Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
I have set up a nice little HP server at home running Windows and iTunes...enabled home sharing.

I would like to know if I can just watch the media shared on iOS devices without them entering my ID? IE, anyone with an iPhone that gets on my network can watch/listen to music/videos.

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
Interesting. Everything I find on Apple's site talks about using the same Apple ID on each device to access Home Sharing so it appears the official answer is, "no". But there are some very creative people out there and you might get a different response. :)

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
Interesting. Everything I find on Apple's site talks about using the same Apple ID on each device to access Home Sharing so it appears the official answer is, "no". But there are some very creative people out there and you might get a different response. :)

Do you have any links to enable home sharing without using my ID?

SanjeevRana

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2011
If you are looking to share the official way of iTunes on the network, then I am afraid its not at all possible.

If you want to share your other media (non-DRM) on same network, then of course you have many options.

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
If you are looking to share the official way of iTunes on the network, then I am afraid its not at all possible.

If you want to share your other media (non-DRM) on same network, then of course you have many options.

Thanks!

I know I can do it with Windows Home Sharing (or whatever it was called), but all I have is Apple devices now.

Also I can definitely mount the folders via SMB on the OS X machines, but it would be nice to do this on the mobile devices (ie just streaming).

Hate the fact that I can connect to the iTunes library without a password/login from a MacBook Pro but not an iOS device (without homesharing). Hope iOS6 has this feature.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.