Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
Ok Edwin, thank u for your patient and your answer.

I already contacted tattieboggle last week but he doesn't answer to me yet. Is there an email with which I can contact him directly?

----------

Oh, maybe I bought the wrong controller?
Look at this, is the one i bought.
Is this compatible with Mac?

That looks OK to me, the guy who writes the driver does it for free so sometimes he can take a while to respond.

Edwin

Iaan

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2012
Italy, near Venice
That looks OK to me, the guy who writes the driver does it for free so sometimes he can take a while to respond.

Edwin

I'll wait...
I could try a different controller (if anyone have one I can borrow) to understand if there's a problem of compatibility or with the driver.

If I solve something I'll tell you,
A.

derekbaker4life

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2012
ok so i got one of my wired madcatz (but gamestop branded) controller to work, but a regular 360 madcatz controller is not recognized by the driver.
it's weird and quite frustrating because those 2 controllers are basically the same thing and is the same design, it's just that one of them has "gamestop" labeled on it. why is this?

how did you get your gamestop controller to work?
i have one, i don't think its a madcatz, but it is made by gamestop.
when i plug it into my mac mini Os x lion the green light turns on and then of in less than a second and i haven't found any drivers that recognize the controller.

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
how did you get your gamestop controller to work?
i have one, i don't think its a madcatz, but it is made by gamestop.
when i plug it into my mac mini Os x lion the green light turns on and then of in less than a second and i haven't found any drivers that recognize the controller.

You can modify the drivers (360 open source ones) to support your gamepad. It's a tricky business but I am looking to make a script that adds in a whole host of third party pads (using information people have garnered on different forums) to avoid the tricky bit.

I am a little busy but I will see what I can do in the coming week.

Edwin

Cesium133x

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2012
After looking at the sources of the latest (0.11) TattieBogle driver, I managed to make my MadCatz Portable Drum Kit under Lion (10.7.4). It looks complicated because I’m trying to give a lot of details, but it’s not that hard, hopefully.

• Download the TattieBogle driver from their web page (I used version 0.11).
  • Install it normally
  • Optionally plug in the controller and verify that the driver doesn’t see it (but why would you be here otherwise? ;))
  • I didn’t need to restart at this point, but I tried a lot of things, so YMMV
There is a DriverTool command line utility bundled in the Preference Pane that makes it quite easy to add a new device.

• Get the Vendor ID and Product ID from System Information → Hardware → USB → USB Bus → Mad Catz Portable Drum Kit. I have (and all Mad Catz Portable Drum Kit likely have the same):
    Product ID: 0x9871
    Vendor ID: 0x0738 (Mad Catz, Inc.)
  • Convert the numbers from hexadecimal to decimal. They become
    Product ID: 39025
    Vendor ID: 1848
  • In a Terminal window, type the following command to list the devices known to the driver:
    Code:
    /Library/PreferencePanes/Pref360Control.prefPane/Contents/Resources/DriverTool
    You get:
    Code:
    MadCatzProGamepad,1848,18214
    TSZPelican,3695,513
    GuitarHero,5168,18248
    MadCatzGamepad,1848,18198
    DOA4Stick,3853,10
    JoytekXbox360,5678,48879
    BigBenController,5227,1537
    Controller,1118,654
    MadCatzMicroConGamepad,1848,18230
  • Each line has a name, a vendor ID and a product ID. We are going to add ours. The command has to look like this (don’t run that one, it’s not ready yet):

Code:
    /Library/PreferencePanes/Pref360Control.prefPane/Contents/Resources/DriverTool edit name_1 vendorID_1 productID_1 name_2 vendorID_2 productID_2 etc
  • If we only give our new values, we will remove all the already known devices, so we are going to give them all and add ours. Take the list above, replace every comma and line break by a space, then add the name, vendor ID and product ID (both in decimal) for the Mad Catz drums:

Code:
    MadCatzProGamepad 1848 18214 TSZPelican 3695 513 GuitarHero 5168 18248 MadCatzGamepad 1848 18198 DOA4Stick 3853 10 JoytekXbox360 5678 48879 BigBenController 5227 1537 Controller 1118 654 MadCatzMicroConGamepad 1848 18230 MadCatzPortableDrumKit 1848 39025
  • Now run the DriverTool edit command (as root) with these parameters:
    Code:
    sudo /Library/PreferencePanes/Pref360Control.prefPane/Contents/Resources/DriverTool edit MadCatzProGamepad 1848 18214 TSZPelican 3695 513 GuitarHero 5168 18248 MadCatzGamepad 1848 18198 DOA4Stick 3853 10 JoytekXbox360 5678 48879 BigBenController 5227 1537 Controller 1118 654 MadCatzMicroConGamepad 1848 18230 MadCatzPortableDrumKit 1848 39025
    it also works on several lines if you join them with backslashes:
    Code:
    sudo /Library/PreferencePanes/Pref360Control.prefPane/Contents/Resources/DriverTool \
    edit \
    MadCatzProGamepad 1848 18214 \
    TSZPelican 3695 513 \
    GuitarHero 5168 18248 \
    MadCatzGamepad 1848 18198 \
    DOA4Stick 3853 10 \
    JoytekXbox360 5678 48879 \
    BigBenController 5227 1537 \
    Controller 1118 654 \
    MadCatzMicroConGamepad 1848 18230 \
    MadCatzPortableDrumKit 1848 39025
  • Relaunch the Preference Pane and click the + button. MadCatzPortableDrumKit should appear in the list and be checked.
  • Plug in your controller and see it appear and work, as Controller 1 (Wired)

sword1234

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2012
Please tell me the first link is not a requirment to do play with the controller because it says the link could not be found.

jmseight

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2012
MadCatz GamePad

Hi Cesium133x,

Great instructions!

I bought the MadCatz XBOX 360 Gamepad at TouyRUs for $16 and it got it to work.

Vendor ID = 7085
Product ID = 61642

Best Regards,
James

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
Hi Everyone,

My day job is working for Feral Interactive (the Mac games developer/publisher). I have spent a lot of time making our pad support to be super flexible and part of that is supporting the 360 and PS3 gamepads. Anyway enough about me :) I have taken all the info on this site and on a few others and made a small easy to use script that adds about 60 pads to the list of pads supported by the 360 drivers. What's more is this script works with the latest 360 drivers 0.11 instead of the older 0.08 drivers that most hacks up to now have had to use. Big hat-tip to Cesium133x for his simple guide further up the thread. His post saved me time and allowed me to spend the time in other areas like making this script and getting a big list of pads (60+) together instead.

Simply make sure you have a working installation of 0.11 on your Mac.
Download this file : http://downloads.feralinteractive.com/temp/Xbox360DriverExtraPadSupport.command.zip
Open the .command file (you might need to right click open to avoid annoying GateKeeper stuff) and enter your admin password when prompted.

The script is readable in a text editor if you like and if anyone has a problem or has a new 360 device they would like added please read the instructions inside the a script (also displayed in the terminal when you run the script).

This is not a "supported by Feral" project at the moment but I am allowed to devote some engineering time to it during work hours to insure support inside our games which has a knock on effect to all pad users. :)

Have fun and please let me know how everyone gets on, adding new pads is simple so if you tell me missing pad info I hope to keep adding to this list so it becomes the master repository of all the pads requested in this thread and others.

Edwin

Last edited:

cheard

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2012
Trying to get a PDP Afterglow to work

Hi everyone,

I had no need for a game controller for my Mac until I bought Batman: Arkham Asylum, and found it to be very difficult to play with a keyboard. So I bought a used PDP Afterglow from Game Stop, downloaded the tattiebogle driver, and got the same problem derekbaker4life (above) did. So I ran edddeduck’s commands, which added the PDP Afterglow. But I’m still not getting the expected results. With the PDP Afterglow checked in the “Add”*list of the tattiebogle driver, the tattiebogle preference pane still says “No devices found.”*The red lights inside the Afterglow are lit; the green ring around the X in the middle flashes green continually. B:AA doesn’t seem to recognize the driver.

I’m only a short way into the game, but I’m having a really hard time managing with the keyboard. Any suggestions on how to get the controller working? (Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion, by the way.)

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
Hi everyone,

I had no need for a game controller for my Mac until I bought Batman: Arkham Asylum, and found it to be very difficult to play with a keyboard. So I bought a used PDP Afterglow from Game Stop, downloaded the tattiebogle driver, and got the same problem derekbaker4life (above) did. So I ran edddeduck’s commands, which added the PDP Afterglow. But I’m still not getting the expected results. With the PDP Afterglow checked in the “Add”*list of the tattiebogle driver, the tattiebogle preference pane still says “No devices found.”*The red lights inside the Afterglow are lit; the green ring around the X in the middle flashes green continually. B:AA doesn’t seem to recognize the driver.

My final step was if it does not work email the pad support address so you missed the last step for starters :)

Looks like the driver is not picking up the pad (which means the game has no chance as the OS cannot see the pad).

Have you:

Installed the latest 0.11 Drivers?
Quit and restarted System Preferences after running my script?
Run the script a second time (sometime OS X sucks a little at noticing an update).
Rebooted your Mac
Emailed me via the pad support email that the script displays along with your pads vendor ID and device ID so we can check you don't have a new version of a pad?

Edwin

Chilaha

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2011
Hey, does this work with a macbook? And, if so.. im really not tech savy so can someone give me real easy instructions to follow.

blesscheese

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Central CA
Don't mean to hijack thread

Has anybody tried the Wii U Pro Controller yet? Since it is just a knock-off of the XBox 360 controller, using bluetooth (I assume)...

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
Has anybody tried the Wii U Pro Controller yet? Since it is just a knock-off of the XBox 360 controller, using bluetooth (I assume)...

The WiiU is not an Xbox controller in any way, the knock off comment is a little harsh IMHO but to answer your question, no the 360 drivers won't work with Nintendo hardware.

These drivers are specific to X-Input devices which is a Microsoft technology. Nintendo devices usually (like the wii) use more open standards like HID and Bluetooth so likely you will need to work out how to pair the device over bluetooth with your Mac. The WiiMote drivers will likely have better luck after some minor mods.

Edwin

blesscheese

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Central CA
The WiiU is not an Xbox controller in any way, the knock off comment is a little harsh IMHO

Oooops, didn't mean to be harsh...what I meant was, the physical layout of the controller...

These drivers are specific to X-Input devices which is a Microsoft technology. Nintendo devices usually (like the wii) use more open standards like HID and Bluetooth so likely you will need to work out how to pair the device over bluetooth with your Mac. The WiiMote drivers will likely have better luck after some minor mods.

Thanks! That is good to know! I already have my old Wiimote and Nunchuks paired with my MBA via Wiiji (runs great in Snow Leopard), and it even works with my classic controller.

If Nintendo is more into open standards, then it may be worth a shot with that, or some of the other software out there...

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
Oooops, didn't mean to be harsh...what I meant was, the physical layout of the controller...

Thanks! That is good to know! I already have my old Wiimote and Nunchuks paired with my MBA via Wiiji (runs great in Snow Leopard), and it even works with my classic controller.

If Nintendo is more into open standards, then it may be worth a shot with that, or some of the other software out there...

My guess is within 12 months, thats the usual time frame for someone to get hacked drivers up and running.

jlake

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2012
Download this file : http://downloads.feralinteractive.com/temp/Xbox360DriverExtraPadSupport.command.zip
Open the .command file (you might need to right click open to avoid annoying GateKeeper stuff) and enter your admin password when prompted.

I did the above and my gamepad seems to be working in games, but the center ring on the controller constantly flashes which is really annoying. Any way to get it to turn off?

Is there a trick I'm missing?

Game: Arkham City
Controller: Microsoft Xbox 360 wireless controller for windows

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
I did the above and my gamepad seems to be working in games, but the center ring on the controller constantly flashes which is really annoying. Any way to get it to turn off?

Is there a trick I'm missing?

Game: Arkham City
Controller: Microsoft Xbox 360 wireless controller for windows

There is no flashing pad option to turn on or off the controller lights in the drivers & it has nothing to do with the game you are playing at the time. I don't write the drivers but I am pretty sure it will be something different about your pad compared to the Microsoft 360 Official pad.

Edwin

Felixan

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2012

_________________________________________________________________________________

Hi Edwin and I cant thank you enought for this information.. But when I open .command I cant write my password because its a grey box there? And I use the "terminal" for open it?
Second time I open it with "terminal" its was totally empty?

Please answer och E-mail me at Leeexz_@hotmail.com !

Im from sweden and im not good at english but I hope u understand it anyway..

Bye!

mamph17

macrumors newbie
Dec 25, 2012
Cannot get Mac to recognize controller

Hi, I am having a similar problem to a lot of people on the thread. I have downloaded the Tattiebogle driver several times and restarted my computer, and my Xbox controller remains unnoticed by the driver. I have also tried the suggestion using the terminal, but still nothing is happening. I think it may be my device. I will be honest, I am not that much of a gamer so I don't know all the details of my controller. I got it used at GameStop and it is the Batarang controller. Any reason this one may not be recognized?

Pithism

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2012
Hi hope someone can help.

I install the drivers and the xbox wired controller lights up with the player 1 color icon. Then i go to controllermate and it doesn't list my device.

Has anyone solved this, or does a new driver need to come out?

Also when i unplug the controller from the mac pro it reboots automatically, is this normal or is their something wrong?

Any assistance would be great.

RahfeeZahkee

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2013
Hi Everyone,

My day job is working for Feral Interactive (the Mac games developer/publisher). I have spent a lot of time making our pad support to be super flexible and part of that is supporting the 360 and PS3 gamepads. Anyway enough about me :) I have taken all the info on this site and on a few others and made a small easy to use script that adds about 60 pads to the list of pads supported by the 360 drivers. What's more is this script works with the latest 360 drivers 0.11 instead of the older 0.08 drivers that most hacks up to now have had to use. Big hat-tip to Cesium133x for his simple guide further up the thread. His post saved me time and allowed me to spend the time in other areas like making this script and getting a big list of pads (60+) together instead.

The script is readable in a text editor if you like and if anyone has a problem or has a new 360 device they would like added please read the instructions inside the a script (also displayed in the terminal when you run the script).

This is not a "supported by Feral" project at the moment but I am allowed to devote some engineering time to it during work hours to insure support inside our games which has a knock on effect to all pad users. :)

Have fun and please let me know how everyone gets on, adding new pads is simple so if you tell me missing pad info I hope to keep adding to this list so it becomes the master repository of all the pads requested in this thread and others.

Edwin

http://downloads.feralinteractive.com/temp/Xbox360DriverExtraPadSupport.command.zip

this link is 404'd :( could someone please send me the file or direct to where i can download this?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.