Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ubuntu

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2005
UK/US
Man, sometimes when you run into things like this, you really lose hope for humanity.

If you see any other stupid eBay sellers feel free to add links to them on this thread.

""All-new quad-core processors.
Thunderbolt technology. The FaceTime HD camera.
MacBook Pro has more than its share of innovations."

Haha

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Man, sometimes when you run into things like this, you really lose hope for humanity.

If you see any other stupid eBay sellers feel free to add links to them on this thread.

So what's the problem...do you think 1.5 million dollars is too much for an iPad. What are you, cheap or something??

We have to support those resellers or they might go out of business. That would be terrible.

As far as eBay goes...I've bought a bunch of stuff through eBay and never had a problem. I stick with sellers who have a history of a lot of sales and a good rating (for what that's worth!)

That said, I always feel it is a bit of a crap shoot ordering from eBay.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
I like eBay - easy to sell there, sell lots of useful things like computer spares. You get the odd moron, but they're few and far between.

kdarling

macrumors P6

With an excellent feedback score like that vendor has, it's clear that someone simply mistyped the price. That's all.

I've been on eBay since the beginning and personally have over a thousand positive feedbacks with a perfect score. Heck, I used to bid remotely from restaurants using an HP 720 handheld with CDPD radio back around the turn of the century.

I've bought almost two thousand items from eBay over the past 13 years, everything from a $1 plastic part to $300 iPads, to two cars costing $17,000 each. It's the first place I go look for books, computer parts, collectibles, new clothes, you name it. I quite often bid for stuff from HongKong, which comes quicker than you'd think to the USA, and is often a fantastic deal.

By being careful about seller's feedbacks (e.g. checking to see if someone recently might've hijacked an old user id and suddenly has new sales), I've never been burned, either. I've actually made friends, too, via email exchanges.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
I think eBay is great for some used and refurbished items. That is where I get my smaller appliances. You can get near new stuff for half the price that are hardly used. Odds are someone selling an appliance like a vacuum packer or stand mixer after just two or three years is because they never used the thing.

It also works well for some new bulk items. Such as MERV 13 air filters for my house.

It all depends on the item. I steer clear of the computer section as just about everything is overpriced. Unless it is for something vintage, even then most of that is overpriced there just are not many options if you want some part from the 80's or early 90's. I also avoid new electronics. Odds are I'd find a better deal elsewhere.

h1r0ll3r

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2009
Maryland
eBay is great if you're a buyer. As a seller you get ripped off quite handily with fees. I generally hit up eBay for small things like screen protectors, sd cards, cables, etc. Only big purchase I ever made was for my snowboard. I've only had a couple issues with sellers but nothing out of the ordinary. Used to love eBay a lot, now it's sorta so so for me.

magbarn

macrumors 68030
Oct 25, 2008
Ebay is pretty good from the buyer's point of view when they use paypal. The buyer is WELL PROTECTED. OTOH, sellers get ripped of DAILY and fleabay does nothing for them. The easiest scam is this: Scammer buys MBP 15 from seller for $1500. Receives MBP 15 from UPS. Scammer then takes pic of box with rocks inside and claims seller sold him box of rocks. Scammer calls his credit card company and/or paypal and attempts to do a charge-back. Paypal then only requires that scammer send them a tracking number claiming the rocks were sent back. Paypal/ebay then does a 'charge back' on seller's account and takes away the $1500. This leaves the scammer with his nice MBP15 and $1500 back whilst poor seller is left with only box of rocks. This is possible as seller cannot leave negative feedback that counts on buyer so the buyer/scammer holds all the chips in this case. You could take the scammer to court, but it is hell trying to get another state's legal system to work for you and after all the flights required to fly to the scammer's state and paying a lawyer, it's going to cost you more than $1500 to sue the punk.

Ramonn

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2012
Just had a look.

It now has over 17000+ views and 350+ offers!

I think its just a prank to promote his eBay shop...Has thousands of sales in 12 months yet not a single negative feedback! WoW!

I also made an offer =)

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Recently I sold an old Belkin Nostromo Game controller on eBay. The listing mechanism prevented me from setting a flat mailing expenses at more than $6, based on "we can't have you charge people too much or they won't bid". Well it turns out that my item mailing cost was $8.13.

I can guarantee I won't be selling on ebay if I can't reasonably manage my mailing expenses. I'm wondering if I let ebay calculate mailing costs, via USPS, would it do any better? :mad::mad:

Mr. McMac

Suspended
Dec 21, 2009
Far away from liberals
I buy and sell on ebay all the time. To be honest, I've never had any problems other than their fees being too high for sellers. That said, if you pay the asking price for that iPad..no comment

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
eBay is good for old stuff - you can get some bargains on vintage gear. Picked up an Atari 2600 with 15 games for £18. On the look out for an iMac G4 in decent nick!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.