Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Enf280

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 14, 2012
I spilled milk on my MacBook pro about an hour ago. It wasn't very much so I wiped it up immediately and didn't think anything of it. Then when I was using it a few keys on the right side of the keyboard (where the milk was spilled) stopped working such as the O and L key and the mouse was acting funny, whenever I would click something it would right click so I turned it off and put it in rice. I'm unsure if this was the right thing to do and if so how long I should keep it in the rice.

Enf280

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 14, 2012
Is it ok that I didn't take the battery out? As far as I know the battery is on the left side and I spill it on the right side so I didn't take it out...

Shaun.P

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2003
Omicron Persei 8
If the battery is easily removable, I would take it out.

If it's a newer MBP (and you would therefore need to take off the bottom aluminium plate), I would just leave it in.

Enf280

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 14, 2012
Yeah it really does suck but I'm hoping since it was working fine except a few minor things it'll be fine when the milk dries up. Thank for the help!

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Don't cry over it.....;)

Milk is definitely not a good thing to spill on a piece of electronics. If your MBP still works once it dries out, count yourself lucky. Also, don't be surprised if it works for a while and then starts acting up. The sugars in the milk could slowly start corroding the innards of your MBP.

Good luck, hopefully everything will be fine for you.

AppChat

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2012
so the other hundreds of threads of spilt liquids due to owners imcompentence were not helpful?

Enf280

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 14, 2012
so the other hundreds of threads of spilt liquids due to owners imcompentence were not helpful?

I posted here to get help not criticism. Due to the fact that my laptop is in rice, I am using my phone to do this which makes it fairly difficult to search through other discussions so I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask myself. People spill stuff all the time, accidents happen, just because people spill stuff does not mean they are incompetent. For example, you spelled incompetence wrong but I know it was a mistake and that you aren't incompetent.

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA

Move along if you don't like the thread.:rolleyes:

I posted here to get help not criticism. Due to the fact that my laptop is in rice, I am using my phone to do this which makes it fairly difficult to search through other discussions so I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask myself. People spill stuff all the time, accidents happen, just because people spill stuff does not mean they are incompetent. For example, you spelled incompetence wrong but I know it was a mistake and that you aren't incompetent.

People like being rude on the internetz because there are no consequences. Ignore him.

Wait....you cooked the rice first, right?;):p

Enf280

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 14, 2012
Move along if you don't like the thread.:rolleyes:

People like being rude on the internetz because there are no consequences. Ignore him.

Wait....you cooked the rice first, right?;):p

Lol definitely not! I did take every bag of rice I could find in the cupboard and put it in a container so hopefully no one in my family plans on eating rice tonight.

Medic278

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2012
New York
I hope the rices helps you out, it works pretty good for phones. Boy lot of people spilling lately, olive oil, milk and now coffee.

Danno21

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2011
That really sucks and I know how it is. My wife spilled half a glass of Diet Pepsi on her 13-inch MBP. We were horrified and we hurried and turned it off, turned it upside so the liquid could come out of the keyboard and left it like that for at least three hours to let it drain.

After that, I took off the bottom panel and checked for any moisture inside. I saw a few drops inside near the SuperDrive. Cleaned that up and then left it open for about two hours. Then I got a blow drier and blew cool air in it for a good hour to try and make sure any moisture I couldn't see was gone.

We were scared, but I turned it on after less than 24 hours of the spill. To our relief, it worked great. The only thing that happened is the left side keys make a little more noise now when typing on them, but nothing is sticky or anything since it was diet soda lol.

Good luck on your milk. That sugar, fat and protein would make me nervous and I'd make sure to check inside the MBP as well can cleanup any moisture you spot.

Dangerous Theory

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2011
UK
Your pro is dead in the water. The milk will kill it off over time

You know this do you? How would you know if the milk got onto the logic board? It may just be sitting on the keyboard mantle.

I don't get how everyone has large enough bags of rice at the ready anyway :p

macmastersam

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2011
Essex, england
why didn't you just start sucking on the keyboard as soon as the milk spilt on it!? :D

these things happen :rolleyes: as long as your mac is still working fine and dandy on the inside there is nothing to wrorry about other than the milk stain on your keyboard :apple:

chilly7

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2012

angre man :mad:

----------

maby it is better to open the keyboard and just wipe all the milk?

p.s. i am not shure however if it will void the warranty so u have yo cheak this up befor doing this...

kevink2

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2008
I spilled milk on my Thinkpad back around 2000. Keyboard didn't come back after drying. I found an out of town authorized service department, and they somehow fixed it under warranty. I haven't spilled milk on my computer since :)

yusukeaoki

macrumors 68030
Mar 22, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
If you are worried about the battery, just pop the cable thats connected.
It comes off real easily.

Not to be hateful or anything, but I hope you learned your lesson not to put any beverage near your MBP. That would suck if it happened again.
I mean there are times when you need to have some drink near you, but keep it at a safe distance or have something that has a lid.

And also dont put any crumbed food near it either.
Had an awful experience with my old PowerBook G4 :(

Hope your rice works out!

KohPhiPhi

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2011
WTF is up with threads from people reporting that they spilled stuff on their Mac?

There's a thread from one guy who spilled water, another one who spilled coke, there's another guy who spilled olive oil, and even another guy who spilled syrup! now milk??!!

What's next? I spilled a guacamole burrito on my MBP?

Seriously guys, stop munching stuff over your Mac!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.