Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

namethisfile

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
on my 2011 mac mini with amd gpu. I recently only had this problem though after updating flash to 11.2.2...

not all youtube videos have this stutter. as a test, i checked the same youtube video with the stutter on my mid-2010 macbook pro and it played normally without any stutter.

just weird and wondered if the latest flash update broke something with the amd gpu on the 2011 mac minis, specifically.

so far, i have only experienced this stutter on some youtube videos, fortunately.

anyone else having the same issue?

namethisfile

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
yeah, right.

boot back to 10.7.2?

are you serious?

you shouldn't have replied to this thread if it didn't imply to your situation, as well, which i thought i made clear with my statement above...

i also don't have a backup drive with 10.7.2 lying around so i can do what you want me to do....

update: anyway, just wanna re-iterate that this thread is less-troubleshooting and more of an observational issue with some youtube videos stuttering--specifically after updating flash to 11.2.2... i watched the same youtube video on my mid-2010 macbook pro w/ same version of flash and os as the 2011 mac mini w/ amd gpu and the video didn't stutter....

whatever.... just don't say what that guy above said...

Last edited:

DarkEagle

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2012
If you are on Safari you you could try using clicktoflash.
Besides blocking flash it will use the HTML5 video container if available. That should stop the stuttering if it is really a flash related issue.

If you don't use safari there should be an option somewhere in your youtube account settings to use the HTML5 video instead of flash.

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
I made correction older flash not older osx

Still means I don't have a backup osx drive made the problem more difficult. That is okay. You got pissed Since My answer looked wrong.

If you do updates without having a working backup you will get efffed. No one wants to hear that .

Just would have made it faster to find out if the patch broke the the flash.

Your testing on a 2010 macbook pro does help since you have upgraded it to the same version of flash. It proves the patch works on some gear.

Unfortunately without proper backup you have to wait until someone on site with the exact same piece of gear and software lets you know they have the same problem. What happens if no one says yes?

Backups and flash aside:

BTW if your 2011 mini has an oem hdd or an ssd inside matters. Some ssd's have had stuttering issues. your ssd may be failing

Also connection is it wi fi cat 5 cable?

If wi fi can you do a test with cat 5 ethernet .

Have you tried the bad video at 480p vs 720p vs 1080p?

When you tested with both computers were you using the same connection.

Are you in an area that the net slows down at certain times? In my area 2pm to 3pm on a school day the nets gets very slow. The kids come home from school and the net bogs down. So when the mini stutters and the macbook pro does not it the test at the same time give or take 5 minutes.

One last thing consider that everytime you do a patch or software upgrade you entire computer can be crashed. backups save a lot of anger and lashing out at people. peace and good luck with your computer issues.

Last edited:

barclay

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2008
i have the same problem,that was the main reason i was installing lion again because on mountain lion it was impossible to watch youtube videos,and on lion it was ok until i updated safari and flashplayer.For me it is really impossible to watch youtube videos,and only youtube because other flash videos are working still fine,i already did a reinstall from time machine without improvement.

----------

By the way Youtube really starts to suck with all the ads ;-)

prvt.donut

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2008
I had an identical issue with my MBA.

Some videos played back awful. When it started to load, safari would freeze and i couldn't scroll up or down for a few seconds and the video playback was horrific!

Turns out that Google is beta testing some videos to playback in HTML5, which is not supported in safari yet.

The trick is to right click a video that exhibits the issue and see if is says flash or HTML5.

i found that one of the right click options is to remove yourself from the HTML5 beta trial.

After doing that, i have never had an issue on youtube.

I would also recommend enabling hardware decoding in Flash too.

(right click a flash video and check the box, it'll apply to all videos from now on)

barclay

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2008
i got them on both html and flash,but just on the youtube site,if i play a youtube video from 3party site there is no problem

prvt.donut

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2008
i got them on both html and flash,but just on the youtube site,if i play a youtube video from 3party site there is no problem

I don't quite understand what you are saying, but you HAVE TO opt out of HTML5 beta testing program in YouTube.

HTML5 video is suck for Macs.

T4R06

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2007
CT
OP - can you give a sample link? i have 2011 model i5 with 6630 but everything is playing perfectly

namethisfile

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
OP - can you give a sample link? i have 2011 model i5 with 6630 but everything is playing perfectly

unfortunately, i can't find the videos that stuttered on youtube, anymore. and fortunately, that is a good thing.

T4R06

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2007
CT
i received an updates yesterday and here is the latest
Plug-in version 11.2.202.233

namethisfile

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
i think the problem is the video itself when you change to 480p.

my config: 16gb RAM / 120gb SSD + 500HD amd 6630 i5

i get the stutter at 480p on this video as well. altho, the stutter kinda goes with the music and choreography. lol!

the stutter, tho, goes away at 360p.

so, you're right that it could be the video itself that is causing the stutter....

i ran it on an mac mini i7 w/ 6630m discrete gpu....

lamboman

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2011
Literally stolen from a previous post of mine, but you can try this to see if it works:

Make sure Flash is up to date. In System Preferences, in the bottom section, click on Flash Player, then Advanced tab, then click Delete All, and make sure ONLY "Delete All Site Data and Settings" is selected. Flash seems to get crapped up over time, this always fixes the problem for me.

This could, not necessarily will, fix the issue.

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
Tried leaving html5, tried updates, clearing the flash cache (rhyming, ugh), and on 480, that video still stutters. Another issue I have is some videos have a lot of double buffering properly, but others are fine. This was never a problem on my core 2 duo mini and iMac, but it is on my i5 mini and on my iPad 2.

Very frustrating.

smallnshort247

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2010
Personally, I noticed this too on my 2011 Mini. It got so bad/annoying that I had to switch to Google Chrome. I don't notice the issue on Chrome.. Maybe the Mountain Lion version of Safari will fix the issue for me..

DrakkenWar

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2010
San Antonio,Texas
2011 i7 here never had a problem...

I find it curious with all these issues that no one brought up Mactubes? I have used it for years, in fact, I can't remember the last time I was on the youtube site...:confused:

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/28608/mactubes

I know it involves installing another piece of software, but to be honest? It's a slick, simple interface. It's easier to navigate with, create playlists, and even download content you want to view offline.

Just my observation on it. I will fire up Safari tonight and see if I can replicate what you are all experiencing.

tmanto02

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2011
Australia
I am having the exact same issue, with the same Mac Mini, however it is not limited to youtube, recent videos playing from my iPhoto library are doing the same thing. Would you mind checking to see if this is happening to you as well?

mattster

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2012
I am having the exact same issue, with the same Mac Mini, however it is not limited to youtube, recent videos playing from my iPhoto library are doing the same thing. Would you mind checking to see if this is happening to you as well?

hi i have a 2011 mini that has the same issue. i have tried the various browsers as well as mac tubes as suggested above with no luck. all videos play fine below 480. it only seems to affect vevo videos as 1080p trailers such as big buck bunny or the avengers trailer they play fine. oddly if i play direct on the vevo website the videos play fine with no issues. could anyone with a 2011 AMD mac mini try the youtube video link above and try changing to 480 to see if they have the same issue? im not sure if it is a youtube/apple or vevo issue though?

edit: just to add i had this issue with lion and upgraded to mountain lion which hasnt changed anything. i have also tried an a clean reload of lion which didnt make any differance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.