Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
Okay, I've got a bit of a situation. I'm really shy(actually diagnosed with social anxiety disorder), so I've never been to a school dance before.

Today they announce prom court, and by some miracle I made it! I told people that I was going to prom, and I guess I'm a pretty likable person. I don't know if I should be excited or nervous. I'm leaning towards excited now, especially if I can learn to do this dancing thing right.

People told me that I have to dance with the prom queen if I win. What type of dance is this usually? Are there any videos that can help me learn it? If I get to be prom king, I don't want to be embarrassed, so please help!

Prom is Saturday, the day after tomorrow. Court was just announced today. :eek:

Last edited:

soloer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2004
Omaha
If I knew you were old enough, I'd suggest you have a couple drinks then just get out there and do whatever feels natural.

However.. I imagine you're not. So, I'd just plan on the dance with the queen being a slow dance where you can just get away with shuffling your feet and doing a few turns.

As for the rest of the night, just watch some other people. I myself am not a big fan just because I've never done much of it and don't want to look like a yutz out there. However, the few times I do dance, I just coordinate my upper and lower body movements with the beat of the music.

May 8, 2008
IIRC, it is usually a slow dance. I would assume the Box Step or something else as simple would suffice. The gentleman leads after all. ;)

As an aside, you've never taken or heard of Cotillion?

May 8, 2008
I'll go Google box step.

No, I have no clue what cotillion is.

I was just curious. Myself, and a majority of my friends, took it for two years in middle school. That's where I learned how to slow dance, eat formally, make toasts, etc...

May 8, 2008
Is that normal in public high schools? Right now I'm wishing I had it.

If I embarrass myself, I'd have to hide forever! :eek:

No. IIRC, it was usually Saturday nights for an hour or two every other week during the school year. At the time, our parents made us take it. However, it's come in useful in several situations as I've gotten older.

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
Here you go appleguy.

YouTube: video

Thanks! There's a related video by the same guy on slow dancing that was really helpful, too.

Given that I'm not in the "cool" clique, I won't likely know the prom queen. What is the appropriate way to dance with her and not seem creepy? Hands on waste, intertwined with hers, or what?

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Probably one of the cringe-iest things to watch would be a high school prom king and queen doing a dance! Never had anything like that over here. Instead, we had a good old ceilidh which involved everyone.

See if your high school would be willing to trade your usual prom tunes for a big of a highland fling. You'd be guaranteed to pull in a kilt.

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
Thanks! There's a related video by the same guy on slow dancing that was really helpful, too.

Given that I'm not in the "cool" clique, I won't likely know the prom queen. What is the appropriate way to dance with her and not seem creepy? Hands on waste, intertwined with hers, or what?

Learn how to grind a slow dance. If she didn't like you before, she may afterwards. ;)

Of course, she could also scream for you to get away from her.:) But hey, you're young, so go for it. What can they do to you?

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
Any last minute tips? :eek: Lots of people told me that they would vote for me. It's really odd, I think I might win! I'd be the nerdiest prom king ever. Time to call Guinness methinks.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
My daughter has a similar diagnosis. My advice would be practise with a relative or friend first in private. If you don't know the girl, she will probably be quite nervous too. Keep your hands in the right places (waist not backside) and a bit of a gap between you. When other people dance see what they are doing and copy them. Keep the conversation going and see where it leads. It will not end up like high school musical. Good luck.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Okay, I've got a bit of a situation. I'm really shy(actually diagnosed with social anxiety disorder), so I've never been to a school dance before.

Today they announce prom court, and by some miracle I made it! I told people that I was going to prom, and I guess I'm a pretty likable person. I don't know if I should be excited or nervous. I'm leaning towards excited now, especially if I can learn to do this dancing thing right.

People told me that I have to dance with the prom queen if I win. What type of dance is this usually? Are there any videos that can help me learn it? If I get to be prom king, I don't want to be embarrassed, so please help!

Prom is Saturday, the day after tomorrow. Court was just announced today. :eek:

Dude, you can hunt Werewolves and solve Mac problems and even participate in the most heated arguments without loosing your cool, yet have problems dancing?

Goes to say, everyone has a limit. In all seriousness, box step. Also, ask a close girl friend of yours to help practice and teach you if anything...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.