Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Would you date your cousin?

• Yes

Votes: 16 8.0%
  • If they were a second cousin

Votes: 7 3.5%
  • If they were a third cousin

Votes: 10 5.0%
  • If they were a fourth cousin

Votes: 8 4.0%
  • I've dated a cousin

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • No I would not

Votes: 157 78.9%

• Total voters

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
K
I think it's creepy but I was reading online that a lot of people still do it. So would you? Or is that just too close of a relative for comfort? Maybe a 2nd, 3rd, or 4th cousin?

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
No.

Obvious reproductive issues aside (which aren't particularly relevant to me anyway), I wouldn't see the need. Dating is all about establishing new relationships... But with cousins you already have a relationship; yes, it's a familial relationship rather than an sexual/romantic relationship, but I wouldn't see the need to replace the familial relationship with something different... that person is already in your life, and so I think more often than not you wouldn't even develop feelings for your cousin, given the pre-existing relationship.

Although, you do hear of stories where two people fall in love only to discover they are related after the fact. In those cases, so long as they don't reproduce, I'm not bothered if they choose to stay together.

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
Legal in England - can't see a problem morally. Reproduction - seek genetic counseling just in case. These days in UK they kind of offer that anyway.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Hell no.

I don't have any cousins I would ever consider dating if I weren't related to them. My extended family is extremely dysfunctional.

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
Legal in England - can't see a problem morally. Reproduction - seek genetic counseling just in case. These days in UK they kind of offer that anyway.

Legal in about half the United States and virtually every other country in the world.

rei101

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
I regret I never slept with a cousin of mine. There was so much chemistry and caring. It was not a relationship as a girlfriend of course but not nasty sex. There were good feelings but we never did. She is married now but we should have done it and make love outside of our relationships.

So, if you get organize in your heads and understand is basically fun chemistry, go for it. But do not "date her" just benefits.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.