Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

murphychris

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2012
How easy/difficult is it to transfer your Mac and Bootcamp partitions to a new mac laptop? Where can I find information about this? Thanks.

Not enough information provided. Models of the old and new laptop? Which operating system?

For the Windows partition:
https://www.twocanoes.com/asset.php?id=9
Realize you might have to reinstall Windows if you have a different CPU. So it's possible you'll be better off reinstalling Windows and Windows apps, and then moving your documents over using Windows file sharing or a USB stick (kinda old school but will get it done).

For Mac partition, you can use Migration Assistant to copy your stuff from old computer/disk to new computer/disk, while maintaining the proper version of Mac OS for the new computer.

marikavs

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2006
How easy/difficult is it to transfer your Mac and Bootcamp partitions to a new mac laptop? Where can I find information about this? Thanks.

I had no trouble transferring OS X (10.6.8) from a MacBook to a MacBook Pro using SuperDuper!. Windows XP using WinClone is another story. It's still missing drivers.

After transferring OS X, I started by using the BootCamp Assistant Utility to make a new BootCamp partition (~same size as before) and then Restoring the WinClone backup. When I discovered the drivers were missing (ethernet driver to connect to the Internet among others) I used my SL install disc (in Windows) to get the drivers again. It didn't really help. So far I've found an ethernet driver (don't remember where) to get it to connect, but that's all.

I hope this helps somewhat.

marikavs

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2006
More information

So I might as well just go through Bootcamp again and install everything fresh on a new laptop?

As murphychris noted, that depends on which OSs you want to run. In order to get help, you would have to state, at a minimum, which OSs are involved, but the models of the old and new laptops would help as well. If you're running Lion and Windows 7 you should be fine either way, but if you have e.g. Snow Leopard and/or Windows XP you could probably do with some help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.