Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleCare worth it for 2010 MacBook white?

• Sell 2010 MacBook and buy 2011 refurb MacBook pro (cost ~$300)

Votes: 9 56.3%
  • Buy AppleCare for 2010 MacBook (cost ~$250)

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Keep 2010 MacBook and let warranty expire and run risk

Votes: 6 37.5%

• Total voters

dmk1974

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
My daughter has a 2010 MacBook (the last white plastic model that Apple made). The initial 1-year Apple warranty is up in a few weeks and I'm debating if it's worthwhile or not to purchase AppleCare for it. I have never bought AppleCare for any of my Apple computers since I tend to upgrade when the next version/model comes out which is typically while still under the initial 1-yr warranty.

Problem is, for whatever reason, she really likes the white and it still works very well for her needs. I figure my options are:

1.) Sell the 2010 MacBook (get probably $600-$650 or so) and buy a refurb 2011 MacBook Pro for $930. That way it cost me roughly $300 for a better machine and it is under warranty until May 2013.
2.) Buy the AppleCare for the 2010 MacBook which will cost $250 and will keep it under warranty until May 2014.
3.) Keep the 2010 MacBook and do not extend the warranty and hope for the best!

Which should I do? Thanks!

dmk1974

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
Keep in mind that the cases are prone to cracking, especially where the hinges are on the lid. They will cover that with or without warranty.

Oh yeah? I didn't know that. I know for the pre-unibody MacBooks they do the free bezel and palm rest replacement from those cracks. That's interesting to know about the replacements for the unibody units as well.

dmk1974

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
Well, it's definitely sounding like buying AppleCare is not the way to go. Now I just need to decide in the next few weeks if I have her keep it without a warranty or get a new machine (options 1 and 3).

Ccrew

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2011
Keep in mind that the cases are prone to cracking, especially where the hinges are on the lid. They will cover that with or without warranty.

For the most part they will, although it's not a given. With Applecare it is.

OP, is your daughter a student? Applecare with the student discount is $183, not the $249 you listed. Keyboard deck replacement is $186. Pretty much a wash.

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
My daughter has a 2010 MacBook (the last white plastic model that Apple made). The initial 1-year Apple warranty is up in a few weeks and I'm debating if it's worthwhile or not to purchase AppleCare for it. I have never bought AppleCare for any of my Apple computers since I tend to upgrade when the next version/model comes out which is typically while still under the initial 1-yr warranty.

Problem is, for whatever reason, she really likes the white and it still works very well for her needs. I figure my options are:

1.) Sell the 2010 MacBook (get probably $600-$650 or so) and buy a refurb 2011 MacBook Pro for $930. That way it cost me roughly $300 for a better machine and it is under warranty until May 2013.
2.) Buy the AppleCare for the 2010 MacBook which will cost $250 and will keep it under warranty until May 2014.
3.) Keep the 2010 MacBook and do not extend the warranty and hope for the best!

Which should I do? Thanks!

If you can get that for a 2010 MacBook then getting a refurb MBP would be the way to go. I definitely wouldn't do AppleCare now.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
While the list of options seems to cover the options, it doesn't allow for a priority. Like I vote get MBP, but if you don't do that, get the AppleCare.

The main question revolves around what your daughter uses the Mac for and if she would see any real benefit from going to a MBP.

If you decide to stay with the MacBook, not getting AppleCare means you run the risk of needing a major repair out of warranty. Although for the value of the MacBook and the price of the AppleCare for it,. it might be worth the risk.

Although one keyboard replacement will pay for the AppleCare.

east85

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
Just wondering why you aren't considering a MacBook Air?

1. Female college students love Airs (yes I'm stereotyping), or at least it seems like they do from all the ones I see around here and a couple girls I know talking about how "cute" they are.
2. They possess enough power to do most basic functions required for writing papers and doing research, unless her major requires a MBP.

I'd ask her which one she wants (if you decide to sell the white), after all, she is going to be the one using it for 4 years. The battery life on the 13" is phenomenal and the processing power resting in the i5 or i7 is great. They're both sitting at similar price points to the MacBook Pro. The MacBook Pro is due for a form factor change, which will devalue any immediate purchase of a MacBook Pro in the present. The original MacBook has been discontinued, and thus it's value will also drop at an increased rate as it has been.

Either way, I wouldn't bother wasting time with the white MacBook unless she really wants it. I know I personally wouldn't bother investing time and money into it. It's best to sell the white MacBook now.

dmk1974

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
Thanks for all the comments. Well, I know I'll get some grief for this, but my daughter is only 8 1/2 years old. She is very much into tech though, I guess that's my doing, and very sure of what she likes and doesn't like (she even likes her MacBook better than my wife's MacBook Air because the MB has a DVD drive that she can put library discs in). For her needs (browsing, writing, drawing programs and light gaming), a C2D does plenty.

Obviously she's lucky to have any computer at all and in the end, I'll be making the decision on what she uses. But of course since I am paying for it, I want to keep the best machine in the house that makes the most sense also in case I need to use it for whatever reason (I use a Mac Mini along with an iPad 3).

I think I'm leaning towards keeping the 2010 MB past the warranty and rolling the dice. I'll take it in to the local Apple Store genius bar to have them check it over though prior to the warranty expiring (the hinge is a little creaky).

east85

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
Thanks for all the comments. Well, I know I'll get some grief for this, but my daughter is only 8 1/2 years old. She is very much into tech though, I guess that's my doing, and very sure of what she likes and doesn't like (she even likes her MacBook better than my wife's MacBook Air because the MB has a DVD drive that she can put library discs in). For her needs (browsing, writing, drawing programs and light gaming), a C2D does plenty.

Obviously she's lucky to have any computer at all and in the end, I'll be making the decision on what she uses. But of course since I am paying for it, I want to keep the best machine in the house that makes the most sense also in case I need to use it for whatever reason (I use a Mac Mini along with an iPad 3).

I think I'm leaning towards keeping the 2010 MB past the warranty and rolling the dice. I'll take it in to the local Apple Store genius bar to have them check it over though prior to the warranty expiring (the hinge is a little creaky).

I have no idea why I made the assumption that she was potentially a college student/going to be. Sorry about that. I suppose I just see that often here and on other forums. Anyways, if optical media is important it's understandable that you would desire to retain an optical drive. :D

I'm still on a 2.4Ghz C2D and it works flawlessly. Good luck with your decision. :apple:

dmk1974

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
I took the MacBook to the local Genius Bar yesterday to have it checked over. All is good aside from a hinge that is creaky sometimes. Still thinking that I won't buy the AppleCare, but I just never have had a MacBook out of warranty before and would need to decide by May 6th.

firemedicmark

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2005
I took the MacBook to the local Genius Bar yesterday to have it checked over. All is good aside from a hinge that is creaky sometimes. Still thinking that I won't buy the AppleCare, but I just never have had a MacBook out of warranty before and would need to decide by May 6th.

Sounds like you have a decent MB, I prob wouldn't buy the apple care

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.