2008
St. Louis, MO (USA)
Do you guys think it would run on my 9400m? I have 4 gigs of ram and 2.53 Ghz processor? I don't mind running it on the lowest settings. Thanks a bunch!

Good question--Tough to say, Steam lists the minimum requirements as follows:

Graphics card nVidia GeForce 320M (or better), AMD Radeon HD 6750M (or better) or Intel HD Graphics 3000

With that said, I don't think Steam would support the game running on the 9400M. The "unofficial" port on The Porting Team's website also seems to allude to even higher requirements, so officially I'd advise against it.

That said, I have a Mac Mini at work equipped with a 9400m and I'd be happy to check it out ... though it'll be a few days before I get a shot at it (if someone doesn't beat me to it!).

wagraham

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2009
Good question--Tough to say, Steam lists the minimum requirements as follows:

Graphics card nVidia GeForce 320M (or better), AMD Radeon HD 6750M (or better) or Intel HD Graphics 3000

With that said, I don't think Steam would support the game running on the 9400M. The "unofficial" port on The Porting Team's website also seems to allude to even higher requirements, so officially I'd advise against it.

That said, I have a Mac Mini at work equipped with a 9400m and I'd be happy to check it out ... though it'll be a few days before I get a shot at it (if someone doesn't beat me to it!).

If you could do that, I'd really appreciate it.

bushidounohana

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2008
St. Louis, MO (USA)
If you could do that, I'd really appreciate it.

Okay--with the upgraded wrapper and engine (2.5.5 and 1.5.0), I was able to eek out somewhat playable performance on my 2.0GHz Mac Mini with a NVIDIA 9400m and 4GB RAM, all settings on low with a resolution of 1920x1080. There were hiccups and stutters that ranged from "mildly annoying" to "I want to turn this off, now!", and I personally wouldn't continue playing the game on said setup.

THAT SAID ...

There are obviously a couple bottlenecks on my system--the processor and the resolution (I didn't have the time to test lower resolutions, just ran it at the default), so with your faster processor and a lower resolution setting you just might be able to have a playable experience (use at your own risk!).

I can't speak to how the default wrapper that Steam gives you will work, though in my experience it seems to perform more slowly. I'd strongly recommend updating if you have the know-how!

Hopefully that helps!

PaulKemp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2009
Norway
I am bumping this since its currently on sale on Steam, Mac and PC for 1.99€. The sale ends in about 7 hours.

PaulKemp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2009
Norway
Yep, just bought it with some spare change...any reports on its stability? I've heard complaints about constant crashes.

I haven't tried it yet, but I was hoping that since it's been out for so long, those problems had been fixed? Somebody who's been playing the game has to report back :)

pgharavi

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2004
I just got a Retina MBP. I own and downloaded The Witcher EE, but all I get is a black screen :(

I can hear the opening cinematic and whatnot, but I can't see anything.

Anyone know why?

I've tried re-botting and installing all updates.

Edit: this is on Mountain Lion.

Calot

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2012
I just got a Retina MBP. I own and downloaded The Witcher EE, but all I get is a black screen :(

I can hear the opening cinematic and whatnot, but I can't see anything.

Anyone know why?

I've tried re-botting and installing all updates.

Edit: this is on Mountain Lion.

Good question. Does it work on ML?

When ARE Steam sales? I missed the last one since I didn't know I was gonna get a better gaming MacBook.

pgharavi

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2004
It works now. I just launched the game a second time. Dunno why that did it, but it works now.

cerote

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2009
Good question. Does it work on ML?

When ARE Steam sales? I missed the last one since I didn't know I was gonna get a better gaming MacBook.

The summer sale is over. It generally is end of June into start of July.

Calot

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2012
It works now. I just launched the game a second time. Dunno why that did it, but it works now.

How well does it run? Could I run it in max settings in an Ultimate MBA 2012? I run starcraft 2 on medium at native resolution at 60 fps.

----------

Typically from Thanksgiving to the end of the year (changes daily). And they often do one in the middle of the summer.

Thanks! Guess I'll keep playing Diablo and look for something kewl on sale... do you know of anything on sale right now that's worth the time?

----------

The summer sale is over. It generally is end of June into start of July.

Thanks!

Any other sales now or soon?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.